I've never used it, so I'm afraid I won't be able to help with that. I have to assume, though, that it is a proxy setting or a firewall issue. Have you tried - temporarily - disabling your firewall, or creating an exception for the program? If not, try that. Limewire provides some information on doing that HERE. In addition, check out their support page HERE.

If you still can't get it to work.....

Usually you dont need to do much with the firewall cause Limewire sets that up for you and you dont have to disable the firewall just port through it. You might also make sure there is a download folder specified in the downloads section. The other thing is you can install a program under an account and only that person may use it. If thats the case just uninstall and re-install it under your account.

Then your firewall isn't configured correctly. If you're using the windows firewall you need to Control Panel->Windows Firewall->Exceptions Tab and make sure Limewire is on the list. A sure way to make sure that Limewire works is to temporarily shut off the firewall and see if it connects. If it does shut it down and turn the firewall back on. Sometimes limewire just wont connect the first time, so Ill restart Limewire (do not answer to any of the questions that come up) and see if it connects. Once it connects then answer those stupid questions.