Student Section

I can honestly say that our student section has to be one of the weakest ever. I'm an old student, (went to the military,) but when I was a student here in 2002 the student section was rocking, from the tunnel walk to the fourth quarter. I was pretty disappointed with the enthusiasm for the Nevada game, but I thought to myself, hey, it's Nevada, we're blowing them out. The USC game, over half the students left during the third quarter, but can you really blame them? (I stayed.) But today I was completely embarrassed. Myself and my friends carried our area and we had people giving us weird looks. My friend went to the NU-OSU game last year, (he goes to OSU,) and said that their student section makes ours look like a retirement home. I'm telling you most of my area wasn't even yelling when Ball state had the ball. I could have yelled your name from 10 rows up in the third quarter when Ball State had the ball and you would have easily heard me. It was ridiculous.

This is disappointing news.

I think it is too easy for "modern husker fans" to always be looking back to the glory days.

"IF YOU GLORIFY THE PAST, YOUR FUTURE DRIES UP!"

I mean, you gotta be here now. What happened 10 years ago doesn't matter when the game is being played right then and right there.

So if you're thinking about why we're not like we were 10 years ago, and not giving a damn about actually yelling and supporting right her right now, you have to ask yourself whether or not you are a real fan.

This is disappointing news.

I think it is too easy for "modern husker fans" to always be looking back to the glory days.

"IF YOU GLORIFY THE PAST, YOUR FUTURE DRIES UP!"

I mean, you gotta be here now. What happened 10 years ago doesn't matter when the game is being played right then and right there.

So if you're thinking about why we're not like we were 10 years ago, and not giving a damn about actually yelling and supporting right her right now, you have to ask yourself whether or not you are a real fan.

Exactly, the fans around me were asleep from the beginning of the game up until the last field goal attempt. That was the first time I actually thought it was loud all game.

Well, I can tell you that I can barely talk right now.. which is why I'm posting like a madman on here. I was quiet early on, because I was expecting a stroll in the park.

You think we were super loud in the old days when we blew out Pacific, etc..?

I think that we all thought we were in for a good old-fashioned blow-out today, and it took us a while to realize that we were in a dog-fight.

That said there were plenty of times that I felt awkward because I was yelling my ass off and most people around me were dead silent.

I think it was shock and frustration more than anything really. But yeah it's real easy to be amped up and rowdy when you're in a close game against an upper echelon team like Oklahoma, Texas, Michigan, USC, etc..

The USC thing.. well 10 years ago we weren't getting blown out 42-10 in the 3rd quarter. And I guarantee you when we got creamed by Colorado in 2001, fans left early. Anytime you're getting blown out people will leave, doesn't matter what team, which fans, what venue, whatever.. when you're getting blown out people just get so frustrated they don't want to watch anymore.. especially when they have something else they could be doing.

That said, I have never left a Nebraska game early, and that's probably because I don't get to go to very many.. maybe 1-2 a year if i'm lucky. If I could go to every game, then yeah if we were up by 3tds or down by 3tds, I might leave early.