Your ugly your outta here

A sorority at Depauw University is being accused of discrimination after officers of the Delta Zeta sorority asked 23 members to leave the group.

ADVERTISEMENT

The members who were asked to leave have something in common -- they are minorities or could be considered overweight, 6News' Cheryl Jackson reported.

The women were asked to move out of the house at the end of January. The evicted members said it happened because they didn't fit a certain physical image.

"It is noted that most all the minorities are gone, but it's not probably a racist issue now. It's more just image in general," said Elizabeth Haneline, one of the evicted members. "Most of us just didn't fit into their mold."

"I think it's kind of disturbing that a sorority, which is an institution there to promote womanhood, would do something like this to their initiated members," said Rachel Pappas, who left the sorority in protest of the move.

The national office of the sorority interviewed 35 of its members and found 23 of those members insufficiently committed to the organization, Jackson reported.

"Honestly, I don't think that they think that I'm pretty enough. I don't know about skinny enough," said Haneline, who is of Asian descent.

"It's weight mostly. I have no problem admitting that I'm not a skinny girl. That doesn't bother me," said Megan Sikes, another evicted member. "I'm a bit unconventional. I'm kind of more of the punk, alternative kid."

The girls who remain in the sorority are not being blamed for the decision because the sorority's national office made the determination of who should stay and who should go.

"When you look at the women who were asked to stay versus those who were asked to leave, really all that we're left with is to look at them and think it had to be, at least partly, about image," said Erin Swisshelm, who resigned in protest.

Cynthia Babington, the dean of students at Depauw, said she backs up the students who were asked to leave the sorority.

"Our main objective from the start was to support the students," Babington said.

The sorority's national organization told CNN's Paula Zahn that Delta Zeta doesn't discriminate and took the action because some of Depauw's members were not committed to aggressive recruiting.

"In a conversation that we had with each woman, I personally participated in those conversations, looked these women in the eye and said, 'Do you commit to the recruitment plan to remain active?' The decision was based on the women's decision on commitment," said Cindy Menges, Delta Zeta's executive director.

University officials sent a letter reprimanding the national sorority for disrupting students' lives just a week before exams. The school is still investigating and could ask the sorority to leave campus.