Reason for concern to win the North

I Bleed RED

I think it's clear to see that our rushing defense is non-existent. We lack talent and speed at our LB's and the d-line is not very good. I am wondering why we don't have talent to replace these players since we recruit so well....allegedly. Here is the rushing stats per game for some of our opponents

A&M - 296

Kansas - 227

Mizzou - 186

Ball St. - 185

OK St. - 181

Texas - 174

We have allowed teams to run well beyond their averages against us this year which just wears our defense down even more for the rest of the game and keeps our offense on the sidelines longer. This concerns me because if we don't fix it we could be staring at as many as 3 more losses and no BIG XII north title.

I still think we will win the North by default b/c I see Mizzou losing at least 2 conference games as well as KS. As long as we beat those 2 teams the title is ours.

I think our D is still a bit faster and more physical than the teams that those rushing yards were gained against. Have you seen Kansas' schedule so far? Mizzou?

I am more afraid of A&M now, though. They have some good backs and if their line blocks for them we could be in trouble. Here's hoping they do tackling drills all week and actually wrap somebody up on Saturday. :cheers

You can't judge how good a team is or isn't based on one stat. Sure they run well, but who have they played against so far (re: Mizzou and Kansas)? And how good were those teams in rushing defense? How good are they at pass defense? How good are they at pass offense?

You have to remember, we have what is probably been the toughest non-conference schedule in the B12 opening with a Nevada team that went 8-5 last year, the defending ACC Champions and the current #1 ranked team in the country. Who have Mizzou and Kansas and A&M and TTech opened with so far?

A&M - 296 They have no defense which is why Fresno St took it to overtime with them in College Station

Kansas - 227 Look at who they've played so far

Mizzou - 186 They come out swingin in the 1st half but fall asleep in the 2nd on some rather weak opponents

Ball St. - 185 Umm.....yeah

OK St. - 181 Okie lite is having issues right now so don't look for them to be much of a threat especially after their starting center is out of the season w/a broke leg

Texas - 174 It's just a matter of time before they get tripped up in a bad way. They are opposite to Mizzou: come out slow but finish strong in the 2nd half.

Texas may tighten it up. Henry Melton, DE, and Billy Pittman, WR, have been reinstated (they were suspended for the first 3 games) along with Sergio Kindle, LB. (same suspension) So things could start to turn around for them.

By the way...K-State thus far this season has had over 40 penalties!!!!

From CFN:

The Wildcats are sinning at an alarming rate. Second in the nation in most penalties per game is Western Michigan, getting flagged 12 times a week. Second in the nation in penalty yards per game is Texas Tech, losing 107 per outing. Kansas State is taking it to another level, getting flagged 41 times so far, an average of 13.67 per game, for 133 yards.

You can't judge how good a team is or isn't based on one stat. Sure they run well, but who have they played against so far (re: Mizzou and Kansas)? And how good were those teams in rushing defense? How good are they at pass defense? How good are they at pass offense?

You have to remember, we have what is probably been the toughest non-conference schedule in the B12 opening with a Nevada team that went 8-5 last year, the defending ACC Champions and the current #1 ranked team in the country. Who have Mizzou and Kansas and A&M and TTech opened with so far?

A&M - 296 They have no defense which is why Fresno St took it to overtime with them in College Station

Mizzou - 186 They come out swingin in the 1st half but fall asleep in the 2nd on some rather weak opponents

OK St. - 181 Okie lite is having issues right now so don't look for them to be much of a threat especially after their starting center is out of the season w/a broke leg

Texas - 174 It's just a matter of time before they get tripped up in a bad way. They are opposite to Mizzou: come out slow but finish strong in the 2nd half.

I NEVER SAID THESE TEAMS WERE GOOD OR WOULD BEAT US! Read the original post....CONCERN not we will lose and these teams are good. I clearly stated that KS and Mizzou should have at least 2 conference losses. Did you read my post?

Well absolutely none of your points address the fact that those teams have good running attacks so far and Army held Wake to 3.6 yds per rush and they only threw it 12 times. The ran all day will little success, they ran the ball 45 times! I never said we will lose these games either, what I said was we have to play some teams with good rushing offenses and we give up a lot of rushing yards. Akron had similar rushing numbers against Army as did Wake Forrest so Army isn't a tough run stopper!

And I don't care what Nevada and Wake did last year, each team is 1-2. Let me know what kind of team's they have this year....when we actually played them. Our schedule might have seemed like it might be tough but both teams are looking very bad this year.

I NEVER SAID THESE TEAMS WERE GOOD OR WOULD BEAT US! Read the original post....CONCERN not we will lose and these teams are good. I clearly stated that KS and Mizzou should have at least 2 conference losses. Did you read my post?

Well absolutely none of your points address the fact that those teams have good running attacks so far and Army held Wake to 3.6 yds per rush and they only threw it 12 times. The ran all day will little success, they ran the ball 45 times! I never said we will lose these games either, what I said was we have to play some teams with good rushing offenses and we give up a lot of rushing yards. Akron had similar rushing numbers against Army as did Wake Forrest so Army isn't a tough run stopper!

And I don't care what Nevada and Wake did last year, each team is 1-2. Let me know what kind of team's they have this year....when we actually played them. Our schedule might have seemed like it might be tough but both teams are looking very bad this year.

And where did I say these teams will beat us?? :asshat

I am also quite concerned because we really need some changes at the LB position and I'm not sure if Coz will make any changes. I believe our DL is in real trouble this year (except for Suh) and the LB absolutely MUST fill the holes and make tackles. As a group they have looked miserable against both WF and USC.

It my opinion that our passing attack can't overcome our very poor rush defense. We will lose some close games if they don't get their act together.