3-4 Defense

interesting. what i think i hear folks saying is it is time for Coz to mix it up, get creative and use some schemes to confuse the offenses and get some fresh bodies rotating in and out of the game. i honestly think Coz will be under a tremendous amount of pressure this season to produce turnovers and sacks. he better be up to the challenge.

I think there are a lot of great points made so far but mixing it up seems to be the biggest plus. With the

3-4, we may keep the QB guessing a bit more pre-snap ie....where is the fourth rusher coming from.

Blitz somebody. I remember in the 96 Fiesta Bowl against Florida, Pavelka said that there would always be an extra guy coming in, but it would be a surprise from which direction. They would bring up 7 guys, but 3 would drop back to cover. Florida never knew what hit them. I think it would be interesting to do something like that. Keep the O on it's heels, don't let them do anything. I like the 3-4 though. Just don't give up big runs.

interesting. what i think i hear folks saying is it is time for Coz to mix it up, get creative and use some schemes to confuse the offenses and get some fresh bodies rotating in and out of the game. i honestly think Coz will be under a tremendous amount of pressure this season to produce turnovers and sacks. he better be up to the challenge.

I think there are a lot of great points made so far but mixing it up seems to be the biggest plus. With the

3-4, we may keep the QB guessing a bit more pre-snap ie....where is the fourth rusher coming from.

Blitz somebody. I remember in the 96 Fiesta Bowl against Florida, Pavelka said that there would always be an extra guy coming in, but it would be a surprise from which direction. They would bring up 7 guys, but 3 would drop back to cover. Florida never knew what hit them. I think it would be interesting to do something like that. Keep the O on it's heels, don't let them do anything. I like the 3-4 though. Just don't give up big runs.

the blitzing was available because NU ran alot of man to man coverage, and our DB's lately have not been very good at man coverages.

as NU gets better in the DB area, more blitzes will come.

I don't like our d-line in a 3-4. I don't think that Turner would do that well getting double teamed every play. However, having him as an outside linebacker might be better for a 3-4. I do think they should have some packages of a 3-4 ready so that we could use it on obvious passing situations to confuse the quarterback.

I don't like our d-line in a 3-4. I don't think that Turner would do that well getting double teamed every play. However, having him as an outside linebacker might be better for a 3-4. I do think they should have some packages of a 3-4 ready so that we could use it on obvious passing situations to confuse the quarterback.

Agreed. With a 3-4, the linemen have to play a two-gap scheme; if they can't eat up two blockers, the offense can run all day. For that reason, it certainly can't be the base defense.

Can it be a good change-of-pace? Yes, and in obvious passing situations it might come in handy at times. But not in shorter yardage cases - too easy to check off to a run.

the blitzing was available because NU ran alot of man to man coverage, and our DB's lately have not been very good at man coverages.

as NU gets better in the DB area, more blitzes will come.

Exactly!

With our current personnel I think a 3-4 would be a bad idea.

In a 4-3 the down lineman eat up blockers and leave the linebackers more or less free to make plays. This is why we can have smallish linebackers and get away with it - as long as they're quick. With a 3-4, the interior linebackers have to handle the linemen more often. I think Dillard may be big enough to handle something like that, but not McKeon. I also remember Ruud not liking to take any blockers head on, which he may be asked to do in a 3-4 defense.

I think we probably have the nose tackle position covered. With Suh, Barfield and "Beast" Johnson, that's three big bodies to rotate - although I don't know if the latter two can really play. We need Potter to step up, 3-4 or 4-3, to man the base end position. Pierre Allen may be able to play there as well. But my personal feeling is that we'd be wasting someone's talent on the other side of the line. Steinkuler could play there, or maybe Pierre Allen, but Turner seems like more of a rush end player to me, not someone who will hold the line at the point of attack. But maybe they'd put him at outside linebacker, I don't know.

I think a 3-4 could work effectively, but we'd probably need some different types of players again.