This Season Is A Perfect Example Of Why We Should Have A Playoff System

College Playoff System  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A playoff devalues the regular season. Take a look at other sports who have playoffs. They all end up with champions who should have no reason to be there, other than getting hot at the end of the year. College football is the only sport where ALL the games matter. Changing that would ruin something special.

How many teams would be chosen for this playoff?

The teams for the playoff would still be chosen using the polls, you are still going to have a number of one loss or two loss teams(depending on how many teams & the season) that don't make it into the playoff. I don't see where the playoff system would be any better based on this, there is still going to be a number of upset teams/coaches/conferences.

I don't think that the bowls will allow this to happen anyway, we all know that money talks and BS walks.

Probably the only realistic solution is a +1 at the end of the bowl season.IMO

I can't decide . . . while I think a playoff would be a good way to determine THE national champion, I love the bowls. Granted, the bowls need some serious work. I think we need to reduce the number of bowl games by half. Also, as previously stated, a playoff would devalue the regular season, and I think that would be the real penalty. In-season rivalries and big games are what make college football what it is.

I can't decide . . . while I think a playoff would be a good way to determine THE national champion, I love the bowls. Granted, the bowls need some serious work. I think we need to reduce the number of bowl games by half. Also, as previously stated, a playoff would devalue the regular season, and I think that would be the real penalty. In-season rivalries and big games are what make college football what it is.

Here's a 'what if...?' for ya...

There's 119 teams in D1. Suppose we organized them into 3 30 team leagues and 1 29 team league. Assigned 1 major bowl (Rose, Fiesta, Sugar and Orange) to each league as it's "Super-Bowl". Then each league could have an 8 team , 3 game playoff in December for those bowls which get played on New year's day. The Minor bowls could be the hosts of the playoffs. Either that or let them have their pick of non-playoff teams and Bowl to their hearts content.

Can the idea of a 'national' champion altogether. With a national championship, somebody is always going to whine 'my team got screwed'. People will be as happy with it once it's here as they are with the bowls now, so why change? Let teams be "Rose Bowl Champion' or Orange Bowl Champion' or whatever. If you still just *HAD* to have a NC, then take the 4 winners of the major bowls and have 2 more games and that settles it. Season done by mid January. I figure this would makethe season one game longer for the final 2 teams , which isn't so bad. Small schools get a better chance of national exposure, AND we get to keep the bowl games and most rivalries mostly intact.

Just my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Money talks with todays game. Which why i am surprised the everyone is so opposed to a playoff. You have the 4 major bowls Rose, Fiesta, Sugar and Orange. Take the top 4 teams in BCS Standings to playoff for championship. Fat Cats still have say in who "best team" is. Winners play for title. Its only one extra game for each team, and a an early or late season loss still hurts making each game still as important. Then you take numbers 5 and 6 and have them play in the remaining big bowl, this would allow smaller programs to still make the leap to the big time. Play out the rest of the bowl season for teams qualifying. Its win win. Big money is made on extra hype, and players are still rewarded for achievement.

I am a fan of the bowl system, but with the idea that the BCS was created to pick the best teams to play for the title, and not giving a chance to Boise St. or maybe even Kansas( we'll see how it plays out) because they dont market well, or have played a weak schedule is just Wrong. If we have learned anything about football this season, my fellow huskers can atest, its that chemistry and drive beats talent and scheme.

However, before any change are made Notre Dame would have to join a conference. So it probly wont happen.