HOLD YOUR HEADS HIGH

OldTimer

OK, Right about now everyone in the country is looking at today's score and wondering what the hell has happened to us. The announcers say that's the worse defeat we've ever suffered. don't know whether that's true or not, but it hurts.

When my wife and I left that stadium a little while ago it hurt and hurt bad. The KU fans poured in on by pouring drinks on us and throwing stuff, but hell I guess they have a right. We've beaten them what 37 out of the last 38 times out so they have a little bit of anger stored up against us.

They say that you have to hit bottom before you can turn around and start back up to the top. Maybe today is that day. I read yesterday that KU was right up there among the top defensive teams in the country and yet we managed to hang 30+ points on them today. Folks, we have an offense.

Despite it being his first start, Mr Ganz went out there today and showed what he was made of. He played an outstanding game. Did he make some mistakes. Sure he did, but he was playing against some incredible odds and he showed improvement as the developed. I haven't seen the stats, but I'm sure they will look good.

Alas the defense is pitiful. They missed tackles that shouldn't be missed in a Pop Warner football game. Is it coaching ? lack of skill ? preparation ? frustration ? I'll be damned if I know, but those one handed, loose arm grabs are just not cutting it. They just looked whipped almost from the opening kickoff. I know we are suffering from incredible losses to injuries but today's performance was inexuseable.

I left today's game wondering about a couple of things. Why would a coach want to humiliate a rival team so much that he would leave his star quarterback in the game to run up the score until there was only four minutes remaining ? Does this show the ultimate lack of class in a coaching. I remember Coach O pulling our first string 3 minutes into the start of the 3rd quarter when he knew the game was well in hand.

Yet Coach Mark Mangelo with 2 out of 3 very hard games coming up and with a 30 point lead allows his quarterback to remain in the game and risk injury so he can run up the score ? Say what you want about Callahan, at least when the TV cameras pan to him, he doesn't embarrass us by looking like he just ate the team mascot :-)

Yes Kansas is a happy place tonight. But those of us who bleed for Big Red should be happy too. Happy that we don't live in a state that people throughout the country aren't terrified when driving and they see a Kansas license plate and never know if a left turn signal means you are really turning left or right.

And knowing that you don't live in a state that harbors a hate mongering racist Fred Phelps leader of disavowed Topeka Baptist Church whose homosexual hating fanatics picket Iraqi veterans miliatary funerals across the nations should make you proud to be a Nebraskan

Yes be thankful you live in a state that still respects dignity and honor in sports and intelligence.

And KNOW YE THIS........When the Missouri Tigers visit the Jayhawks in just a few weeks, they will revenge what happened today and burst their bubble. Hopefully we won't run up the score, but the Tigers will destroy their hopes of going undefeated :-)

Lifetime Husker loyalist now residing in Missouriland

I hate to be a hater....but, come on people!!!

Despite our latest losses - Missouri, Oklahoma State, Texas A & M....I have never been so disappointed in our team/defense before today.

People have to hit rock bottom (kinda hard to not consider 76-39 rock bottom, if this isn't rock-bottom...then kill me now)...yup, and now we've actually drilled into the ground to submerge ourselves even further. We're not even rock-bottom...we've submerged ourselves into the mantle of Earth's core.

P.S. - If I see that god-damn Dr. Pepper commercial again...I WILL flog my baby seal.

I'm just living for the day after the CU game, when Mr. Callahan has been shown his walking papers. That, my friends, will be a load off.

I am worried, however, about the talent we have. Given the embarassments we've endured, I have to wonder if bad coaching is the lone culprit. Let's face it, Bill Callahan is a loser and a fraud, and should never be a head coach ever again, at any level. But, will a better coaching staff do the trick?

Will a Bo Pelini make the defense much better in the course of one season?

A couple of weeks ago, even when it was clear that Callahan had to do, I was still optimistic because I thought we had a good group of talented players. Now, I'm not so sure.

Our D-line is the worst in D-I football. Our linebackers are below average. We have one decent player in the D-backfield. Can a new coach turn it around in one season? I used to think so. Now, I don't.

And frankly, I'm tired of rebuilding.

I'm just living for the day after the CU game, when Mr. Callahan has been shown his walking papers. That, my friends, will be a load off.

I am worried, however, about the talent we have. Given the embarassments we've endured, I have to wonder if bad coaching is the lone culprit. Let's face it, Bill Callahan is a loser and a fraud, and should never be a head coach ever again, at any level. But, will a better coaching staff do the trick?

A couple of weeks ago, even when it was clear that Callahan had to do, I was still optimistic because I thought we had a good group of talented players. Now, I'm not so sure.

Our D-line is the worst in D-I football. Our linebackers are below average. We have one decent player in the D-backfield. Can a new coach turn it around in one season? I used to think so. Now, I don't.

Pelini took our previously inept (2002) defense into #1/2 defense in one year (2003).

No questions.

I find myself wondering why it has to be after the CU game! Just firing BC today will immediately bring credibility back to the program. Every day he's still our coach we sink further and further into obscurity.