Bob Devany rolling around in his grave

faith

I've been living in colorado for 6 months but was born and raised in lincoln, nebraska. My grandmother worked at the University and my grandfather bled red.

While he was in the Veterans hospital he would get out on Saturdays to go to the game. He would have to lean on peoples shoulders to get to the next step, as our seats were at the very top of the stadium.

This loss I know has Bob Devany, my grandfather and anyone else that grew up with the Huskers rolling around in their grave.

I just had to post this to make me fill better. I wish I was in Lincoln to meet the team at the airport to show my support.

Forget about the West coast Offense, we didn't need it before and we don't need it now! Fire Bill Callahan and give Turner Gill the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very sad Husker fan in colorado Faith

We brought Bill in here to take the next step forward, not to take five steps backwards. We were f**king pathetic yesterday. This is the only time that I have ever wanted to stop being a husker fan. The only reason I watched the whole game was to see if we could core again so that we wouldn't have been a new record.

We brought Bill in here to take the next step forward, not to take five steps backwards. We were f'ing pathetic yesterday. This is the only time that I have ever wanted to stop being a husker fan. The only reason I watched the whole game was to see if we could core again so that we wouldn't have been a new record.

True, but when do you measure the progress of the program? After the first 5 games of the first year? I admit, it's looking abysmal right now and doesn't look like the offense has gone anywhere. However, no one has ever seen such a change at NU before. How do we know what to expect? It would be nice to expect a seamless change and march on to a Big 12 championship but that isn't extremely reasonable.

NU pride, which has alwasy been there and has taken a large hit. It's time to swallow that pride IMO.

Oh and Turner won't be head coach.

Hey Faith welcome aboard. I appreciate your sentiment, Im a traditionalist myself. But unfortunately firing Callahan would only make things worse at this point. I agree he wasnt my pick for the job either, but now we just have to deal with what we have. Anyway, look fwd to hearing more from you Faith. GBR.

It would be the best thing we could do, get rid of callahan and pederson and get osborne to be AD and hire turner gill as head coach or bo if he would come back.

Hey Faith welcome aboard.  I appreciate your sentiment, Im a traditionalist myself.  But unfortunately firing Callahan would only make things worse at this point. I agree he wasnt my pick for the job either, but now we just have to deal with what we have.  Anyway, look fwd to hearing more from you Faith. GBR.

It would be the best thing we could do, get rid of callahan and pederson and get osborne to be AD and hire turner gill as head coach or bo if he would come back.

Ha! We'd have the good ol' boys back again. Let the group think continue!

Ultimately, talent wins games. Of course, you have to recruit talent that matches the system you run, but talent is the key. Turn the program over to another coach, and it won't provide immediate help - the talent is simply not there.

Solich wasn't fired because he didn't win, or couldn't coach - he was fired because of a perceived lack of recruiting. That's the reason the first choice was Nutt - he coaches at a school that doesn't even begin to touch Nebraska for tradition, and the Razorbacks are the new kids in the SEC - they don't have the history or traditon in that conference. Arkasnas routinely ranks last in the SEC in the number of D1 recruits produced. Despite that, Nutt has managed to gather enough talent to consistently beat (or in this year's case, play close) Texas, win the SEC West, and upset some top opponents. No one would accuse Nutt of being a great Xs and Os coach - he's good enough, but it ain't his system that does it.

Pederson was looking for recruiting - he felt Solich was not getting it done. Given what's happening this year, that's proving to be a correct assessment.

If you change coaches now, you simply delay things. You'll get negative recruiting, a change in style that will necessitate a different kind of athlete, and you won't imporve talent.

Callahan may well be a "bad" coach. But there's no way to judge that at this point. Until he's had a chance to recruit and to fully implement his system using the players he wants for it, there is no way to judge whether he will suceed at NU.

Actually, I don't expect hugh improvements for at least two more years. By that time Joe will be a senior and will, presumably, mastered the West Coast offense. Callahan's first recruits will be entering their junior years - until then, they won't be ready, for the most part.

Until then, we're going to suffer through the "growing pains" that come with a change of this magnitude. Implementing a completely different system usually doesn't produce smooth, steady improvement - more commonly, you see "fits-and-starts" until it seems that the light goes on for the team as a whole.

We brought Bill in here to take the next step forward, not to take five steps backwards. We were f'ing pathetic yesterday. This is the only time that I have ever wanted to stop being a husker fan. The only reason I watched the whole game was to see if we could core again so that we wouldn't have been a new record.

True, but when do you measure the progress of the program? After the first 5 games of the first year? I admit, it's looking abysmal right now and doesn't look like the offense has gone anywhere. However, no one has ever seen such a change at NU before. How do we know what to expect? It would be nice to expect a seamless change and march on to a Big 12 championship but that isn't extremely reasonable.

NU pride, which has alwasy been there and has taken a large hit. It's time to swallow that pride IMO.

Oh and Turner won't be head coach.

IT isn't just the offense though. I could see if it was just the offense struggling or just the qb struggling. It's every facet of the game doing crappy. Thats coaching.

IT isn't just the offense though.  I could see if it was just the offense struggling or just the qb struggling.  It's every facet of the game doing crappy.  Thats coaching.

Or lack of talent. Even the best coaches can't make good players great.

Got the same talent that got us 10-3 last year.hmmm

IT isn't just the offense though.  I could see if it was just the offense struggling or just the qb struggling.  It's every facet of the game doing crappy.  Thats coaching.

Odd. Could have sworn we lost some through graduation, in addition to one who thought his own interests were more important than the team's.

The problem is, the talent filling in for the departed is yet another step down.

Odd. Could have sworn we lost some through graduation, in addition to one who thought his own interests were more important than the team's.

The problem is, the talent filling in for the departed is yet another step down.

On offense we really didn't lose anything.

On defense we lost dwill and hollowell.

3 guys.

We're the toothless old dog of the big 12 right now. You know baylor sucks, they're always gonna suck. Texas Tech looks better. Hell, we barely beat KU.

I have my friends asking me, what the hell happened to your team??

When they came over to watch some pro games yesterday, they were all amazed my TV was intact. I actually made 15 bucks because almost none of them said it would still be in one piece...