Shukree Barfield

OMH

Barfield aiming to start for Huskers

BY ROBIN WASHUT

WORLD-HERALD CORRESPONDENT

LINCOLN - Shukree Barfield isn't shy about letting his intentions at Nebraska be known. He wants to play, and if he has anything to say about it, that's going to happen soon.

The 6-foot-4, 310-pound junior defensive tackle chose to come to Nebraska from Garden City (Kan.) Community College primarily because of the opportunities for early playing time.

The Huskers lost all four of their starting defensive linemen from last season, and the race to fill those voids has begun with spring practice. Though Barfield is working behind sophomore Ndamukong Suh at nose tackle, he said he has already worked considerably with the first-team defense.

Barfield expects to be a starter by the beginning of the season.

"Of course, that's always your goal," he said. "Hopefully I can be a star here. Everybody wants to be a star."

Barfield said he gets his confidence from his mother, Anette. While raising him as a single mother in Camden, N.J., Anette always pushed her son to achieve.

In fact, Barfield is so close to his mother that he had the word "mom" tattooed on the left side of his neck.

"My mom was always so strong and was always there for me," he said. "Without her, I probably wouldn't be here today."

Barfield traveled a long road to Lincoln after graduating from Camden High School. After originally committing to Rutgers, he left before playing a down and transferred to Garden City CC.

During his two seasons there, he established himself as a force on the defensive line, racking up more than 100 tackles and 10 sacks. His performance drew offers from Louisville, South Florida and Kentucky as well as Nebraska.

A former Husker great helped steer him to Lincoln.

Heisman Trophy winner Mike Rozier, a native of Camden, met with Barfield over the summer.

"I never saw myself playing at Nebraska, but Mike talked to me and told me how good of an experience he had here and how great of a place it was," Barfield said. "I'd never actually talked to him before, so I was like, 'Wow, if Mike Rozier said it, it must be true.' He's like the mayor out there."

While Barfield has worked primarily at nose tackle this spring, he didn't rule out moving to defensive tackle if it meant a better chance of playing. The front-runner at that spot is junior Ty Steinkuhler.

For now, though, Barfield is set on earning the starting job at nose tackle. He realizes it will be tough to beat out Suh, who has been somewhat of a mentor to him this spring. But he said he's more than up to the challenge.

"I'm here to help this team, and the best way for me to do that is to be on the field," he said. "I still have a lot of work to do, but I'm confident. I'm always confident."

Heisman Trophy winner Mike Rozier, a native of Camden, met with Barfield over the summer.

"I never saw myself playing at Nebraska, but Mike talked to me and told me how good of an experience he had here and how great of a place it was," Barfield said. "I'd never actually talked to him before, so I was like, 'Wow, if Mike Rozier said it, it must be true.' He's like the mayor out there."

I hope that's not a recruiting violation.

I hope that's not a recruiting violation.

sounds like the same thing that USC was in trouble for......

How in the world could that be a recruiting violation? I mean Mike Rozier isn't affiliated in any way with NU is he (he's not on the payroll)? Callahan didn't call him up and tell him to go meet with him did he? If an alumn from the area can't speak up for the college where he played ball, then the NFL should get sued for players announcing where they played college ball during the starting lineup pregame!