Nebraska's Nightmare ...

NU#1

I, like many of you, have been going to football games and following the Huskers since I was a toddler (some 40+ years ago). My dad (who has since passed) grew up in Nebraska and Saturday's in the fall became my favorite days of the year. We lived in Kansas, but we made the trips to Lincoln, Manhattan, and Lawrence to see our beloved Cornhuskers at every opportunity. I think of my dad every time I see the replay of Johnny the Jet tearing them loose from their shoes. Some seasons were better than others, but it was always special to be a part of this incredible family of people wearing red. My dad and I knew there was no place like Nebraska.

I ended up going to UNL and now live in Lincoln. I have been taking my son to games since he was a toddler (he's now 17). I can vividly remember him starting to tear up when it looked like the Huskers were going to lose at Missouri in 97. I was already consoling him and trying to explain that losing was going to be hard, but we had to realize we couldn't win them all. Amazingly, the Huskers did win that day and we literally went outside and starting yelling and celebrating in the street. That day, there was certainly no place like Nebraska.

Today I arrived at the stadium with my son and I was never more proud of the fans. So many people were trying so hard to stay positive even as the game got out of reach. It would be an enormous understatement to say it was hard to watch what was happening on the field. The hardest thing to understand is how this has gotten so bad so fast. It was a surreal feeling to walk from the stadium to our car after the game because even though we were in a crowd of thousands, it was practically silent. What was there to talk about? We certainly didn't want to relive what we had just seen.

Some may disagree, but I believe that being a Husker fan isn't about national championships or even nine win seasons. I honestly believe that most Nebraskans (natives and imports) believe that the glory is not in the victory but in the deed. The sick feeling I have right now is that for the first time, it seems like some of the players and most of the coaches have given up on the victory, the glory, and saddest of all, the deed. For them, there are lots of places like Nebraska.

In thinking this over, I only have one question. When will this nightmare end?

I, like many of you, have been going to football games and following the Huskers since I was a toddler (some 40+ years ago). My dad (who has since passed) grew up in Nebraska and Saturday's in the fall became my favorite days of the year. We lived in Kansas, but we made the trips to Lincoln, Manhattan, and Lawrence to see our beloved Cornhuskers at every opportunity. I think of my dad every time I see the replay of Johnny the Jet tearing them loose from their shoes. Some seasons were better than others, but it was always special to be a part of this incredible family of people wearing red. My dad and I knew there was no place like Nebraska.

I ended up going to UNL and now live in Lincoln. I have been taking my son to games since he was a toddler (he's now 17). I can vividly remember him starting to tear up when it looked like the Huskers were going to lose at Missouri in 97. I was already consoling him and trying to explain that losing was going to be hard, but we had to realize we couldn't win them all. Amazingly, the Huskers did win that day and we literally went outside and starting yelling and celebrating in the street. That day, there was certainly no place like Nebraska.

Today I arrived at the stadium with my son and I was never more proud of the fans. So many people were trying so hard to stay positive even as the game got out of reach. It would be an enormous understatement to say it was hard to watch what was happening on the field. The hardest thing to understand is how this has gotten so bad so fast. It was a surreal feeling to walk from the stadium to our car after the game because even though we were in a crowd of thousands, it was practically silent. What was there to talk about? We certainly didn't want to relive what we had just seen.

Some may disagree, but I believe that being a Husker fan isn't about national championships or even nine win seasons. I honestly believe that most Nebraskans (natives and imports) believe that the glory is not in the victory but in the deed. The sick feeling I have right now is that for the first time, it seems like some of the players and most of the coaches have given up on the victory, the glory, and saddest of all, the deed. For them, there are lots of places like Nebraska.

When we all wake up. Damn we aren't dreaming. Rats! <_<

Great family tradition you have there. Your dad would be proud.

Yes, I too am surprised how quickly things have spiraled out of control. I hate to say it, but this is a total collapse.

During our dark days I believe we had a 3-8 season. Thats unimaginable but it happened. It was like living in a kind of nightmare and you couldn't wake up.

END ?? Its just starting, Next week Texas.....Say that out loud "TEXAS" I dont know about you but that scares the heck out of me. What 30....40....maybe more points we get beat by.....Just think about this Husker team beating TEXAS....(Man that would be great) but reality is hitting hard here....

I hope the coaches have a plan to compete and not a plan to just show up.

Confused Fan

Well you started out well. We're all sad, hurt, betrayed, pissed off, and lost. It's a grieving process. But look, this is temporary and we will have our day once again. Good news is that it can't get any worse. Bill will be gone and his cronies will follow suit. Pederson was a mistake and he made a mistake. Callahan represents desperate measures from a desperate man who wanted a big name. That said big name has run the program into the soil. Good news is that this is Nebraska and good things come from the soil. Callahan is gone and we will rise from the ground into something greater than ever. Be patient and keep the faith. GBR

I heard what Bill said this week, he said he was doing an excellent job. Isn't he? He said he was. The reign of incompetence will be over as soon as Dr. Tom mercifully puts US out of our misery and fires this clown. We just lost our last winable game of the season, and it wasn't close. And the man thinks he's doing an excellent job,,,,, we've all been conned by pederson and cally.

I heard what Bill said this week, he said he was doing an excellent job. Isn't he? He said he was. The reign of incompetence will be over as soon as Dr. Tom mercifully puts US out of our misery and fires this clown. We just lost our last winable game of the season, and it wasn't close. And the man thinks he's doing an excellent job,,,,, we've all been conned by pederson and cally.

He single-handedly lost the offense, the defense, his copy of "College Football for Dummies", and the integrity of NU football. What's left, taking the "N" off the helmets? Maybe that's next week. There is comfort in knowing the future WILL be better when he's gone! Can we play Colorado tomorrow?????

Welcome to the board and...how did your son like the game? I screamed and yelled and wanted NU to pull it off...but that isn't always the grand scheme of things. One thing that was kind of comical...a guy behind us yelled the S-bomb right when it was getting quiet, and there was a young girl, maybe 10, in front of us...and he immediately yelled, 'shoot' after his comment. Everyone laughed, it was completely understandable why he yelled what he did...but even though NU fans may not be who they are supposed to be...they are trying.

...One thing that was kind of comical...a guy behind us yelled the S-bomb right when it was getting quiet, and there was a young girl, maybe 10, in front of us...and he immediately yelled, 'shoot' after his comment. Everyone laughed, it was completely understandable why he yelled what he did...but even though NU fans may not be who they are supposed to be...they are trying.

Thats funny! At least you got a good "you had to have been there" laugh.

Sounds like that guy is a true Husker fan, frustrated but still knows who he is and where he was at.

That's the thing that I was really amazed at. The fans tried as hard as they could for as long as they could. It was pretty loud for most parts of the game. The really true fans are attending the games now. I feel KST game will be quite loud as well.

P.S. By the way, it was the second week in a row I purchased a ticket outside the stadium for under $10 to see the beloved Huskers play.

That's the definition of 'arrogance.' :angry: He's a jerk.