Cavalcade of Whimsy

C.O.W.

Worst Coaching Job of the Year – Fifth Place

Phil Bennett, SMU

Piling on the already canned, Bennett was supposed to turn SMU into a player in the Conference USA race with a veteran offensive line, emerging playmakers on defense, and a star QB in Justin Willis to work around. The Mustangs are 1-8, with the one win coming against North Texas, and are winless in conference play.

Worst Coaching Job of the Year – Fourth Place

Sonny Lubick, Colorado State

With nine starters back on offense, the return of bruising back Kyle Bell, a great receiving corps, and a veteran defense, Colorado State had all the pieces in place for a resurgent year. The Rams beat UNLV, but that’s been it in a 1-8 season.

Worst Coaching Job of the Year – Third Place

Tim Brewster, Minnesota

Brewster was a controversial hire to begin with, a relative no-name who didn’t provide the splash that Gopher fans wanted after the not-that-bad Glen Mason era, and then he took a team that was an all-timer of a Texas Tech comeback away from being a bowl winner and made it among the worst teams in America. At 1-9, Minnesota’s only win came in overtime to Miami University early in the year, while there have been losses to Bowling Green and Florida Atlantic. The defense is dead last in America allowing 549 yards per game. However, Brewster was hired because he could recruit, so he’ll get time.

Worst Coaching Job of the Year – Second Place

Bill Callahan, Nebraska

The cupboard is hardly bare. Callahan recruited well, but his team has completely collapsed on him, especially on defense. No, the Huskers haven’t quit; they’re simply awful. There are too many great athletes and too many top talents on the team to be giving up 240 rushing yards per game. The biggest problem has been the lines, a staple of the Husker program for so many years.

Worst Coaching Job of the Year – First Place

Charlie Weis, Notre Dame

Where are the reinforcements to take over for Brady Quinn, Jeff Samardzija and Darius Walker? Where are the linemen? Two BCS seasons should have stocked the shelves, but instead there appears to either be a woeful lack of talent, or good young players who aren’t being coached correctly. Notre Dame is dead-last in the nation in total offense, dead last in sacks allowed, 116th in passing efficiency, and 1-8 after doing the unthinkable and allowing the 43-year winning streak over Navy end,

Best Coaching Job of the Year – Fifth Place

(tie) Turner Gill, Buffalo & Al Golden, Temple

Buffalo and Temple haven’t just been lousy programs, they’ve been bad on an all-time scale. Gill and Golden have become two of college football’s most dynamic new head coaches who have done the impossible to make their woebegone teams relevant. Buffalo and Temple were actually in the MAC title hunt going into November.

Best Coaching Job of the Year – Fourth Place

Les Miles, LSU

He might have a heater hand, but he has had to work to keep this ultra-talented team in the national title hunt. Some of his calls might have been nutty, but the fourth down plays against Florida, the fake field goal flip against South Carolina, the late deep ball call against Auburn, as misguided as that might have been, and the last few minutes against Alabama all worked out for the Tigers. Miles has given the team a swagger under all the pressure.

Best Coaching Job of the Year – Third Place

Lloyd Carr, Michigan

Yes, that Lloyd Carr. Think of where this team was on September 8th. The defense was supposedly too slow. The team was about to be in for the season Notre Dame is dealing with. There was no hope in sight, and Carr was as good as canned. And then the wins started coming, winning eight in a row going into the Wisconsin showdown, and Carr and his staff have done it with QB Chad Henne and Heisman-caliber RB Mike Hart getting hurt.

Best Coaching Job of the Year – Second Place

Troy Calhoun, Air Force

Air Force had become irrelevant, making the most news in recent years for the controversy around former head man Fisher DeBerry and his remarks about needing more black players. Calhoun has stepped in and turned things around in his first year, leading the way to a 7-3 mark with wins over Utah and TCU. Remember, Air Force is a service academy with a limited talent level.

