Phil Elmassian

I was watching ESPN Classic this morning and they were showing the 2000 Peach Bowl, which featured LSU versus Georgia Tech. In doing this, I learned something new about Phil Elmassian:

Elmassian used to be the DC at LSU under Nick Saban. This was new to me.

After I figured out he was calling the defense, I started watching them closely to see how his coaching style had changed over the years. Turns out, it changed a LOT. Elmassian's LSU corners lined up close to the receivers. He blitzed virtually every down, sometimes from the corner or safety spot. They hit hard and challenged the receivers at the line of scrimmage. I was in such disbelief that I got online and checked whether it was the same guy.

What changed, Elmo?! Why do your D-backs play so far off the man now? Why don't they ever make an attempt to deflect or intercept a pass?! Watching his LSU D was completely different than his defensive backs at Nebraska, particularly last season.

when he spoke at a Big Red breakfast earlier this year, he said, "sacks are overated."

and of course a couple of years again he said that the secondary was the worst that he had ever worked with. Funny how the nfl teams that drafter Fabian Washington and Bullocks twins didn't think the same thing.

yep, these clowns even comitt verbal suicide, given enough time and opportunities. just pitiful we have to hear the bad coaching philosophy, let alone see it in action. these are the worst coaches ever to work at NU, bar f'ing none!!!!!!!

I was watching ESPN Classic this morning and they were showing the 2000 Peach Bowl, which featured LSU versus Georgia Tech. In doing this, I learned something new about Phil Elmassian:

Elmassian used to be the DC at LSU under Nick Saban. This was new to me.

After I figured out he was calling the defense, I started watching them closely to see how his coaching style had changed over the years. Turns out, it changed a LOT. Elmassian's LSU corners lined up close to the receivers. He blitzed virtually every down, sometimes from the corner or safety spot. They hit hard and challenged the receivers at the line of scrimmage. I was in such disbelief that I got online and checked whether it was the same guy.

What changed, Elmo?! Why do your D-backs play so far off the man now? Why don't they ever make an attempt to deflect or intercept a pass?! Watching his LSU D was completely different than his defensive backs at Nebraska, particularly last season.

Our DB's haven't played bump-n-run coverage since Pelini was here. The main problem with this staff is that they're so worried about giving up the deep and outside ball that they play off the WR's and leave the middle completely wide open. How many times have we seen slants patterns over the middle go untouched. There are way too many things this staff does wrong.

Can anybody tell me why the defensive backs always play behind the receivers when the other team has the ball inside the ten yard line???

Look at all of the short TD passes against us this year, and you will see that the DB was playing behind the receiver.

I'm still trying to figure out why they always play ten yards off the receivers even if the other teams just needs 5 yardsfor a first.

Can anybody tell me why the defensive backs always play behind the receivers when the other team has the ball inside the ten yard line???

Look at all of the short TD passes against us this year, and you will see that the DB was playing behind the receiver.

I'm still trying to figure out why they always play ten yards off the receivers even if the other teams just needs 5 yardsfor a first.

It's too complicated for you to understand.