Osborne

"The old saying is, you can't go home again. I think this (CU) is a little bit more removed. For that reason, and maybe also Bill Callahan needs his space. He doesn't need a guy like me hanging over his shoulder."

Don't we all need a guy like Osborne hanging over our shoulder?

"This is fine," Osborne said. "Bob Devaney taught me a valuable lesson when I became the head coach. He never interfered, never second-guessed, never came down and knocked on the door and said you're doing this wrong. I was very grateful for that.

"After I left, I had a chance to do color on the radio (for Nebraska games) and turned it down. However I had handled that could have been perceived as second-guessing Frank (Solich). Once you're done, you're done. You have to say, 'That's it.'"

It's hard for me to believe that. It's hard to believe there is not a place for Osborne in Lincoln, as a guru at large, away from Callahan's war room but close enough for any Nebraska coach or athlete to come knock on his door.

Henry Iba, the late Oklahoma State coach, used to keep an office in the first-floor corner of the arena that bears his name. Darrell Royal hangs around Texas. Bo Schembechler had an office near Michigan football. Why not Osborne? Is there something going on here?

"I hope people don't see this as a slap at Nebraska," Osborne said. "These people (Creighton) asked me to do this.

"I'm not at odds with Steve (Pederson). He worked for me on two different occasions and did a great job. I have nothing against Steve at all. I care for all the people who work there. I still maintain a great relationship with Frank Solich, Craig Bohl, Turner Gill and Kevin Steele. I wish Nebraska nothing but the best."

And yet, Osborne gives the impression that he wouldn't mind if Nebraska asked.

"I don't want them to say, 'Well, we have to ask this guy to do something,'" Osborne said. "I'm on the campus (teaching class for UNL) and anyone who wants to come over and see me can do that.

"I've always wanted to do something that was making a contribution. But I don't want to be just hanging around just to do it."

It would seem to me that a strong relationship(not interfering)would be a great asset to BC. I am not talking X's and O's but to use as an advisor on strategy issues. I can see great benefit in BC being able to call this man and ask a question such as

" Tom what do you think was the biggest change you made to get over the hump in big games"

Just the appearance of a little closer relationship would silence many of the BC critic's out there.

I sure bet Tom. was glad the internet was around in the late 80's.

I can only imagine what some people would have done back then. People would have been all over McBride and TO like they are Callahan and Coz. McBride would have been blasted by a lot of the same people that blast Coz. But the funny thing is they all say now how much of a defensive wiz he is.(not saying he's not)