Play Calling

It seemed to me that Callahan simplified the play calling on Saturday. We used the same set and the same shifting and formation for about 75% of the plays. I don't know if it was on purpose or the fact that we had success in the passing game with it but I think that we need to do this a little bit more. Dailey felt comfortable running the offense and most of the players seemed to be on the same page offensively.

Could be or NU is just getting a little better with the execution..

Are you saying that we are getting better with the execution out of that formation or execution of the total offense? I would agree that we looked good out of that one formation but I wouldn't say we looked too impressive in any of the others.

It seemed to me that Callahan simplified the play calling on Saturday. We used the same set and the same shifting and formation for about 75% of the plays. I don't know if it was on purpose or the fact that we had success in the passing game with it but I think that we need to do this a little bit more. Dailey felt comfortable running the offense and most of the players seemed to be on the same page offensively.

If you just look at the numbers, we passed the crap out of the ball and only netted 169 yards rushing. We did have 42 rush attempts to only 20 pass attempts. (13 completed). In the TTech game we rushed 32 times and passed 42 times. Maybe Callahan is trying to spread out the passing in the game while establishing the run early and often? Seemed to work against the mighty Bears :wacko::) . I wonder if he will stick to the same thing in the KSU game?

Its kinda hard to say, not being in the thick of it all. Maybe the coaches and players finally met in the middle? The offense is really a shell of the total package right now. That isn't bad, but rather shows that the scheme isn't written in stone, I guess.

Given that I don't think it would be a good idea to start trying to use more of the offense quite yet.More of the plays, formations, etc. Let's see how KSU goes....

If you didn't know he ran like 18 out of the first 20 plays. Maybe he's finally going to figure it out that you have to run the ball and that we can run the ball and that will open up the pass and give the team some confidence for the pass.

Are you saying that we are getting better with the execution out of that formation or execution of the total offense? I would agree that we looked good out of that one formation but I wouldn't say we looked too impressive in any of the others.

Don't forget it was Baylor. Our offense looked good against Western Illinois to but not so good against decent opponents. WE score 50 next game and we got something but until then my hopes aren't to high.

Don't forget it was Baylor. Our offense looked good against Western Illinois to but not so good against decent opponents. WE score 50 next game and we got something but until then my hopes aren't to high.

I didn't say that our offense was overly impressive. I was stating the fact that when we stuck to one formation with the same shifting and same motion before the play, the players seemed to be performing at a really high level. I think that this is because Callahan has simplified the offense and that all of the players knew what they were doing and executed as a unit. As I have pointed out in just about every post that I have made, I say "I know that it was just Baylor but......" The same stands true here. But the point is we did execute and the offense played at an extremely high level.

I didn't say that our offense was overly impressive. I was stating the fact that when we stuck to one formation with the same shifting and same motion before the play, the players seemed to be performing at a really high level. I think that this is because Callahan has simplified the offense and that all of the players knew what they were doing and executed as a unit. As I have pointed out in just about every post that I have made, I say "I know that it was just Baylor but......" The same stands true here. But the point is we did execute and the offense played at an extremely high level.

You could be right and the offense did do well, I agree. My point is would have they have executed against decent talent? It's hard to say.

I think we need to stick to what is working. Against Baylor ( I know it was Baylor and they suck) we had success throwing the football. I say we do what every works the best for us and keep to it for the rest of the game. Callahan scripts the first 15-20 plays and they are pretty even as far as run plays to pass plays for most games. I say what ever works the best we stick to for the game.