O-Line

huskers1

Ok so I am sure the coaches know what they are doing but this is something I have always wondered. The Denver Broncos are known for having a very good offensive line scheme year in and year out. They also run the zone blocking scheme much like the one that Nebraska runs. They have one of the smaller offensive line in the league if I am not mistaken. Our offensive line averages about 315 and it seems that they have a hard time running the stretch play the way it needs to be run. My question is if we are going to run the zone stretch type running game wouldnt it be more beneficial to have a line average about 290 to have the speed and agility to run and get to where they need to be? Or because our offensive line is so big and powerful wouldnt it be more beneficial to run more of a power running game with some iso plays in there and just tell the big boys to push them back as hard as they can? I watched the USC vs Nebraska game again last night and on a number of occassions Slauson, who is one of if not the most powerful members we have on the whole team, was running more trying to finese his guy to where he wanted him to go rather than just blowing him up as hard as he could. I dont know if that was just Slausons fault or if that is what they teach them but to me with our size up front and the size we have coming in wouldnt it be better to go to a more balanced running game rather than trying to run a stretch play every time we run?

Huskerpower_76 is right, Our O-line is getting the job done in pass protection, but they need to be able to be successful run blockers as well.

well, that is what we wanted, pass blockers for the WCO, but you can't expect to play smash mouth football unless the kids can pull and lead either. offensive line coach issues??