Keller-Taylor Comparison thru 2 games

I'd like to take a moment and compare how Zac did in his first two games as QB compared to Sam.

In his first game in 2005 against Maine Zac was 15 for 36 with 192 yards, 0 TDs and 2 INTs

In his second game against Wake Forest he was 14 for 33 with 114 yards. 1 TD and 1 INT

In his first game this season against Nevada Sam was 14 for 25 with 193 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT

In his second game against Wake Forest he was 24 for 41 with 258 yards, 1 TD and 2 INTs

Both quarterbacks were facing similar competition and Nevada was probably better than Maine. Sam does have the benefit of playing behind a seasoned, more experienced line and seems to have a better group of TEs. Both had to play with many of the same cast of pass dropping WRs.

The numbers do show that Sam is more accurate so far with a better completion rate. While I'm sure everyone hoped he would set the football world on fire out of the gates that hasn't been the case. Those expectations may have been unrealistic for people to expect a seamless transition from Zac's second year to this year. Nebraska and Arizona State obviously do not run the same systems but Sam seems to be doing a good job getting acclimated to Coach Callahan's complicated WCO.

I'm sure the more comfortable Sam gets with his teammates the closer he will perform to expectations. Maybe he won't get the 400 yard, 5 TD game but we can hope.

I think he is off to a very good start.

I'd like to take a moment and compare how Zac did in his first two games as QB compared to Sam.

In his first game in 2005 against Maine Zac was 15 for 36 with 192 yards, 0 TDs and 2 INTs

In his second game against Wake Forest he was 14 for 33 with 114 yards. 1 TD and 1 INT

In his first game this season against Nevada Sam was 14 for 25 with 193 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT

In his second game against Wake Forest he was 24 for 41 with 258 yards, 1 TD and 2 INTs

Both quarterbacks were facing similar competition and Nevada was probably better than Maine. Sam does have the benefit of playing behind a seasoned, more experienced line and seems to have a better group of TEs. Both had to play with many of the same cast of pass dropping WRs.

The numbers do show that Sam is more accurate so far with a better completion rate. While I'm sure everyone hoped he would set the football world on fire out of the gates that hasn't been the case. Those expectations may have been unrealistic for people to expect a seamless transition from Zac's second year to this year. Nebraska and Arizona State obviously do not run the same systems but Sam seems to be doing a good job getting acclimated to Coach Callahan's complicated WCO.

I'm sure the more comfortable Sam gets with his teammates the closer he will perform to expectations. Maybe he won't get the 400 yard, 5 TD game but we can hope.

I think he is off to a very good start.

Nice post BRFinOmaha...the only difference is Keller has D-1A starting experience, but still has to learn the system.

USC isn't the best team to have your breakout game, but he'll definitely be ready. All of Husker Nation is behind him, take'em down Sam! :hellloooo

Biggest difference is that the Nevada team we faced this year is much better than the Maine team we beat than, this Nevada team would beat that Maine team by 21, and the Wake team we played this year is light years from where they were in 05, not even close to the same team.

I agree, Blackshirt...it is hard to make that comparison, but sometimes you have to anyway...As much as everyone wants to write it off, Keller also has experience vs. USC...sure, different offense with different team, but it is still out there.

The stats will come as he gets comfortable through-out the year. Meanwhile, we're still winning games. He's doing just fine, as far as I'm concerned.

Good post w/the stats!! The only thing I'd like to see more out of Keller is patience. At times against Nevada, he looked great. Stood in the pocket, waited for his reciever then made the throw. Other times it appeared he forced it. Against WF, he never really looked comfortable in the pocket. I think with time, he'll settle down, things will slow down for him (remember he was out of commission for a year) and it'll all start to click for him

The stats will come as he gets comfortable through-out the year. Meanwhile, we're still winning games. He's doing just fine, as far as I'm concerned.

Good post w/the stats!! The only thing I'd like to see more out of Keller is patience. At times against Nevada, he looked great. Stood in the pocket, waited for his reciever then made the throw. Other times it appeared he forced it. Against WF, he never really looked comfortable in the pocket. I think with time, he'll settle down, things will slow down for him (remember he was out of commission for a year) and it'll all start to click for him

True...unfortunately, he never had as much time vs. Wake, and he'll have even less vs. USC...so it is probably better he was hurried last game, because now he's going up against probably one of the two best defenses in the country.