Rivals New Bowl Predictions

Aim9

So they're saying we'll lose to Mizzou, aTm, USC and Texas???

I think we'll split the four games. We'll lose to either Mizzou/aTm and we'll lose one of the USC/UT games

Good prediction IMO. I guess I wouldn't hate this bowl, but I don't really want us to play Miami. I crossing my fingers for a Fiesta bowl or at large BCS bid, but the latter will not happen.

I think we'll split the four games. We'll lose to either Mizzou/aTm and we'll lose one of the USC/UT games

No. Losing the CCG is all it takes...add another loss or two in season, which is far from out of the question. I say we'll be pretty lucky to get off with two wins out of those four. I think the odds are against us on USC and Texas, and if we don't drop some random conference game which we shouldn't have, then we'll be taking a step forward in terms of season consistency. Too much we've had some nice starts only to drag through midseason. I'll gladly excuse USC and UT. Any other losses are going to be harder to accept now.

I think we'll lose to USC and Texas, and we'll also lose in the Big XII championship and drop one other game along the way. 10-4 for the 2007 season is my prediction.

I don't know how anyone is knocking Pete Carroll while glorifying Callahan. Callahan has some pretty awful calls *cough, fake punt from our own 20 in the cotton bowl, cough* and Carroll has 2 national championships under his belt and came damn close to a third. Yes, his phenomenal recruits help, but he's a good coach too. Anyone who gives him guff for going for it on fourth down when Texas had no timeouts in that championship game is insane. The whole game anytime Lendale White touched the ball he was good for at least 5 yards, even in short yardage situations.

No. Losing the CCG is all it takes...add another loss or two in season, which is far from out of the question. I say we'll be pretty lucky to get off with two wins out of those four. I think the odds are against us on USC and Texas, and if we don't drop some random conference game which we shouldn't have, then we'll be taking a step forward in terms of season consistency. Too much we've had some nice starts only to drag through midseason. I'll gladly excuse USC and UT. Any other losses are going to be harder to accept now.

Agreed. We need that breakthrough win, but if it comes in the CCG, I'm more than happy with that. And we def need to win the games like Mizzou/aTm, ones that we were expected to win in the past.

Aim9,

Pretty much agree with what you are saying other than the bone head call of the fake punt at Auburn. If you remember we did the same thing at SC, but it worked. It is only bone headed if it fails. I think he is learning the college game and that is what we all want. You have to admit the guy has gutts.

I think we'll lose to USC and Texas, and we'll also lose in the Big XII championship and drop one other game along the way. 10-4 for the 2007 season is my prediction.

Do you think we can drop two Big XII games and still win the North?

That's what happened last year, right? And we could have dropped 3. To win the North, we need to beat make sure we beat all the other North teams; if we do, I think going 6-2 in conference is acceptable, or even 6-3 as long as we hold all the tiebreakers. But I expect no worse than a 6-2 conference record; it's what we had last year and very close to a 7-1 as well.

Do you think we can drop two Big XII games and still win the North?

That's what happened last year, right? And we could have dropped 3. To win the North, we need to beat make sure we beat all the other North teams; if we do, I think going 6-2 in conference is acceptable, or even 6-3 as long as we hold all the tiebreakers. But I expect no worse than a 6-2 conference record; it's what we had last year and very close to a 7-1 as well.

realistically we were a second half meltdown and a fumble from going undefeated in conference play

I don't know if I would count on Mizzou choking down the road again this year. Granted, that's the precedent that is in place, but you have to acknowledge that they are better this year than last year.

You also have to acknowledge that WE are better this year than we were last year. Maybe out defensive front is untested a little, but I think they will step up fine. Our offense should be ALOT better. :dunno

they will be, but i think it is highly likely we will lose a 3rd game along the way.

I don't know how anyone is knocking Pete Carroll while glorifying Callahan. Callahan has some pretty awful calls *cough, fake punt from our own 20 in the cotton bowl, cough* and Carroll has 2 national championships under his belt and came damn close to a third. Yes, his phenomenal recruits help, but he's a good coach too. Anyone who gives him guff for going for it on fourth down when Texas had no timeouts in that championship game is insane. The whole game anytime Lendale White touched the ball he was good for at least 5 yards, even in short yardage situations.

pretty close, hopefully only 3 losses.

Carrol can't coach or recruit? Amazing he has almost the same record that TO had in 5 years. Please put down the Husker goggles, they really make you look silly.

:yeah Callahan is a good coach, and is learning, but there is no reason to put down Carrol. I mean sure he has won 2 titles, and almost a 3rd, and has everyone coming to his school, but he's not that good :sarcasm

On this topic however, ESPN and SI predicted this last year, so it will be interesting to see if it develops this way. Personally I think we'll be better than this bowl, and I don't think Miami will be good enough for it. I think we get a BCS Bowl.

Food for thought: 2 scenarios, pick one.

1) We wind up in a BCS bowl (say, Fiesta), bite off a bit more than we can chew and head into the offseason with a disappointing loss.

2) We go Cotton bowling again - which you'd have to say is a mild disappointment - but it's a good matchup (I don't know, how about Alabama?) and we pull off a nice upset to carry the momentum.

Which one would be better - small but sure steps in the right direction, or jumping to BCS, falling, and maybe teetering a road of inconsistency the next year? I don't know.