Depressing Stats from Columbus fan on Huskerpedia Board

NPhusker

* Nebraska has allowed 31.4 points per game so far this season. The worst-ever showing by a Nebraska defense was the 1943 team, which allowed 32.6 points per game. The Huskers have to keep the remaining three opponents to under 108 combined points (36 points per game) to avoid breaking this record (Kansas is averaging 42.5, Kansas State 38.75, and Colorado 25.33).

* Nebraska has allowed 36 touchdowns this season. The highest number of touchdowns allowed by a Nebraska defense was 41 in 1948 and 2002. The 2007 defense is almost certain to break this record in 12 games, whereas the 2002 squad allowed that many TDs in 14.

* The record for most first downs allowed in a season is 272, set in 2002 (again in 14 games). This team needs to allow the next three opponents fewer than 19 first downs per game to avoid owning this record. They're currently allowing 23.9 per game.

* The 1957 Cornhuskers allowed 2,787 yards rushing in a season. The 2007 team has allowed 2,183 so far, and needs to allow fewer than 202 yards rushing per game to avoid this record (currently averaging 242.6).

* The 2007 Huskers have allowed 25 rushing touchdowns, only one off of the school record of 26, allowed by the 1950 team.

* This year's team is 863 yards away from breaking the "most yards allowed" season record, set in 2002 (that means that the team would need to hold the final three teams to under 288 yards per game).

* Nebraska has managed 9 sacks this season, and needs 16 sacks in the final three games just to tie the lowest-ever sack totals in school history.

* Both the lowest-ever punt return yards and average are in reach. The record lows are 144 return yards (1955) and 5.74 average (1979). This year's team has 77 yards and a 5.92 average.

* Nebraska has already broken the record for number of kickoff returns in a season (50 and counting). I guess that's what happens when you're on pace for all of the above records...

* This year's team has forced 11 turnovers, and will have to find 8 turnovers to tie the school's record low of 19, set in 1962 and 2000.

Check out the original post for yourself Link

All i have to say is wow, now excuse me while i run to the batroom so i dont puke on my computer

Yeah but I bet Nebraska has won more coin tosses at the start of the game...

What blows my mind is that the Texas Tech DC had the courage and integrity to resign after his team gave up 40-something points earlier this year, yet Cosgrove continues to stay in his job with a historically bad defense.

And the worst thing about this is that we actually have some pretty decent guys on the D! We have athletes, just no coaching.

Pathetic!

What blows my mind is that the Texas Tech DC had the courage and integrity to resign after his team gave up 40-something points earlier this year, yet Cosgrove continues to stay in his job with a historically bad defense.

And the worst thing about this is that we actually have some pretty decent guys on the D! We have athletes, just no coaching.

Pathetic!

I couldn't agree more!!! I don't know whether Coz is delusional, or what, but it's come to the point where most people with an ounce of respect for the fans and themselves would just walk away. Here's hoping for a historic turnaround in years to come!!!!

GBR