The Fall of Troy

Husker_x

The USC Trojans, named so for the ancient people on the coast of the Agean, carry much in common with the nation whose name they share. They were stout, hearty, led by magnificent heroes, and at the height of victory were torn down by arrogance and stupidity. Little did the king know when he brought the horse into the city––the people dancing and in a maddened frenzy all around it––that inside were a select group of warriors who threw open the gates, and at the hour when no one expected, the Greeks sacked the mightiest city on earth.

Today with this football game we have a similar situation. Albeit we aren't playing the Trojans on their turf, the basic moral of the story remains the same. The Trojans are the haughtiest team on the planet, and in this day of football when talent is so spread across the field, they have less to revel in than the Nebraska of the 90s. They are led by a weak quarterback. Fundamentally speaking he is a capable athlete, but mentally I've seen nothing in his games that indicates a Heisman hopeful; rather a soft-bellied cry-baby who can't come back from pressure or interceptions.

The entire football world has given the Trojans the National Championship trophy. Pundits like Mark May and the ESPN crew have dubbed them the "greatest team of all time," (this before a single snap) an unbeatable force on offense and defense. Their fan base is comprised of many such thinkers, who can't read the omens in games like UCLA or Oregon State.

But despite all this, despite the overwhelming favoritism and general biased presupposition from the entire football world, what we need to understand this week (and forever after) is that any team on any day, no matter how good, no matter how stacked, no matter how unbelievably fast, strong, precise and seasoned––any team can be beaten. And I believe the reason USC will fall at least once, and probably more than once, this season is that they are a team with 'entitlement mentality.' They believe, like their propoganda channel ESPN, that they shouldn't even have to play the game to win championships.

Let me be perfectly clear: teams that believe their own hype are destined to be knocked off the throne.

USC is coming into the Sea of Red, perhaps the most hostile environment they'll ever see. The entire state is going to pulse and beat with raw energy in favor of the Huskers, and the rest of America will be right behind them. I think we're going to see our players perform with an unmatched intesnity, a carnal ferocity that Booty won't know what to do with himself. Many teams have played USC, some have won, most have lost, but Nebraska is playing for more than just a W against a top-ten team. These guys are playing to define our program, to cement our coach, and to bring us back into our rightful place amongst the best college football teams in the nation.

The Trojans have already called this game. They're an easy 10 point favorite, and they've got boggling depth at key positions. But they're untested. They're overconfidant. They won't play with the heart that Nebraska will. With a few lucky breaks, tenacious performances on D and in the running game, and a sound coaching strategy, I see no reason why we couldn't take this one home.

Yes, realistically speaking we should not win, but there's reality, and then there's college football. This Saturday is any given Saturday.

:bonez And USC must be razed to the ground. :bonez

The USC Trojans, named so for the ancient people on the coast of the Agean, carry much in common with the nation whose name they share. They were stout, hearty, led by magnificent heroes, and at the height of victory were torn down by arrogance and stupidity. Little did the king know when he brought the horse into the city––the people dancing and in a maddened frenzy all around it––that inside were a select group of warriors who threw open the gates, and at the hour when no one expected, the Greeks sacked the mightiest city on earth.

Today with this football game we have a similar situation. Albeit we aren't playing the Trojans on their turf, the basic moral of the story remains the same. The Trojans are the haughtiest team on the planet, and in this day of football when talent is so spread across the field, they have less to revel in than the Nebraska of the 90s. They are led by a weak quarterback. Fundamentally speaking he is a capable athlete, but mentally I've seen nothing in his games that indicates a Heisman hopeful; rather a soft-bellied cry-baby who can't come back from pressure or interceptions.

The entire football world has given the Trojans the National Championship trophy. Pundits like Mark May and the ESPN crew have dubbed them the "greatest team of all time," (this before a single snap) an unbeatable force on offense and defense. Their fan base is comprised of many such thinkers, who can't read the omens in games like UCLA or Oregon State.

But despite all this, despite the overwhelming favoritism and general biased presupposition from the entire football world, what we need to understand this week (and forever after) is that any team on any day, no matter how good, no matter how stacked, no matter how unbelievably fast, strong, precise and seasoned––any team can be beaten. And I believe the reason USC will fall at least once, and probably more than once, this season is that they are a team with 'entitlement mentality.' They believe, like their propoganda channel ESPN, that they shouldn't even have to play the game to win championships.

Let me be perfectly clear: teams that believe their own hype are destined to be knocked off the throne.

USC is coming into the Sea of Red, perhaps the most hostile environment they'll ever see. The entire state is going to pulse and beat with raw energy in favor of the Huskers, and the rest of America will be right behind them. I think we're going to see our players perform with an unmatched intesnity, a carnal ferocity that Booty won't know what to do with himself. Many teams have played USC, some have won, most have lost, but Nebraska is playing for more than just a W against a top-ten team. These guys are playing to define our program, to cement our coach, and to bring us back into our rightful place amongst the best college football teams in the nation.

The Trojans have already called this game. They're an easy 10 point favorite, and they've got boggling depth at key positions. But they're untested. They're overconfidant. They won't play with the heart that Nebraska will. With a few lucky breaks, tenacious performances on D and in the running game, and a sound coaching strategy, I see no reason why we couldn't take this one home.

Yes, realistically speaking we should not win, but there's reality, and then there's college football. This Saturday is any given Saturday.

Excellent Post!

Need we be reminded of what happened to the Wolverines? Can anyone say OVER RATED???

Experts are wrong, No game is predictable, Thats why we play the games!

Sure the Huskers face huge odds in winning this game, But it can be done. The 12th man can make in impact and the sea of red knows this.

I agree 100% with you. NU has something to fight for and to prove, while USC doesnt. It reminds me of the NU vs. ASU game in 96. We went in clear favorites and defending two time national champs and we were over confident. We came into their house and met a buzz saw of a team and went down. I see the same type of set up for this game. You have USC that thinks they are the best team in the country and yet they havent won anything, showing us no respect at all. I am very excited about this game and what it can do for our program.

One of my dearest friends, well-knowledged in football (Chief season ticket holder), always says:

"On any given day, any team can beat any other team."

On Saturday, Big Red can and will beat "THEE" team...it just has to be so. AMEN.

I said this in another post, and I repeat myself here: I thought I'd never see the day when my college football team would post a better record than "Meechigan". FIRE UP CHIPS and GO BIG RED!!

That was kinda corny (no pun intended), but alright.

Sorry :hmmph

Don't be sorry. Just what I think is all. :)

No no. I'm afraid all that's left to me is to take my own life. I'll wait until late Saturday night, of course, but boy, won't you feel stupid. We'll see who gets the last laugh. :corndance:corndance:corndance

Very nice post. :)

And I know there's gotta be a wooden horse around here someplace--based on the horses asses that seem to be appearing this week on the board.