Marcus Mendoza

From journalstar.com blog:

Mendoza ready

Be on the lookout for true freshman running back Marcus Mendoza in Saturday’s game against Texas A&M.

Nebraska coach Bill Callahan wouldn’t guarantee Mendoza would play but said there’s “a good chance.”

Mendoza hasn’t played yet this season.

“We think he gives us a spark, he gives us a different style of back,” Callahan said.

Mendoza, a 5-foot-10, 185-pound running back from Houston, was among players who enrolled early and participated in spring practice.

Mendoza ran for nearly 700 yards and caught 20 passes for 250 yards as a senior in high school.

“We can utilize him as a wide receiver, we can throw to him out of the backfield,” Callahan said. “He has a little bit of Cory Ross in him, his shiftiness, kind of a level where he’s a little bit lower because he’s smaller. He can be way one way and dart the other, and you really don’t see him because he can hide behind that offensive line.”

Callahan said true freshmen Anthony Blue and Eric Hagg could also see more time on defense.

http://www.journalstar.com/blog/huskers.php

Mendoza ready

Be on the lookout for true freshman running back Marcus Mendoza in Saturday’s game against Texas A&M.

Nebraska coach Bill Callahan wouldn’t guarantee Mendoza would play but said there’s “a good chance.”

“We think he gives us a spark, he gives us a different style of back,” Callahan said.

Mendoza, a 5-foot-10, 185-pound running back from Houston, was among players who enrolled early and participated in spring practice.

Mendoza ran for nearly 700 yards and caught 20 passes for 250 yards as a senior in high school.

“We can utilize him as a wide receiver, we can throw to him out of the backfield,” Callahan said. “He has a little bit of Cory Ross in him, his shiftiness, kind of a level where he’s a little bit lower because he’s smaller. He can be way one way and dart the other, and you really don’t see him because he can hide behind that offensive line.”

Callahan said true freshmen Anthony Blue and Eric Hagg could also see more time on defense.

Alot of this season makes no sense

Mendoza ready

to be honest i am interested in seeing what he can do.......a lot of those small backs have been doing very good lately, so who knows. i do agree that it seems odd to burn a redshirt with 5 games left, but not much has made sense this year.

Mendoza ready

to be honest i am interested in seeing what he can do.......a lot of those small backs have been doing very good lately, so who knows. i do agree that it seems odd to burn a redshirt with 5 games left, but not much has made sense this year.

do you think that maybe Cally is mad that he will be gone and/or is leaving in some way, shape or form and will try and make the team spin out of control until he is gone?

i say that because A)he would definitely be fired and get his buyout

B)i'm sure with his tradition-hating ways, and all the negative things said about him, he would love some type of vengance

Mendoza ready

If I was a redshirt I would refuse to play! Who knows what BC is thinking at this point but he played Niles Paul for what two series in the Nevada and I havent seen him since. Was that worth wasting a year from him? Cal may burn everybodys redshirt just to spite the program at this point. The faster hes gone the less damage he does to the program.

Wasn't he supposed to redshirt?

Well, atleast Cally is trying something different

It seems like he's burning redshirts as a big "FU" to all of us. What a prick.

that's what it seems like to me, but lets just wave as we see him, kill him with kindness maybe? say it was a business decision?

Mendoza ready

do you think that maybe Cally is mad that he will be gone and/or is leaving in some way, shape or form and will try and make the team spin out of control until he is gone?

B)i'm sure with his tradition-hating ways, and all the negative things said about him, he would love some type of vengance

yeah i agree, but at the same time i am interested and intrigued.

Maybe Callahan thinks he can win a game by playing the freshman...more like a desperate move to try and save his job?

Or maybe it is a big "FU" to all of us...

Mendoza ready

yeah i agree, but at the same time i am interested and intrigued.

someone should have their 85 yr. old grandma run up to good ol' Cally and give him a HUGE WET SLOBBERING kiss right on the lips sayin, thanks for killin my team, then wrap him in a 1995 National Championship blanket, mixed with pictures of Steve pederson and Al Davis...and on the other side a picture of a big ol' middle finger!

Maybe Callahan thinks he can win a game by playing the freshman...more like a desperate move to try and save his job?

Or maybe it is a big "FU" to all of us...

No I would tend to believe the latter.....I hope everyone there starts chanting "we want BO" just to piss him off