Talent problem??

Rest assured that the sun will come up. And Bill will be on TV, explaining it all away. He better take the flack himself and leave the players out of it.

Yes, they got their butts whipped by a more talented team. Let's see that may happen at K-State, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Colorado yet this season.

We lose those four and no bowl game, not even the Humanitarian Bowl will take us. (Now that would be interesting-how many Big Red faithful would go to Boise in December?)

Each game will continue to be an adventure on offense and thank god that the Techsters have all the speed in the conference corraled in Lubbock (we should at least pray to God and Devaney that't the case.)

Oklahoma will humble us in a big way, unless the "O" wakes up and becomes consistent. The defense wore out tonight, and that shouldn't happen again. Will ABC still carry it nationally? I know that Texas A&M-Texas used to be huge and they barely get to be on ESPN now.

God, please don't let Nebraska suffer like A&M. Your humble Las Vegas servant,

Huskerebel.

No our talent is not to blame. Tech coached circles around us tonight. we just flat weren prepared. NO way we are that much worse than a tech team that barely beat KU. no friggin way.  our team looked confusned and out of position from the first snap. sad.

This is a talent issue. What this game demonstrated is that we need a major talent infusion at nearly every position. We couldn't generate a pass rush all night. While we mostly rushed three and four, that doesn't explain it - had we rushed more, we would have left the secondary wide open.

When the T-Tech receivers caught the ball, you would often see two and three defenders in position to make the tackle - but the T-Tech receivers simply ran away from them. That's speed, pure and simple. We need speed on defense. I didn't see our folks out of position so much as I saw them unable to get to the receiver quickly enough. When a team floods the defense with receivers, the defenders have to be able to close quickly - receptions are going to happen.

Not sure about the offensive line. There were a number of times tonight when Dailey would drop back, and almost immediately have to scramble or slide away from the rush. It appeared that the T-Tech defenders were quicker than our offensive lineman - it wasn't so much that the T-Tech defensive lineman over-powered the offensive line, as it was that T-Tech line seemd to be getting off the ball faster and quicker, and making moves upfield that the offensive line couldn't compensate for quickly enough.

It could be a long year. KSU lost to Kansas tonight, and at least early, MSU is having more difficulty with Baylor than I would expect - but there are no sure wins for us. We could still even win the North, and even qualify for a bowl game. But it's going to take a couple of years of serious recruiting to bring the talent level to the point we need it.

your not going to get a pass rush when you rush 3 guys, figure it out. They have 5 blockers. sh**ty coaching.

No our talent is not to blame. Tech coached circles around us tonight. we just flat weren prepared. NO way we are that much worse than a tech team that barely beat KU. no friggin way.  our team looked confusned and out of position from the first snap. sad.

This is a talent issue. What this game demonstrated is that we need a major talent infusion at nearly every position. We couldn't generate a pass rush all night. While we mostly rushed three and four, that doesn't explain it - had we rushed more, we would have left the secondary wide open.

When the T-Tech receivers caught the ball, you would often see two and three defenders in position to make the tackle - but the T-Tech receivers simply ran away from them. That's speed, pure and simple. We need speed on defense. I didn't see our folks out of position so much as I saw them unable to get to the receiver quickly enough. When a team floods the defense with receivers, the defenders have to be able to close quickly - receptions are going to happen.

Not sure about the offensive line. There were a number of times tonight when Dailey would drop back, and almost immediately have to scramble or slide away from the rush. It appeared that the T-Tech defenders were quicker than our offensive lineman - it wasn't so much that the T-Tech defensive lineman over-powered the offensive line, as it was that T-Tech line seemd to be getting off the ball faster and quicker, and making moves upfield that the offensive line couldn't compensate for quickly enough.

It could be a long year. KSU lost to Kansas tonight, and at least early, MSU is having more difficulty with Baylor than I would expect - but there are no sure wins for us. We could still even win the North, and even qualify for a bowl game. But it's going to take a couple of years of serious recruiting to bring the talent level to the point we need it.

Holy crap! A voice of reason amongst this mess of bitterness and self loathing! You need to post more, but I can see why you don't. The majority of people here would rather bitch about their team than actually give well thought out analysis of the team.

Seriously, do you want to move back to Nebraska and I will move to Arkansas to get out of this infernal hell Nebraska has be come overnight?

I had a feeling all the haters were going to come out of the woodwork over night, and hey, what do you know. People still living in January.

your not going to get a pass rush when you rush 3 guys, figure it out.  They have 5 blockers.  sh**ty coaching.

If you equate a pass rush to sacks, then no, probably not. But even with a three man rush, you can still generate pressure.

However, I kind of think that's not even what the plan was. I suspect, in looking at T-Tech's pass blocking, the coaches correctly concluded that we'd have to rush 7 or 8 to get to the quarterback - T-Tech's offensive line is too skilled in pass blocking. Oklahoma didn't even get much pressure compared to what they normally do. Rush 7 or 8, and we lose by even more.

