So I Was Wrong

Okay, I gave it my best. I was hoping that last week was just one of a number of flukes, but I was apparently wrong. Still a fan, but man . . . those coaches are in complete and utter freefall. Sorry if I dissed anyone. I was holding out for hope . . .

Watching last week's game, and watching this week's game, this is my opinion of what's happening (keeping in mind that I'm obviously dumber than a monkey on a rock):

The team hates the coaching staff. Maybe not the entire coaching staff, but there is complete division on this team. Every player hates some coach, and that is probably because the coaches don't even like each other. There's a lot of blaming going on, and it wouldn't surprise me if communication has essentially shut down among the coaching staff.

Have you ever seen a team sabotage itself? It happens, and that is exactly what is going on now. Yes, many players grade well. Yes, they are in their designated zones and gaps. And yes, they remain there as the ball carrier glides by them, or as a defensive lineman steps sideways. They say to themselves, "Yup, that's exactly what you told me to do, coach," and they look at the sideline and slowly walk back to the huddle.

The players do not trust the system, and they have given up on the coaches. There is no leadership, but there are pockets of angry players.

The coaches, sensing a hostile public environment, stick with the few players that still seem to like them, and that's why those same players continue to play no matter what.

That's why Sam Keller plays every down. That's why Marlin Lucky played so long.

I admit it. The season's over, and the best we can hope for is a rapid turnover in Husker staff. The sooner the better, but unfortunately NU is in paralysis; there is very little that can be done with Pederson at the helm.

Ideally, you get Pellini as head coach. I dislike the man completely, but he is a heck of a coach. He might consider it after LSU's loss tonight, but he will never do it so long as Pederson is AD.

Fire Callahan and have Osborn serve as interim coach for the rest of the season. Admit the season has blown up, and start administering first aid.

I hate to say it, but you guys were right.

Go Big Red, anyway.

Hey man,

I, too, hope I wasn't hard on you in any of our interactions (assuming we had any––I can't really remember). I was drinking the same kool-aid you were except mine soured a week before yours did. To each his own; all in good time; better late than never.

I think the last thing we need is anyone defending Callahan. Right now I liken our state to a disease which needs surgery. It's going to be long and painful to heal, but the longer we wait the greater the chance of losing our identity altogether becomes. It's better to get this team and more importantly the staff under the knife right now, tomorrow if possible. Considering we couldn't be any worse right now if we tried, I'm all for firing everyone who had anything to do with the Solich/Callahan fiasco this very second. If we keep the coaches we know what we'll get. If we boot them and put in some interim coach, at least we have a sliver of hope in getting something out of this season. Bring in some high school coaches or something to teach fundamentals and a simple offense/defense scheme.

Welcome to reality. It was a painful wakeup for me after the Mizzou game, but the quicker we all realize the truth the better able we are to understand our future. And that future will probably involve the lowest point of Husker football history. We need to get our old ways and our old family back and in power. We need people who truly love this team and this state for what we are.

Do it. And do it now.

X

Make no mistake, Keller plays because he is the best. Your conspiracy theory is a little thin here and there.

How could you possibly know that? The only thing we have to go on is the word of the coaches, because Ganz or Witt have never been on the field. Right now you might as well roll the dice, considering Keller thinks ass cheeks can catch passes.

X

Hey man,

I, too, hope I wasn't hard on you in any of our interactions (assuming we had any––I can't really remember). I was drinking the same kool-aid you were except mine soured a week before yours did. To each his own; all in good time; better late than never.

I think the last thing we need is anyone defending Callahan. Right now I liken our state to a disease which needs surgery. It's going to be long and painful to heal, but the longer we wait the greater the chance of losing our identity altogether becomes. It's better to get this team and more importantly the staff under the knife right now, tomorrow if possible. Considering we couldn't be any worse right now if we tried, I'm all for firing everyone who had anything to do with the Solich/Callahan fiasco this very second. If we keep the coaches we know what we'll get. If we boot them and put in some interim coach, at least we have a sliver of hope in getting something out of this season. Bring in some high school coaches or something to teach fundamentals and a simple offense/defense scheme.

Welcome to reality. It was a painful wakeup for me after the Mizzou game, but the quicker we all realize the truth the better able we are to understand our future. And that future will probably involve the lowest point of Husker football history. We need to get our old ways and our old family back and in power. We need people who truly love this team and this state for what we are.

Do it. And do it now.

X

Right now, if the rankings are to be believed even remotely, we have good recruits that better coaches could probably mold into something pretty special. It's just hard to believe that so many other highly-regarded recruits turned out so well, while the ones that came here just *happened* to be the lemons. I don't buy it. Sure, not every X-star recruit turns out to be as advertised, but to have such a poor turnaround? Nah... sure you can manipulate stats, but probability just makes it too unlikely.

Make no mistake, Keller plays because he is the best. Your conspiracy theory is a little thin here and there.

I agree that Keller is best, but why haven't Ganz and Witt or whoever been playing when we're getting shelled? I mean did you see anyone but Keller take a snap against USC? Did you see them take a snap against Mizzou? How about today? It's really stupid we don't play a backup QB when we're getting our asses handed to us.

I agree that Keller is best, but why haven't Ganz and Witt or whoever been playing when we're getting shelled? I mean did you see anyone but Keller take a snap against USC? Did you see them take a snap against Mizzou? How about today? It's really stupid we don't play a backup QB when we're getting our asses handed to us.

Simple truth: we're trying to cover up the fact we got our asses handed to us by gettin gpoints on the board. It's amazing when you think that 3 of the 4 worse home losses came when Callahan is/was coach.

If we look at the fact that Keller's best performances came against the likes of ISU and USC's ninth string, I'm not so hyped on him anymore. He's not a mobile QB, which I believe is necessary to a fully-functional offense. I hope Gabbert doesn't de-commit––we'll need his speed and power next year when Turner Gill is back and running the option ( :restore ).

X