Rivals New Bowl Predictions

Aim9

Food for thought: 2 scenarios, pick one.

1) We wind up in a BCS bowl (say, Fiesta), bite off a bit more than we can chew and head into the offseason with a disappointing loss.

2) We go Cotton bowling again - which you'd have to say is a mild disappointment - but it's a good matchup (I don't know, how about Alabama?) and we pull off a nice upset to carry the momentum.

Which one would be better - small but sure steps in the right direction, or jumping to BCS, falling, and maybe teetering a road of inconsistency the next year? I don't know.

That's a good question. It's kind of like the end of the 05 season, and last years.

After the 2005 season, a season that ended with 3 straight wins, and the final against Michigan, a season in which we finished 8-4, most of the Husker fans put on their red glasses and started making bold predictions; "we'll beat SC", "we'll win the Big XII", etc. I was one of them. I thought we would roll, and only lose to one team, I didn't know who, because I thought we would win against SC and UT.

But most of us were excited for what was to come.

Well once the 2006 season finished, it ended with a loss against a very good Auburn team. Well look at the mood on the board this off season. Not as much hope. More predicting losses. Could that be that we learned we shouldn't be so high on the Huskers? Or is it that the last thing we remembered was a loss against Auburn? I am still feeling that loss, and it's August tomorrow.

So maybe not getting to the BCS, if only to avoid a loss to end the season would be good for the team and the fans. Just my couple of cents. GBR

Food for thought: 2 scenarios, pick one.

1) We wind up in a BCS bowl (say, Fiesta), bite off a bit more than we can chew and head into the offseason with a disappointing loss.

2) We go Cotton bowling again - which you'd have to say is a mild disappointment - but it's a good matchup (I don't know, how about Alabama?) and we pull off a nice upset to carry the momentum.

Which one would be better - small but sure steps in the right direction, or jumping to BCS, falling, and maybe teetering a road of inconsistency the next year? I don't know.

I'd be much happier winning a bowl than losing one...

I think we'll lose to USC and Texas, and we'll also lose in the Big XII championship and drop one other game along the way. 10-4 for the 2007 season is my prediction.

Do you think we can drop two Big XII games and still win the North?

Yes. If we say, lose to Texas and another team like OSU or A&M, but we beat Missouri and they drop one other game (as I think they will) then we will go to the championship game. I would be ok with a 10-4 season for now, but I would be very happy to go 11-3. Finishing the season 12-2 or higher would be awesome, but somewhat unrealistic. The future looks good though- I could see the following panning out.

Under Callahan:

2004 - 5 wins

2005 - 8 wins

2006 - 9 wins

2007 - 10 wins(?)

2008 - 12 wins(?)

2009 - 13-14 wins(!)

Bowl game with Miami.......in the state of Florida......again??? Pass......

Yup. Then run... then pass some more. Bring them on. Never back down from any opponent in any location. We will be in the majority anyway. But I'm not getting my hopes up this year like I did last when ESPN said the same thing. Sorry for being selfish, but the 'Huskers bowling anywhere East of the Mississippi is a blessing for us out here. It sucks that the Big XII is locked into sending its champ to Arizona instead of Florida like it used to be.

I'm confused as to what this prediction says about our season, though. Obviously, we aren't conference champs, but with A&M going Cotton (Big XII 2nd place), and Mizzou going Holiday (3rd), and TT going Alamo (4th), does an invitation to this bowl mean we don't finish 2nd, 3rd, or 4th? Or does the at-large bid mean that we can be plucked from any of the other bowls (except BCS)?