The Pelini threads (all of them)

TLS2

I know we all want to see wins and results, but as even Dr. Tom said: you do things the right way, and things will come through.

Honestly, I think Bo might be able to produce results here. But convince me that telling Bill Snyder to "f--- himself" after the 38-9 debacle is ANYTHING close to the Nebraska Way.

Winning is important. Results are important. But we can do it the right way. That's what separates Tom Osborne from Barry Switzer, it's what has made this program Nebraska and it's what will continue to make this program Nebraska.

Convince me that calling opposing team's fans "F**KIN Hillbiliies* is close to the Nebraska way. Convince me that a "throat slash" gesture is the Nebraska way.

What separates TO from Switzer is nothing other than Switzer got caught cheating. I guess everyone just conveniently forgets that he's the one that got OU put on probation and NCAA santions. TO was clean while Switzer was busy paying players. This is what separates them!

I like the cut of your jib.

Very rarely will any coach resemble a cardboard standup like TO did.

No matter who the new HC is, there is going to be some point where he will show emotion, and probably cuss. It's human nature.

Honestly, how many times have you all cussed during the past few games? I couldn't imagine being the coach, and trying to keep my mouth shut when i'm watching my players get teabagged game after game.

Can i say teabag?

No matter who the new HC is, there is going to be some point where he will show emotion, and probably cuss. It's human nature.

Honestly, how many times have you all cussed during the past few games? I couldn't imagine being the coach, and trying to keep my mouth shut when i'm watching my players get teabagged game after game.

Can i say teabag?

It's NOT the issue of cussing, and note that I wasn't defending Callahan wholesale.

It's the issue of not having the most basic respect or common decency for the opposing coach. IMO, you got to play and coach with class and respect. Going up to the other coach after a game and cussing him out is just out of line, in my opinion. There's a difference between cussing out of emotion and actually saying that to the other guy.

Can i say teabag?

It's NOT the issue of cussing, and note that I wasn't defending Callahan wholesale.

It's the issue of not having the most basic respect or common decency for the opposing coach. IMO, you got to play and coach with class and respect. Going up to the other coach after a game and cussing him out is just out of line, in my opinion. There's a difference between cussing out of emotion and actually saying that to the other guy.

I agree, but I believe that the whole Head Coach title makes one re-evaluate their position on the "F-U" statements. I just want a head coach that can get us the results -- what other coaches think of the NU coach be damned.

To be frank -- I visit non-NU boards, and they consistently criticize our "self-appointed 'best fans in college football'" mantra. It's starting to annoy the p-ss out of me. Solely because I believe they're right.

I certainly do not condone the alleged verbal assaults on our players. That is downright ridiculous, regardless of team affiliation.

I think we should focus less on whether we're the best fans in college football (I believe we always will be)...and more on whether we're the best college football team we can be. Let the rest of the chips fall where they may.

Frankly, I'm growing tired of the anti-Pelinians.

You've got to be kidding me. Give me a legitimate name, and I'll shut my pie-hole.

:corndance:w00t:corndance:w00t:corndance:w00t:corndance:w00t:corndance:w00t

:w00t:corndance:w00t:corndance:w00t:corndance:w00t:corndance

Can you say myopic? So, you believe there is only one candidate. 100 some odd D1 teams out there, not to mention other lower divisions and Pelini is the only guy who stands out? Gee, I guess TO's job is pretty easy then. :corndance

I totally understand what you're saying. Saying it to another coach's face isn't a classy deal. But i can't help but be a fan of Bo's, and i hope nebraska nets him as a HC.

I also would think that if he was a HC, there would be enough pressure on him to keep himself from repeating that mistake again.

I think we should focus less on whether we're the best fans in college football (I believe we always will be)...and more on whether we're the best college football team we can be. Let the rest of the chips fall where they may.

Yeah, whether or not we're the best fans - I agree there. Lots of schools have good fans. That's not what's most important. What's most important is whether our coaching staff is full of standout, high-character guys. Winning is one thing; character is equally, if not more important. That's all I'm saying.

