Lee Barfknecht

The Barfster.  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Forget for a moment Barfy's opinion.

The guy is just not a writer. His stuff - even after editing - just is pathetic. He changes person (from third to first), he inserts his opinion into a reportage account, and he can't turn a phrase at all.

At least Weasel Woody Paige from Colorado had an occasional turn of phrase!

So, here is something you do when you can't write: you try to be controversial.

Otherwise, no one will pay any attention at all to you.

OK. I got that off my chest.

I agree this topic sucks.

Yeah who cares, just because you don't agree with him you have to make some stupid topic. :dunno
Uh, that's really the whole point of the message board. You have something to talk about, talk about it. Period.

Oh and as for Barf, yea he's about as JV as they come.

To be honest there are very few really good writing sports journalists, that's why they become "sports" journalists.

I disagree.

Sports is the consummate topic for great journalism.

Does the name Ernest Hemingway ring a bell?

Action for active tense. Eye-popping verbs. Third person observations. Machine gun prose.

Whether it's bull-fighting, pugilism, Husker football, or guys getting shot out of cannons, a good writer can enjoy himself and captivate and entertain others.

Barfnecht is pathetic. He writes drivel. He shouldn't be paid for it.

This topic is starting to get good.

It's pathetic to name your stadium after a player from your neighboring state.

Is this guy a writer for the Omaha WH or something? Because I don't think I've ever heard of him...

He claims to be a writer.

The World Herald prints his trash, and apparently pays him, although I suspect not well.

He voted for Michigan ahead of the Huskers in 1997 in the AP poll. That is his claim to fame.

You are missing nothing.

Is this guy a writer for the Omaha WH or something? Because I don't think I've ever heard of him...

He claims to be a writer.

The World Herald prints his trash, and apparently pays him, although I suspect not well.

He voted for Michigan ahead of the Huskers in 1997 in the AP poll. That is his claim to fame.

You are missing nothing.

That alone awards him the title "Jacka$$" in my little book...

To be honest there are very few really good writing sports journalists, that's why they become "sports" journalists.

I disagree.

Sports is the consummate topic for great journalism.

Does the name Ernest Hemingway ring a bell?

Action for active tense. Eye-popping verbs. Third person observations. Machine gun prose.

Whether it's bull-fighting, pugilism, Husker football, or guys getting shot out of cannons, a good writer can enjoy himself and captivate and entertain others.

Barfnecht is pathetic. He writes drivel. He shouldn't be paid for it.

This topic is starting to get good.

It's pathetic to name your stadium after a player from your neighboring state.

Actually, I think you and Eric are comparing apples to oranges, and you're both correct. ETR's contention is that most excellent writers don't gravitate to sports; that those who are journalists who don't write well end up being "sports" journalists. That's probably for a couple of reasons. First, perhaps their interest in sports outweighs their desire to learn to write well (and it is something that must be learned). Second, if a writer is, shall we say, deficient, it isn't uncommon for the small-town papers in which they "cut their teeth" to assign them to the sports beat. I suppose that's some sort of attempt to keep their "hard" news more credible.

Conversely, however, you are correct in noting that sports is unique in that it provides an excellent setting for an excellent writer to shine. The very nature of sports - the competition, the drama, the settings, the passion - lend themselves to excellent writing...assuming the writer is up to the tasks.

Yes, there have been some excellent sports writers, but they do tend to be the exception rather than the rule.

Yes, there have been some excellent sports writers, but they do tend to be the exception rather than the rule.

Excellence is exceptional by definition.

Sports is a great place for a writer to shine, and many, including Hemingway, have done so.

The late Haywood Hale Broun also comes to mind. I never cared one stitch about the Kentucky Derby until I heard Broun expound upon it.

Now, with him gone, I have reverted to not caring once again.

Barfnecht is an embarrassment.