About recruiting

I read that Osborne met with the DE Kunili or whatever and then he chose Nebraska.

So, 2 things:

1. Why doesn't Osborne call every single important player (most highly regarded at LEAST) and tell them his thoughts on coaching and staying committed to the Cornhuskers? or maybe he is. I think this would be a tremendous help to keep a good portion of the class together

2. Does losing commits from kids make it more pressing to have Osborne do something sooner (say, next week, hopefully?) so that there is less uncertainty. If he did #1. then #2. would be a lot less important i think.

On a side note; Callahan went on at some length about how great next year's class WAS shaping up to be and referred to it several times as a #7 class. And yet, here's Osborne saying not to put too much stock in the rankings of players and classes. sounds like yet another friggin dis-connect between Callahan's philosophy and the traditional way the Huskers got things done for so long.

Do you guys feel Osborne isn't really truly worried about keeping a '#7' class together because there is going to be some serious house cleaning with the new coach anyway? By that I mean, even some kids here that have been playing and stuff might be shown the door based on attitude and work ethic?

I think who stays committed till signing day and wants to come to play for Nebraska no matter who's the coach is more important than people who decommit or transfer cuz Callahans' not here anymore.

On a side note; Callahan went on at some length about how great next year's class WAS shaping up to be and referred to it several times as a #7 class. And yet, here's Osborne saying not to put too much stock in the rankings of players and classes. sounds like yet another friggin dis-connect between Callahan's philosophy and the traditional way the Huskers got things done for so long.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they had stars when Osborne coached, so if there were i think he would have paid some attention to them. And why do you single out Callahan's philosophy? I think he has the same philosophy as every other coach out there, go get the best talent for your system. Quit trying to make more out of what it is. And why wouldn't you quote it, the fans want to hear what rank your class is. If they had a crappy class coming in then people would bitch that they can't recruit and if they do have a goo dclass coming in you make a comment that still demeans Callahan and his recruiting. He honestly can not do anything right with anyone. I'm not a supporter but I'm really getting tired of the bitching.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they had stars when Osborne coached, so if there were i think he would have paid some attention to them. And why do you single out Callahan's philosophy? I think he has the same philosophy as every other coach out there, go get the best talent for your system. Quit trying to make more out of what it is. And why wouldn't you quote it, the fans want to hear what rank your class is. If they had a crappy class coming in then people would bitch that they can't recruit and if they do have a goo dclass coming in you make a comment that still demeans Callahan and his recruiting. He honestly can not do anything right with anyone. I'm not a supporter but I'm really getting tired of the bitching.

They still ranked classes back in the old days if you can believe that. Even had pads. :)

I read that some of the recruits haven't heard from the coaches in quite a while. (what ever quite a while means) And the last time they did talk the coaches seemed very depressed and it was like they knew they were going to get fired.

I think we all know what the coaches are feeling like and understand the situation. I think this staff should do everything in their power to help the next coaching staff (assuming there will be one). Just like the university doing what they can to preserve a reputaion of Honor, Ethics, and Respect. If Callahan ever gets another HC job, I will be astonished. But I also don't think he would want to leave with the reputation that if things go wrong, he willingly commit damaging actions with respect to his current responsablities. These are just my thoughts. Not even talking to recruits could be constituted as damaging right? I know he can't give them any guarantees and shouldn't. I'm thinking giving up and not talking up the University and and at least doing what he can is the least he should do after the debacle he is in the center of. Maybe he is just not a quick learner. After Okaland, you think he took something away from that mess. Then again with Ped doing what he did maybe Callahan never had to learn.