NC State starting QB..

huskerhaze

http://newsandrecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...80307/-1/SPORTS

O’Brien goes with Evans as Pack’s QB

By Jim Young

RALEIGH -- From spring practice through the preseason, Daniel Evans has been telling anyone who would listen that he was good enough to be N.C. State's starting quarterback. Monday, Tom O'Brien agreed.

O'Brien called in Evans and sophomore Harrison Beck for a morning meeting and informed them that Evans would be the Wolfpack's starter Saturday evening against Central Florida, while Beck would have the backup job.

"(Evans) was very consistent," O'Brien said. "I think he understands the offense and he plays with a lot of confidence."

A key edge for Evans, he acknowledged, was the experience he gained in 2006, when he took over midway through the season for Marcus Stone. It made his leadership role just a bit more natural.

"I just felt like maybe the guys responded to me a little bit better," Evans said.

It also helped Evans' cause that, in an offense which will be predicated on running the ball and minimizing mistakes, he clearly was the best quarterback at avoiding interceptions during preseason scrimmages.

Though O'Brien was clear that Evans was his starter, he also hopes to get Beck into Saturday's game at some point.

"He hasn't been in a game in a long time," O'Brien said. "You don't want to have to be in a situation eight games down the road with him never having been in a game."

One player not likely to be in the game Saturday is former Dudley standout DeMario Pressley. The defensive tackle is listed as questionable because of an elbow injury he suffered during a scrimmage earlier in the preseason.

"Right now, I think he's out," O'Brien said. "He thinks he might have a chance to play, so he's questionable. So, we'll see."

In other words, don't expect to see Pressley on the field Saturday.

Even more muddied than Pressley's playing status is the running back position, where three players -- Andre Brown, Jamelle Eugene and former Ragsdale standout Toney Baker -- are listed on the Pack's depth chart as potential starters.

"We haven't made a decision who's going to start and I didn't want to have to answer a question after the game, 'Well you listed him as a starter,' " O'Brien said. "Any of those kids could start ... We'll make that decision as we get to game time."

O'Brien said Meares Green had earned the right to start at right tackle, but also acknowledged that Jerrail McCuller, listed as the starter there coming into the preseason, would not play for disciplinary reasons.

McCuller was arrested earlier this summer on a DWI charge. He is practicing with the team, but O'Brien has not said when McCuller will be allowed to play again.

http://newsandrecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...80307/-1/SPORTS

O’Brien goes with Evans as Pack’s QB

By Jim Young

RALEIGH -- From spring practice through the preseason, Daniel Evans has been telling anyone who would listen that he was good enough to be N.C. State's starting quarterback. Monday, Tom O'Brien agreed.

O'Brien called in Evans and sophomore Harrison Beck for a morning meeting and informed them that Evans would be the Wolfpack's starter Saturday evening against Central Florida, while Beck would have the backup job.

"(Evans) was very consistent," O'Brien said. "I think he understands the offense and he plays with a lot of confidence."

A key edge for Evans, he acknowledged, was the experience he gained in 2006, when he took over midway through the season for Marcus Stone. It made his leadership role just a bit more natural.

"I just felt like maybe the guys responded to me a little bit better," Evans said.

It also helped Evans' cause that, in an offense which will be predicated on running the ball and minimizing mistakes, he clearly was the best quarterback at avoiding interceptions during preseason scrimmages.

Though O'Brien was clear that Evans was his starter, he also hopes to get Beck into Saturday's game at some point.

"He hasn't been in a game in a long time," O'Brien said. "You don't want to have to be in a situation eight games down the road with him never having been in a game."

One player not likely to be in the game Saturday is former Dudley standout DeMario Pressley. The defensive tackle is listed as questionable because of an elbow injury he suffered during a scrimmage earlier in the preseason.

"Right now, I think he's out," O'Brien said. "He thinks he might have a chance to play, so he's questionable. So, we'll see."

In other words, don't expect to see Pressley on the field Saturday.

Even more muddied than Pressley's playing status is the running back position, where three players -- Andre Brown, Jamelle Eugene and former Ragsdale standout Toney Baker -- are listed on the Pack's depth chart as potential starters.

"We haven't made a decision who's going to start and I didn't want to have to answer a question after the game, 'Well you listed him as a starter,' " O'Brien said. "Any of those kids could start ... We'll make that decision as we get to game time."

O'Brien said Meares Green had earned the right to start at right tackle, but also acknowledged that Jerrail McCuller, listed as the starter there coming into the preseason, would not play for disciplinary reasons.

McCuller was arrested earlier this summer on a DWI charge. He is practicing with the team, but O'Brien has not said when McCuller will be allowed to play again.

It only took one game to win it back though.