Win, but win the right way. This is the very message Osborne has said.

totally understand what you're saying. Saying it to another coach's face isn't a classy deal. But i can't help but be a fan of Bo's, and i hope nebraska nets him as a HC.

I also would think that if he was a HC, there would be enough pressure on him to keep himself from repeating that mistake again.

Yeah, maybe he's grown more mature - but maybe he hasn't. That incident just gives me pause. I was more comfortable with the idea of him becoming head coach before I learned about it.

Yeah, whether or not we're the best fans - I agree there. Lots of schools have good fans. That's not what's most important. What's most important is whether our coaching staff is full of standout, high-character guys. Winning is one thing; character is equally, if not more important. That's all I'm saying.

Win, but win the right way. This is the very message Osborne has said.

totally understand what you're saying. Saying it to another coach's face isn't a classy deal. But i can't help but be a fan of Bo's, and i hope nebraska nets him as a HC.

Yeah, maybe he's grown more mature - but maybe he hasn't. That incident just gives me pause. I was more comfortable with the idea of him becoming head coach before I learned about it.

An honest question: Do you really care about the character of the coach more than success (winning)? I'm not suggesting implementing a massive steroid campaign, or anything of the like.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but perhaps that is one of our main problems. Where do you find these high-character, experienced Division I level football coaches?

Give Nebraska wins...the rest of the pieces will fall into place. Not because of our high-character coaches, but because of our character as Nebraskans.

In the end, the thing that matters most to us as fans is wins. But - I'm a Pats fan - when I heard about the videogate scandal, I was extremely, extremely disappointed in the Patriots management and in Bill Bellicheck. Yeah, we're good, but that's not how you win games.

Of course, New England is currently winning by steamrolling everything in its path. But that's another story.

I don't know where we find these guys - I trust TO to make that evaluation.

Win or lose, but never play dirty. That's what I'd expect from my own school; why, as a fan, should that be different for what I'd demand of Nebraska? I agree...losing is tough, and it's hard on all of us. But there's no cozy feeling in winning without doing things right.

As an example, suppose we have more or less identical seasons to Notre Dame. I wouldn't trade Callahan for Weiss. Ever.

In the end, the thing that matters most to us as fans is wins. But - I'm a Pats fan - when I heard about the videogate scandal, I was extremely, extremely disappointed in the Patriots management and in Bill Bellicheck. Yeah, we're good, but that's not how you win games.

Of course, New England is currently winning by steamrolling everything in its path. But that's another story.

I don't know where we find these guys - I trust TO to make that evaluation.

Win or lose, but never play dirty. That's what I'd expect from my own school; why, as a fan, should that be different for what I'd demand of Nebraska? I agree...losing is tough, and it's hard on all of us. But there's no cozy feeling in winning without doing things right.

As an example, suppose we have more or less identical seasons to Notre Dame. I wouldn't trade Callahan for Weiss. Ever.

I agree with the "not playing dirty" aspect. However, I also believe that we're not losing the right way this season...except the Texas loss. That was admirable.

The one thing that I hate is that people tend to use the football cliches when discussing this subject; see: New England Patriots 2007 scandal, recruiting violations, "gifts" to players...I do not advocate these.

I'm not advocating breaking the rules. All I am saying is this: If Nebraska's head coach breaks the semantic rules, i.e. what one person believes to be inappropriate (may not be inappropriate to another)...I don't care. Until our coach is breaking the actual rules...I don't care.

I actually respected Callahan's OU comments. Believe it or not. I love seeing our coaches stand up for our players.

Regarding the "throat-slashing gesture", I can decipher between what is an actual threat or intended act and a gesture resulting from frustration, anger, testosterone, and adrenaline.

I doubt that many people in Nebraska...actually believe that Callahan wanted to cut the referee's throat. Pardon my sarcasm...but they're all grown men. I hate to bust out the "are we getting too P.C." reference...but seriously, aren't we?

Just win, we'll cross the other bridges when we get there.