Be merciful: Fire Callahan, Cosgrove

Denver Post

Be merciful: Fire Callahan, Cosgrove

By John Henderson

The Denver Post

Article Launched: 11/05/2007 01:00:00 AM MST

There comes a point in time when a coaching staff throws away the respect and courtesy it's given, when it appears to be picking up only paychecks and not clues. That's why Tom Osborne, Nebraska's, ahem, interim athletic director, must fire head coach Bill Callahan and defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove, like, five minutes ago.

Promote offensive coordinator Shawn Watson to interim head coach and name the Theta Chi rush chairman defensive coordinator. The 'Huskers can't get any worse, and at least they might have a little fun.

Then Osborne should place calls to the athletic directors at Buffalo and Louisiana State requesting permission to talk to Turner Gill and Bo Pelini, respectively, as well as whomever else Osborne has up his flannel shirt sleeve.

This will accomplish four things. One, it will set Osborne on a coaching search that can't start too soon. Two, it will convince a humiliated Nebraska Nation that this program will not lose 76-39 without doing something about it. Three, it will save recruits money by not texting back messages from any members of this coaching staff. Four, it will give Callahan time to network for another job and Cosgrove time to find another line of work.

At the very least, make the two good friends announce their resignations, if they have any face left to save after giving up the most points in Nebraska history. Osborne won't do this, of course. He's a man of his word. But he talked his way into a corner three weeks ago when he said he would wait until season's end to evaluate the staff. After Saturday, he's asking himself the same question as the rest of college football.

Wait for what? The coaches know they're gone. We know they're gone.

This team quit a month ago, but Saturday it appeared the staff quit. I watch a lot of college football live and a lot on TV, and in my 45 years as a Saturday couch potato I have never seen a more dispirited, lackadaisical and pitiful unit as I did in Nebraska's defense.

You could understand North Texas giving up touchdowns on 10 straight drives against Oklahoma. However, it didn't. But Nebraska did against Kansas, despite five returning starters from a defense that became respectable last year.

With Kansas quarterback Todd

Reesing putting up numbers like Hawaii's Colt Brennan, I counted exactly one lame attempt at a Nebraska blitz in the first half. Cosgrove has stood watch over a defense that has gone from average to one of the eight worst in college football, down there with Alabama-Birmingham, Southern Methodist and Central Michigan.

Yes, Cosgrove and Callahan have turned Nebraska into a directional school. So there you have it, ladies and gentlemen, the University of Nebraska-Hopeless Cornhuskers.

I never had much respect for that :asshat in the first place. We were on a bad path as soon as Solich left frankly (ok, perhaps a little before even). If we remembered to take off our rose (or red) colored glasses every once in awhile, we all knew that we were headed in the wrong direction.

This just isn't Nebraska football and hasn't been for a long time. Time to clean house.

Nope!! do NOT fire Callahan. If an 1813 pioneer of the sandhills can have the foreskin to make it work in Chadron, then Osborne can wait it out with Callahan. I say.....if Callahan and Coz won't do the DECENT thing and resign....then let them fail miserably!!!!!!!!!

for the next 10 years at least they will be answering questions about this debacle!!!

btw--i hope, despite piss poor coaching that we win the next 2 games.