Outside looking In

joblue

I am new here, and felt compelled to join by what I have witnessed these past few years.

Let me introduce myself. I an a life-long east coaster, with degrees form Mizzou and KU. As you can imagine, I am enjoying this season. That's not why I am here. I am here because I have always loved and respeced NU football, and the events of the last few seasons sicken me.

I can remember as far back as the late 70's, watching that great NU/OU game after thanksgiving on TV with my dad, and just being in awe of the spectacle and tradition that was NU.

In college (undergrad at Mizzou, grad at KU), strangely enough, some of my greatest memories was watching those great NU teams come to towm (why Mizzou had NU as their homecoming game with Tommie F. at QB was beyond me)..they were men amoung boys. I can cleary see Frazier having his way with the hapless Mizzou and KU teams of the mid-90's. I also was lucky enought to go to one of the last NU/OU Big 8 games in Lincoln, and man I was blown away.

Here on the east coast (I live in Brooklyn), we have no real D1 football to speak of. Penn State is 4 hours away, and Syracuse a bit farther (and they suck). People here have no idea about rooting for a team for a lifetime. I started lurking on these boards a few games into the season, to see what real pain and what real fans are like. Some want to boo the players, some want to chase the coaches out of town (and some want both).

Anyway, I actually had a queesy feeling in my stomach as I watched Mizzou and KU dismantle NU. I hated to see it, really. Its hard to find the right metaphor, but I wasnt comfortable. Something in the world of college football just isnt right. Sure, NU has rung my team's bell many many times over the decades, but there was surprisingly little satisaction in what transpitred this year.

Anyway, my thoughts are with you guys, the sports most loyal fans.

Joe

Mizzou 1993

KU 1996

I am new here, and felt compelled to join by what I have witnessed these past few years.

Let me introduce myself. I an a life-long east coaster, with degrees form Mizzou and KU. As you can imagine, I am enjoying this season. That's not why I am here. I am here because I have always loved and respeced NU football, and the events of the last few seasons sicken me.

I can remember as far back as the late 70's, watching that great NU/OU game after thanksgiving on TV with my dad, and just being in awe of the spectacle and tradition that was NU.

In college (undergard at Mizzou, grad at KU), strangely enough, some of my greatest memories was watching those great NU teams come to towm (why Mizzou had NU as their homecoming game with Tommie F. at QB was beyond me)..they were men amoung boys. I can cleary see Frazier having his way with the hapless Mizzou and KU teams of the mid-90's. I also was lucky enought to go to one of the last NU/OU Big 8 games in Lincoln, and man I was blown away.

Here on the east coast (I live in Brooklyn), we have no real D1 football to speak of. Penn State is 4 hours away, and Syracuse a bit farther (and they suck). People here have no idea about rooting for a team for a lifetime. I started lurking on these boards a few games into the season, to see what real pain and what real fans are like. Some want to boo the players, some want to chase the coaches out of town (and some want both).

Anyway, I actually had a queesy feeling in my stomach as I watched Mizzoua nd KU dismantle NU. I hated to see it, really. Its hard to find the right metaphor, but I wasnt comfortable. Something in the world of college football just isnt right. Sure, NU has rung my team's bell many many times over the decades, but there was surprisingly little satisaction in what transpitred this year.

Joe

Mizzou 1993

KU 1996

Cool sh#t... that is such a great post. Thanks for sharing your memories and travels. Check your PM

In college (undergrad at Mizzou, grad at KU), strangely enough, some of my greatest memories was watching those great NU teams come to towm (why Mizzou had NU as their homecoming game with Tommie F. at QB was beyond me)..they were men amoung boys. I can cleary see Frazier having his way with the hapless Mizzou and KU teams of the mid-90's. I also was lucky enought to go to one of the last NU/OU Big 8 games in Lincoln, and man I was blown away.

Anyway, I actually had a queesy feeling in my stomach as I watched Mizzou and KU dismantle NU. I hated to see it, really. Its hard to find the right metaphor, but I wasnt comfortable. Something in the world of college football just isnt right. Sure, NU has rung my team's bell many many times over the decades, but there was surprisingly little satisaction in what transpitred this year.

Joe

Mizzou 1993

KU 1996

Well leest we got thoes schools baet at akodemiks, I only neded 1 dergree from NU to get a job. :bonez

Joe

Mizzou 1993

KU 1996

:yeah

I want Nebraska too be good again, but I want Missouri to still beat them when they are good again!

Joe

Mizzou 1993

KU 1996

Joe,

I'm an Omaha guy from Brooklyn (Park Slope). When I was a kid I played at being Jeff Kinney and wore my pads like him, so I think I know where you're coming from. Hang in there with the Huskers. Enjoy the success of Mizzou and KU this year (both great teams and great stories). Celebrate their success. They deserve it. And then get ready for the return of the mighty Huskers.

Joe

Mizzou 1993

KU 1996

Thanks for the reminder on how far we have fallen. :)

Thanks for the kind words.

Yah, thanks man. It does hurt right now, but kind words and commiseration can see us all through.

Your post reminds me that's how I felt about the Sooners when they fell from grace in the '90's. On the one hand, it was good to win that game every year, but on the other it just wasn't right. It made you sad to see something so proud and great reduced to such a sorry state. Now it's our turn it would seem...

(And yes, please let's do run the coaches out of town so the healing can begin.)

Joe

Mizzou 1993

KU 1996

So Joe, who are you going to cheer for when Mizzou and Kansas play?

thats a tough one... i usually root for MU in football and KU in hoops. This year, I think I am gonna root for KU in football for the outside shot that they have at a national title (very outside, dont laugh, its sort of fun to dream, like when you daydream about hitting the lottery)...anyway, its a great dilemma to be in...its too bad that they both choose this year to begin to peer out from under decades of mediocrity.