Now I know how they feel

I have been a husker fan my entire life; 47 years. Throughout that time, until recently, the Huskers were always winners. I know, we had bad years in `60 and `61, and a couple of six win seasons in the mid `60's but I was too young to know any better.

Then we went on the run. The long Devaney-Osborne run of 30 years of nine-plus win seasons. The 30 years of never losing more than three games in a year. Hell, even Frank extended the nine-plus win seasons a few more years.

During that time, living here in California, I always wondered what it was like to be a USC fan (they sucked for much of my 47 years) or a UCLA fan (they sucked for almost all of my 47 years) or even a fan of losers like Missouri, Colorado, ISU, K-State, KU, OSU, or any of the other programs that marched out losers year after year.

Alas, I am now able to understand and empathize with them. Oh, sure, none of the Big XII teams I mentioned have won the titles we have won, but they do know what it's like to suck. And for the first time in my life, I am beginning to understand what it's like when your team sucks.

This is a realization that I had hoped I would never have to face. But we are just bad. There is no other way to spin it. I don't really know the answer either. I hope that this is not the future of our program.

We have sunk lower than mediocrity. Mediocre would be an improvement at this point.

I will not give up (even if it reads as though I already have), I still hope we can somehow turn this around. But I fear a really, REALLY, bad season. Perhaps I feel so down because I was expecting a really, REALLY good season.

Oh well, GO BIG RED!!! I still love my Huskers.

I have been a husker fan my entire life; 47 years. Throughout that time, until recently, the Huskers were always winners. I know, we had bad years in `60 and `61, and a couple of six win seasons in the mid `60's but I was too young to know any better.

Then we went on the run. The long Devaney-Osborne run of 30 years of nine-plus win seasons. The 30 years of never losing more than three games in a year. Hell, even Frank extended the nine-plus win seasons a few more years.

During that time, living here in California, I always wondered what it was like to be a USC fan (they sucked for much of my 47 years) or a UCLA fan (they sucked for almost all of my 47 years) or even a fan of losers like Missouri, Colorado, ISU, K-State, KU, OSU, or any of the other programs that marched out losers year after year.

Alas, I am now able to understand and empathize with them. Oh, sure, none of the Big XII teams I mentioned have won the titles we have won, but they do know what it's like to suck. And for the first time in my life, I am beginning to understand what it's like when your team sucks.

This is a realization that I had hoped I would never have to face. But we are just bad. There is no other way to spin it. I don't really know the answer either. I hope that this is not the future of our program.

We have sunk lower than mediocrity. Mediocre would be an improvement at this point.

I will not give up (even if it reads as though I already have), I still hope we can somehow turn this around. But I fear a really, REALLY, bad season. Perhaps I feel so down because I was expecting a really, REALLY good season.

I here ya. I was expecting a great year out of this team also. Didn't see this coming at all. Sure I thought we "might" lose a couple, but that we would be in a tight fight to the finish. Never thought we would be blown out by Mizzo, not even after the USC game. Now it looks like that defeat to Usc is even worse than it was. The hand writing was on the wall after the USC game and I didn't see it. I don't know if this team can pick themselves up or not. Next week will tell the story. Win it and we have a winning season. Lose it and its over for this year and don't know how the coaches will be able to pick up the pieces. Love my Huskers to.....

GBR!!!

I here ya. I was expecting a great year out of this team also. Didn't see this coming at all. Sure I thought we "might" lose a couple, but that we would be in a tight fight to the finish. Never thought we would be blown out by Mizzo, not even after the USC game. Now it looks like that defeat to Usc is even worse than it was. The hand writing was on the wall after the USC game and I didn't see it. I don't know if this team can pick themselves up or not. Next week will tell the story. Win it and we have a winning season. Lose it and its over for this year and don't know how the coaches will be able to pick up the pieces. Love my Huskers to.....

GBR!!!

I can live with having a bad season. I can't stand watching our team look completely inept. Our players have no emotion or desire to win. Bill Callahan doesn't give a crap if we win or lose. He has no vested interest in our program. It is a job. He can move on.

Our players don't even look like they want to be on the field. I understand down times in a program, but a complete collapse is just sickening.

Davison's interview was the highlight of the game. Seriously, it was. what he said about our program and such was RIGHT ON THE MONEY. Players don't believe in themselves or each other, how could a program only 6 years removed from playing in a NC game in the Rose Bowl be so far off, there are some questions that NEED to be answered this week. Fans don't have to apologize for high expectations, we have a rich tradition that needs to be fulfilled, the passion and emotion of the college game has turned into a professional one. etc...

I just sat there and nodded my head in silent agreement. I like Callahan as a leader and offensive coach. I think he can recruit well and I think his players trust him and play hard for him. I even think he was a steal to get in here at the right time for the program's turning point. But wins and losses don't lie. Neither do the big game stats and the numbers against ranked teams and teams on the road. We have had our rays of sunshine against Michigan and such, but like my brother said last night, "When was the last time you felt truly sastisfied with a Nebraska game." (let alone season?)

I texted my friend after the game was over. He is a K-state fan (who, like most K-state fans was actually calling me and talking sh#t last nite) who knows nothing about having a sick feeling in your gut about the only team that truly matters to you. And for the first time ever, ever in my life I told him that I just don't think we are that good or that our coaches have an emphasis on passion and fire and guts and intensity. I admitted for the first time EVER in my life that maybe Nebraska just isn't very good.

I completely agree with you California Husker. I will still go to the KU and CU games this year and cheer and support. I always will. But today is the day I quit having expectations and gut feelings about winning all of our games and maybe an upset or two and just somehow maybe, maybe getting into a championship game. The Huskers will have to earn back my blind loyalty and will have to play with a lot of fire and passion before I look to them without gumption. They may play for Nebraska, but they are not playing like Nebraska.

Davison's interview was the highlight of the game. Seriously, it was. what he said about our program and such was RIGHT ON THE MONEY. Players don't believe in themselves or each other, how could a program only 6 years removed from playing in a NC game in the Rose Bowl be so far off, there are some questions that NEED to be answered this week. Fans don't have to apologize for high expectations, we have a rich tradition that needs to be fulfilled, the passion and emotion of the college game has turned into a professional one. etc...

I just sat there and nodded my head in silent agreement. I like Callahan as a leader and offensive coach. I think he can recruit well and I think his players trust him and play hard for him. I even think he was a steal to get in here at the right time for the program's turning point. But wins and losses don't lie. Neither do the big game stats and the numbers against ranked teams and teams on the road. We have had our rays of sunshine against Michigan and such, but like my brother said last night, "When was the last time you felt truly sastisfied with a Nebraska game." (let alone season?)

I texted my friend after the game was over. He is a K-state fan (who, like most K-state fans was actually calling me and talking sh#t last nite) who knows nothing about having a sick feeling in your gut about the only team that truly matters to you. And for the first time ever, ever in my life I told him that I just don't think we are that good or that our coaches have an emphasis on passion and fire and guts and intensity. I admitted for the first time EVER in my life that maybe Nebraska just isn't very good.

I completely agree with you California Husker. I will still go to the KU and CU games this year and cheer and support. I always will. But today is the day I quit having expectations and gut feelings about winning all of our games and maybe an upset or two and just somehow maybe, maybe getting into a championship game. The Huskers will have to earn back my blind loyalty and will have to play with a lot of fire and passion before I look to them without gumption. They may play for Nebraska, but they are not playing like Nebraska.

:yeah