White, Marks Leaving

Linkage

White, Marks to leave basketball program

BY BRIAN ROSENTHAL / Lincoln Journal Star

Tuesday, Mar 27, 2007 - 07:16:21 pm CDT

Jamel White of Nebraska looks for a call in the first half against Western Kentucky on Jan. 6. (Jill Peitzmeier)

Sophomores Jamel White and Kyle Marks are leaving the Nebraska men’s basketball team, first-year coach Doc Sadler said Tuesday.

“I think it’s in the best interest for both of them and the program,” Sadler said. “In Kyle’s situation, he wants to be closer to home, and I respect that. In Jamel’s case, I had to make a decison that’s in the best interest of the program, and Jamel agrees.”

White was suspended on Feb. 11 for the remainder of the season for what Sadler said was a violation of team rules. At the time, White told the Journal Star he intended to return. He later attended some practices, where he was warmly greeted by his teammates and Sadler.

Just last week, Sadler said White was “on top of his school work,” and that he was staying in close contact with White.

On Tuesday, however, Sadler said “another situation” arose, and said he told White it would be in his best interest to leave.

White, a guard from Brooklyn, N.Y., said he decided to leave.

“I was coming back until today ��- I just gave it some thought,” White said.

Before his suspension, White started 16 of 22 games and averaged 9.3 points. He scored a season-high 23 points in Nebraska’s 82-71 victory against Western Kentucky on� Jan. 6.

As a freshman, White started 13 of 33 games and averaged 8.7 points while earning All-Big 12 freshman team honors. He considered transferring to Rutgers in the offseason.

White wouldn’t say what schools he’s now considering, but said he had a few in mind. When asked about Rutgers, he responded, “Maybe. I’m not sure.”

White said he will finish the spring semester of school.

“I feel sad leaving my teammates,” White said. “They’ve been with me through the whole thing, just understanding everything. We built a lot of chemistry on and off the court. We became like brothers off the court.

“But on the court, I’ve got to do what I’ve got to do.”

Sadler said Marks, a 6-foot-7, 225-pound forward from Riviera Beach, Fla., asked for his scholarship release, saying he wanted to be closer to home.

Marks played sparingly, averaging 7.4 minutes in 18 games. He was slowed at the beginning of the season because of knee surgery.

The two departures leave Sadler with seven scholarship players on Nebraska’s current roster. Six November signees are expected next season, putting Nebraska at its full allotment of 13 scholarships. However, Sadler hopes to sign one or two players during the late signing period in April, meaning more personnel moves are possible.

“You only get one chance at this thing to be successful and do what you think’s best,” Sadler said. “Obviously, I have to make the best decisions for this program.”

I thought White had some of the most potential of anyone on the team but it is good to see Sadler taking charge. This shows me that he is dead set on getting this program turned around. I hope this keeps up. I think he has us going in the right direction. Now lets just see how well he can recruit with a full alotment of time.