NU's Football: "Experience counts" for the defense

OWH

NU Football: 'Experience counts' for the defense

BY MITCH SHERMAN

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - It's been three years now since Kevin Cosgrove joined the coaching mix at Nebraska.

And finally, we're on the cusp of witnessing what happens when he works with a defensive unit of almost entirely his own players.

The Blackshirts of 2004 through 2006, no doubt, displayed a heavy Cosgrove influence. But the fact remains that even as late as the 17-14 NU loss to Auburn in Monday's Cotton Bowl, seven defensive starters were recruited by the former coaching regime.

Next season, that number is reduced to three - not that it matters to Cosgrove. If nothing else, though, it means another year of togetherness for Nebraska and its defensive coordinator.

Results are expected, by the Huskers and, of course, their legion of fans.

"Every year, we're playing with more talent, more speed, more physicality," said linebacker Bo Ruud, a senior next season and one of the few holdovers from the pre-Cosgrove defense. "We're just all becoming better football players. Next year will be my fourth year of playing.

"There are just so many guys who are getting that experience, and experience counts for more than you'd believe. More than athletic ability."

That's not to say Nebraska won't be athletic on defense. It could be argued that, of the five departed starters, the Huskers figures to find more athletic replacements for at least three.

In addition, the return from injury of linebacker Phillip Dillard and cornerback Zack Bowman should add important athleticism at key positions.

And Nebraska has plenty of room to improve. Despite its solid defensive play in season-ending losses to Oklahoma and Auburn, the Huskers still finished with subpar results in a few key areas.

Notably, Nebraska allowed 331.9 yards per game - the best average under Cosgrove but still worse than all but three other NU teams since 1959.

The Huskers also forced just 25 turnovers in 14 games and did not score a defensive touchdown. Starting cornerbacks Andre Jones and Cortney Grixby intercepted just one pass apiece, and it was certainly not for a lack of being tested.

In fact, opposing quarterbacks went after the Nebraska secondary repeatedly in times of offensive distress.

Look at Oklahoma, which threw for all 99 of its yards on a game-changing, third-quarter TD drive. And Auburn, when faced with identical field position in the second half, threw on its first three downs to escape trouble.

The returning cornerbacks understand the situation and the need for improvement on the back end of the NU defense.

But they're not about to take blame for everything that went wrong in a 9-5 season.

"Critics are going to be critics," Grixby said. "That's what they get paid to do. That's why they're critics. They're not football coaches. They're not behind the scenes, and they really don't know what's going on. A lot of stuff that they see, they get the wrong impression.

"That doesn't bother me. They can say the same thing next year."

That said, the secondary looks poised to rank as the most improved area of the team with the return of Bowman and an infusion of reportedly talented newcomers.

Of the Huskers' 29-man recruiting class set to be finalized next month, as many as 18 could play defense, including seven defensive backs.

Talk in Lincoln indicates that junior college transfer Larry Asante, due on campus Monday to start school, will enter spring practice in March as the frontrunner to win a starting safety spot.

"All the guys we have coming in the secondary," Cosgrove said, "I'm excited about it. Naturally, we've got to improve everywhere. But with what we have coming in, and what we have coming back, I think that can definitely be a strength of our defense."

The linebackers remain primarily intact, losing only strongside starter Stewart Bradley.

And while the loss of all four starters on the defensive line presents a concern, the cupboard is not bare for new assistant coach Buddy Wyatt. His revamped group starts with tackle Ndamukong Suh and end Barry Turner.

"That's the biggest job we've got," Ruud said, "replacing those guys on the line. But I think we can do it. We had good depth this year, and it's only going to help."

Bottom line here and all over the defense: The Huskers simply need more playmakers.

"I know they're going to be all right," said two-year starting defensive end Jay Moore. Better than all right. They can be very good."

Key Points

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Returning starters

• LB Corey McKeon: 69 tackles, eight tackles for loss, two forced fumbles

• LB Bo Ruud: 65 tackles, two interceptions, two fumble recoveries

• CB Cortney Grixby: 53 tackles, 11 pass breakups

• CB Andre Jones: 74 tackles, seven pass breakups

• S Tierre Green: 65 tackles, one interception

Strong points

• The linebackers are experienced and solid, especially with a refocused Steve Octavien, who showed rare flashes of dominance as a junior. Expect much more competition for playing time at cornerback, which can only help to raise the level of play at Nebraska's most vulnerable spot in 2006.

Holes to fill

Every member of the defensive front four could be playing in the NFL next season. Regardless of his replacement, Adam Carriker will be appreciated more after he's gone than while he was here. And Stewart Bradley turned into a real playmaker in his final year at strongside linebacker.

On the mend

• Remember Zack Bowman and Phillip Dillard, the former high-profile recruits who both went down with season-ending knee injuries before Nebraska earned its first win in September? Bowman, a speedy and skilled cornerback who started five games in 2005, and Dillard, who showed promise before he was hurt early in the opening game against Louisiana Tech, are both on track to heal in time to participate in some capacity in the spring.

The shirts need to stay faily healthy next season. I felt that hampered them more than anything all season. Plus depth was and is a issue still. Think... all the LBs were hurt at a time during the season save for Bradenburgh. Grix had a cast, Jones started the season hurt (hammie) and Bowman never made it out the gate.

Also would like to see more faith in using the backups more on dee. We could of utilized more special pkgs (nickles and dimes... ect) for different situations. I think next season we will see more of that.

Also would to see more faith in using the backups more on dee. We could of utilized more special pkgs (nickles and dimes... ect) for different situations. I think next season we will see more of that.

Didn't we use the nickel package against Texas? That seemed to work fairly well.

Yes we did sir. And as the season wore on we did see some mixing of the sets and schemes. Still we seen a lot of putting LBs on WRs that hurt us some too. OU game comes to mind. We have some pretty talented young backups that we need to get up to snuff. I don't know if that happened this year because we didn't see them much. Judging from Cosgrove's comments all season, it seemed he didn't have much faith in playing them much.

"Critics are going to be critics," Grixby said. "That's what they get paid to do. That's why they're critics. They're not football coaches. They're not behind the scenes, and they really don't know what's going on. A lot of stuff that they see, they get the wrong impression.

What? I was supposed to get paid? Where's my check?

You should be recieving it in about 40-50 weeks.....there's a lot of them that need to be paid.......

But I'm excited and cant wait to see what those young guys can do.

I am also so psyched to see the young players and the newcomers out there as well. I think Asante is the real deal, I was watching some film on him and he just flies around and knocks people around. I think Murillo is going to be a fine addition as well and may start since he is going to be here in the spring. Love the fact that Dillard and Bowmann will be back next year. It will also be exciting to see how players such as Thenarse, Culbert, Young, West, Washington, Ross, Lewis, Blue, Sullivan and Lawrence will step up next season. I think Anthony West was supposed to challenge for some playing time before he was hurt.

I am looking forward to watching Lewis play tomorrow. I was a big fan of his while we were recruiting him and was glad that he committed to be "N". I think he will battle for playing time next year not just on special teams but on the defense as well.

Yea I can't wait to see him play tomorrow. I just hope he doesnt end up having a bad game.....or get injured for that matter.