Huskers Ranked 18th by A.S.

it will take more than Purify to win THAT game.

Yeah, but we have a lot more talent than we did last season and I've got a feeling our fans at the game will be a huge factor. Certainly the trojans will be favored, but this just may be an upset in the making.

Let's all hope so. :thumbs

I've seen about 10 different polls that have us in the 18-22 range. While it's easy to shrug it off and say it doesnt matter, what one has to take into account is that the higher we are ranked initially, the better the springboard to a bigger bowl game at the end of the year. If we start out at 18 and lose two games (what i expect us to do), we could still end up in the top 10 or close to it. If we start at 25 or out of the polls completely, its a steep uphill climb to get into the better bowls and rankings. I agree that these are rediculously early, but the more media dumbasses we have on our side early on, the better. Of course, it doesnt matter if we don't take care of business on the field.

I see your point, but don't competely agree. Look at Boise State. I believe that they started the season UNRANKED and play in a "weak" conference. Granted they ran the table....but look where they ended up and the bowl game they got into.

Now if a big XII team starts outside of the top 25 and only loses 2 games (as you say)...a BCS bowl and top 10 is easily within reach.

In fact, Boise St., Wisconsin and Arkansas all started the pre-season unranked (according to the '06 rivals preseason) and finished in the top 12 in the BCS at the end of the season. 1 team (Boise St.) had an undefeated season in a lower conference to get there. The other two had strong seasons in power conferences to get there.

Point is....don't worry about rankings. Beat the teams you are supposed to beat and a game or two you are expected to lose or be close and you'll be rewarded.

All great points, especially the last one. Doesnt matter what happens when you win the games. That said, with Boise State, while they may have been unranked, they weren't your run-of-the-mill out of nowhere BCS buster, they've been winning 11 games a year for a couple years now....also, they benefited from the addition of the 5th game to the BCS (which was instituted to shut up people who whined about schools like Boise State not getting in). But I can't stress enough how much I agree with your last point. Just win. The rest takes care of itself.