Given that, the best way to defend is to load up on linebackers and defensive backs. Concede that receptions will occur, but close immediately and limit yards after reception. Unfortunately, we lacked enough players with enough speed to do that - showing, again, that we need a talent infusion.

your not going to get a pass rush when you rush 3 guys, figure it out.  They have 5 blockers.  sh**ty coaching.

If you equate a pass rush to sacks, then no, probably not. But even with a three man rush, you can still generate pressure.

However, I kind of think that's not even what the plan was. I suspect, in looking at T-Tech's pass blocking, the coaches correctly concluded that we'd have to rush 7 or 8 to get to the quarterback - T-Tech's offensive line is too skilled in pass blocking. Oklahoma didn't even get much pressure compared to what they normally do. Rush 7 or 8, and we lose by even more.

Given that, the best way to defend is to load up on linebackers and defensive backs. Concede that receptions will occur, but close immediately and limit yards after reception. Unfortunately, we lacked enough players with enough speed to do that - showing, again, that we need a talent infusion.

Word up.

FYI, don't expect a response from Benard with any material worth talking about. ;)

Word up.

FYI, don't expect a response from Benard with any material worth talking about. ;)

Actually, I understand what everyone is feeling. What I don't understand is the lack of understanding of what's happening.

Yes, things are bad. Next year, and even the year after won't be much better. The key is talent - as repetative as I've been about this, it's the truth.

Remember how long it was before Tom Osborne won a national title after becoming head coach? The one thing I remember was his comment after a loss that NU had to upgrade it's speed - in other words, its talent. He did that, and we won three national championships. But before that, what I remember were all the comments that he couldn't win the "big one".

Well, he did - and it wasn't because he suddenly learned to coach - he always could. It was because of an upgrade of talent.

I liked Solich - he represented so much of what is Nebraska. But it's pretty easy to see that Solich didn't do the best job recruiting. Well, we're paying the price now.

Folks, this is going to take time. You don't suddently infuse a program with elite talent overnight.

Systems don't win - athletes win. Put them in the system that best fits their talent - or recruit the athletes that best fit your system - and you win.

Part of the problem is that NU has been so dominate, for so long, that many people don't realize that any program today is subject to a slide from a couple of less than stellar recruiting classes - and then that it takes at least a couple to make it up. Reductions in scholarships, freshman eligibility, the desire of recruits to play immediately - all of these make the margin of error razor thin. Strike out on a couple of recruiting classes, and suddenly any program is hurting - even Nebraska.

Look at the teams that have gone through this - USC was average at best a few years ago. Oklahoma was poor for a time. LSU, for years, never seemed to get it together. All of them have come back, but only after they managed to accumulate talent for a long enough period of time.

Give it a few years, and then you have grounds to say if it's the coaching.

Word up.

Thats horse crap if you believe that. You can't expect 3 guys to get much of a rush against 5 guys. That means 2 guys are getting double teamed every time. Also, it seemed like the time we did rush 5 or so we got in there and they didn't do much. Crappy coaching not talent.

Word up.

Actually, I understand what everyone is feeling. What I don't understand is the lack of understanding of what's happening.

Yes, things are bad. Next year, and even the year after won't be much better. The key is talent - as repetative as I've been about this, it's the truth.

Remember how long it was before Tom Osborne won a national title after becoming head coach? The one thing I remember was his comment after a loss that NU had to upgrade it's speed - in other words, its talent. He did that, and we won three national championships. But before that, what I remember were all the comments that he couldn't win the "big one".

Well, he did - and it wasn't because he suddenly learned to coach - he always could. It was because of an upgrade of talent.

I liked Solich - he represented so much of what is Nebraska. But it's pretty easy to see that Solich didn't do the best job recruiting. Well, we're paying the price now.

Folks, this is going to take time. You don't suddently infuse a program with elite talent overnight.

Systems don't win - athletes win. Put them in the system that best fits their talent - or recruit the athletes that best fit your system - and you win.

Part of the problem is that NU has been so dominate, for so long, that many people don't realize that any program today is subject to a slide from a couple of less than stellar recruiting classes - and then that it takes at least a couple to make it up. Reductions in scholarships, freshman eligibility, the desire of recruits to play immediately - all of these make the margin of error razor thin. Strike out on a couple of recruiting classes, and suddenly any program is hurting - even Nebraska.

Look at the teams that have gone through this - USC was average at best a few years ago. Oklahoma was poor for a time. LSU, for years, never seemed to get it together. All of them have come back, but only after they managed to accumulate talent for a long enough period of time.

Give it a few years, and then you have grounds to say if it's the coaching.

how can you understand a 60 point loss. We are nebraska! Well we use to be, now we are a cheap imitation of california.

Uno could play texas tech that close.