Players Recruited for the WCO

Besides a QB that is mobile and can take punishment; why cannot a WCO set of recruits run a spread option attack? We need the quickness and strength of the WCO O-line and the receivers/blocking downfield to get open on play action passes. Looks like we have running skills if the line could provide an opportunity. Why could the right coaching staff not take our kids recruited for the WCO and make them successful in something besides the WCO.

Football is football. Quickness and toughness is needed in whatever offense you run.

I don't see this as a problem if the recruiting classes have actually been as good as reported. Is the quality of the new kids smoke up our butt too? If the recruiting quality has been questionable, we have a long road back.

Besides a QB that is mobile and can take punishment; why cannot a WCO set of recruits run a spread option attack? We need the quickness and strength of the WCO O-line and the receivers/blocking downfield to get open on play action passes. Looks like we have running skills if the line could provide an opportunity. Why could the right coaching staff not take our kids recruited for the WCO and make them successful in something besides the WCO.

Football is football. Quickness and toughness is needed in whatever offense you run.

I don't see this as a problem if the recruiting classes have actually been as good as reported. Is the quality of the new kids smoke up our butt too? If the recruiting quality has been questionable, we have a long road back.

I have no doubt that these players can work the option. The main ingredient though, for a really good option, is a bruiser of a QB like Frost, Frazier, Berringer, Crouch, etc.

A lot of them don't want to run the spread option attack. I know for a fact that if T.O. brings in a coach that wants to focus on the run, we will see receivers transfer.

I think you can run a version of the spread option and still have a good passing game. Or at least run a version of the spread, with the option as part of it, and keep your passing game.

stop saying spread option. they can run shotgun spread. flanker screens, hb zone or direct plays. curl and out routes. corner routes. just because tim tebow runs every down doesn't mean that's how spread is run. that's how urban meyer and rich rodriguez run it. we could run it like the colts or the pats run it. we could even run it like Texas Tech runs it. stop saying option. it's only a play. it's not a bas offense.

stop saying spread option. they can run shotgun spread. flanker screens, hb zone or direct plays. curl and out routes. corner routes. just because tim tebow runs every down doesn't mean that's how spread is run. that's how urban meyer and rich rodriguez run it. we could run it like the colts or the pats run it. we could even run it like Texas Tech runs it. stop saying option. it's only a play. it's not a bas offense.

I would call WV offense a spread option. I understand it's only a play, but that is mainly what WV runs, is it not? An option play out of a spread formation. Hence, I would term their offense the spread option. I don't know if anyone else runs a true spread option, but I would certainly call it an offense for them.

With a good coaching staff I can see these players doing anything. I don't buy the lack of talent excuse. Maybe I did during the first couple years of the Cally era, but not any more.

We need a coach with fire and passion. Also, the way practices are conducted needs to change. I heard T.O. say numerous times this week that when he was coaching they had multiple stations going on at all times. Seems to me that Cally limits the reps to those who will be playing and no one else gets a chance to learn or gain experience.

A lot of them don't want to run the spread option attack. I know for a fact that if T.O. brings in a coach that wants to focus on the run, we will see receivers transfer.

No doubt about that. Option football doesn't get receivers to the NFL. Same with QBs.

Can you really say were getting the NFL type receivers right now in this offense?

No doubt about that. Option football doesn't get receivers to the NFL. Same with QBs.

Can you really say were getting the NFL type receivers right now in this offense?

ah, let me help you with that one, the answer would be no.