COSGROVE

Wow, it's like being in 1990 again. Insert McBride for Cosgrove and whoever our DB's were for Grixby, Shanle, Green, and Jones, and the discussion is exactly the same. Turns out ol' McBride was putting the best players he had out there but it wasn't until he had enough speed and talent at LB and CB that he switched to the 4-3. And the rest is history.

As for the topic of the thread, Cosgrove, I've been impressed with all the different scheming Coz has done against teams and with the effort of the Blackshirts against both OU and Auburn. I really think it comes down to execution, and we're just not there yet.

Wow, it's like being in 1990 again. Insert McBride for Cosgrove and whoever our DB's were for Grixby, Shanle, Green, and Jones, and the discussion is exactly the same. Turns out ol' McBride was putting the best players he had out there but it wasn't until he had enough speed and talent at LB and CB that he switched to the 4-3. And the rest is history.

As for the topic of the thread, Cosgrove, I've been impressed with all the different scheming Coz has done against teams and with the effort of the Blackshirts against both OU and Auburn. I really think it comes down to execution, and we're just not there yet.

Coz and McBride are similar.... old school zzzzzzzzzz wake me when your defense lines up.Kevin Steele transformed our defense in the early 90s McDufus was completely against it, he was on the pregame radio show denouncing it and making sure he wasnt a part of it the first game the 4-3 was introduced. it was the best defensive performance in the last 10 years. Kevin Steele was a huge part of that Championship run. had Steele not come to NU T.O. is replaced by Frank but without the NCs. that whole championship run was Kevins design. T.O. ran the same offense, his offense just got to spend more time on the field pounding people. (example) 1995 tech game, NU never threw the ball, and won 28-0 (example 2) 1997 NC game with Tennesee, threw the ball 5 times?

i was impressed on the play when the mizzu QB ran up the middle 4 70 yards to score cuz coz took out all the linebackers. very impressive, or when a 295lbs NT breaks out into pass coverage leaving 2 people to rush the passer on 3rd and 22 and they convert because the QB has 6 months to find a reciever. hepulls sh#@ out of his a$$ its actually emarrasing.

i was impressed on the play when the mizzu QB ran up the middle 4 70 yards to score cuz coz took out all the linebackers. very impressive, or when a 295lbs NT breaks out into pass coverage leaving 2 people to rush the passer on 3rd and 22 and they convert because the QB has 6 months to find a reciever. hepulls sh#@ out of his a$$ its actually emarrasing.

I suppose that goes along with the hybrid D's he ran against TTech in 05 and Mizzou in 06. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. I'll take the guy who is innovative and tries to adapt.

Grixby has no excuse for playing...Bowman should relegate some of this if healthy, but Grixby is too slow, too short, too anything to compete at the Big 12 level.

It's pretty sad when you can predict the moment he is going to be throttled and put Nebraska in a hole. Happens way too often. :hmmph

I suppose that goes along with the hybrid D's he ran against TTech in 05 and Mizzou in 06. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. I'll take the guy who is innovative and tries to adapt.

hes not adapting he is pulling things out his A$$ its a throw dart style of D, he is being out coached, and Bill knows it. Ya wonder why he didnt take the Minnasota job?????? oh ya, loyalty :) lets pass up $100,000 more per year to coach a group of linebackers at NU.....please...Coz is limited, his old school D scares nobody.

Grixby has no excuse for playing...Bowman should relegate some of this if healthy, but Grixby is too slow, too short, too anything to compete at the Big 12 level.

It's pretty sad when you can predict the moment he is going to be throttled and put Nebraska in a hole. Happens way too often. :hmmph

i know huh? thats why we need Culbert on D....just watch highlights of last years USC game on youtube....its terrible.

Cosgrove is a great guy......I have tons of respect for him. I just feel he is in way over his head and offenses are developing at a rate thats to fast for him. maybe with the addition of our new D-line coach Coz can catch up to speed. that is if he is willing to accept new ideas that do not "originally" come from him, unlike McBoofoo. Coz is in no position to have an ego. in my eyes i blame every loss...pro or college..NU or any university...on the Defense. and thats how defenses players feel...ask one. they dont care if the offense goes out there and breaks into a ballet...a field goal should win every game! then there is Grixby......

Grixby couldnt cover a practice dummy

So you don't like Coz or Grixby, got it.

its not so much not liking him, its the "this is what works" and "this is what you are doing" thing. we go from a lumbering Defense "read and react" (McDufus) to a lights out attack speed D (K.Steele) back to the lumbering read and react D (Coz).........the read and react thing is dying. we lead the country in sacks one year and cant buy one the next with more exp players? 300lb strong side defensive end (Carriker) that alone was a major mis use of talent. just think of Carriker playing NT last year and B.Turner getting a whole season of starting snaps? just that decision alone...1 player made a huge impact on how other OCs attacked our D. Carriker will never play a down at defensive end in the PROs. B.Turner is an AWESOME football player. a real play maker! sat the bench last year while Carriker fell 1 or 2 steps short of a sack. and no offense to Adam he is nails and i wish him all the best in the pros(wish he went to the Broncos) but man, this isnt UNO we dont have time for a guy with TONS of stroke to figure it out by himself. Chiznik laffs at the stuff Coz does.....hes at Iowa state now he wiil pick apart cosgroves D with division 2 players. we are NEBRASKA where the BLACKSHIRTS win championships. this isnt defense 101 for K. Cosgrove. when he was at Wisconson he mannaged to lose one huge game every year...can u say "CHOKE" that prevent D crap he ran last year?????? go look at film, embarrrraaaasssssing!

its not so much not liking him, its the "this is what works" and "this is what you are doing" thing. we go from a lumbering Defense "read and react" (McDufus) to a lights out attack speed D (K.Steele) back to the lumbering read and react D (Coz).........the read and react thing is dying. we lead the country in sacks one year and cant buy one the next with more exp players? 300lb strong side defensive end (Carriker) that alone was a major mis use of talent. just think of Carriker playing NT last year and B.Turner getting a whole season of starting snaps? just that decision alone...1 player made a huge impact on how other OCs attacked our D. Carriker will never play a down at defensive end in the PROs. B.Turner is an AWESOME football player. a real play maker! sat the bench last year while Carriker fell 1 or 2 steps short of a sack. and no offense to Adam he is nails and i wish him all the best in the pros(wish he went to the Broncos) but man, this isnt UNO we dont have time for a guy with TONS of stroke to figure it out by himself. Chiznik laffs at the stuff Coz does.....hes at Iowa state now he wiil pick apart cosgroves D with division 2 players. we are NEBRASKA where the BLACKSHIRTS win championships. this isnt defense 101 for K. Cosgrove. when he was at Wisconson he mannaged to lose one huge game every year...can u say "CHOKE" that prevent D crap he ran last year?????? go look at film, embarrrraaaasssssing!

Having a weak corner trickles through your whole defense and makes you compensate for them. Hence the conservative D.

Having a weak corner trickles through your whole defense and makes you compensate for them. Hence the conservative D.

not really...thats when you need to apply more preassure and force the issue, playing conservative feeds into the opposing teams game plan.