Best Coaching Job of the Year – First Place

Mark Mangino, Kansas

All Mangino has done is take a team full of average high school prospects and molding them into the number four team in America. Kansas isn’t just beating teams, it’s killing them, ranking second in the nation in scoring, second in scoring defense, and is now a position to possibly play for the national title by winning out. Talent-wise, the Jayhawks aren’t even close compared to most of the Big 12, but they’ve still been dominant. Yeah, the schedule stinks, but this is Kansas. Kansas?!

The 2007 Coaching Status For Every Team

As the saying goes, coaches, like Subway Sandwich Artists, are hired to be fired. At this point in the year, fan bases start of the underachieving start to wonder about the possibility of getting a new head coach to turn things around, but which ones are really in trouble? Here’s a quick breakdown of all 119 coaching situations.

100% job security for 2008.

They’re not likely to bolt for at least a year, and won’t be fired unless they get arrested for tapping toes in a Minneapolis airport bathroom.

Air Force: Troy Calhoun; Alabama: Nick Saban; Arizona State: Dennis Erickson; Army: Stan Brock; Auburn: Tommy Tuberville; Boston College: Jeff Jagodzinski; Bowling Green: Gregg Brandon; Central Michigan: Butch Jones; Cincinnati: Brian Kelly; Clemson: Tommy Bowden; Colorado: Dan Hawkins; Connecticut: Randy Edsall; East Carolina: Skip Holtz; Florida Atlantic: Howard Schnellenberger; Florida International: Mario Cristobal; Fresno State: Pat Hill; Georgia: Mark Richt; Georgia Tech: Chan Gailey; Hawaii: June Jones. Houston: Art Briles; Idaho: Robb Akey; Illinois: Ron Zook; Indiana: Bill Cubit; Iowa: Kirk Ferentz; Iowa State: Gene Chizik; Kansas: Mark Mangino; Kansas State: Ron Prince; Kentucky: Rich Brooks; Louisiana Tech: Derek Dooley; Louisville: Steve Kragthorpe; Miami: Randy Shannon; Miami University: Shane Montgomery; Michigan State: Mark Dantonio; Middle Tennessee: Rick Stockstill; Mississippi State: Sylvester Croom; Missouri: Gary Pinkel; Navy: Paul Johnson; Nevada: Chris Ault; New Mexico: Rocky Long; New Mexico State: Hal Mumme; North Carolina: Butch Davis; North Texas: Todd Dodge; Northern Illinois: Joe Novak; Northwestern: Pat Fitzgerald; NC State: Tom O’Brien; Ohio: Frank Solich; Ohio State: Jim Tressel; Oklahoma: Bob Stoops; Oklahoma State: Mike Gundy; Oregon: Mike Bellotti; Rutgers: Greg Schiano; San Jose State: Dick Tomey; South Carolina: Steve Spurrier; South Florida: Jim Leavitt; Southern Miss: Jeff Bower; TCU: Gary Patterson; Texas: Mack Brown; Texas Tech: Mike Leach; Toledo: Tom Amstutz; Troy: Larry Blakeney; Tulane: Bob Toledo; Utah: Kyle Whittingham; UAB: Neil Callaway; Vanderbilt: Bobby Johnson; Virginia: Al Groh; Virginia Tech: Frank Beamer; Wake Forest: Jim Grobe; West Virginia: Rich Rodriguez; Western Michigan: Bill Cubit; Wisconsin: Bret Bielema; Wyoming: Joe Glenn

“This is too nice a suit to ruin, Mr. Takagi. I'm going to count to three. There will not be a four. Give me the code.”

A.K.A. Double Secret Probation. They’ll probably be back, but 2008 had better be big.

Akron: J.D. Brookhart; Arkansas: Houston Nutt; Arizona: Mike Stoops; Baylor: Guy Morriss; Arkansas State: Steve Roberts; Kent State: Doug Martin; Colorado State: Sonny Lubick; Maryland: Ralph Friedgen; Memphis: Tommy West; Minnesota: Tim Brewster; Ole Miss: Ed Orgeron; Notre Dame: Charlie Weis; Oregon State: Mike Riley; Rice: David Bailiff; San Diego State: Chuck Long; UNLV: Mike Sanford; Pitt: Dave Wannstedt; Washington: Tyrone Willingham; UTEP: Mike Price

Flip a Coin.

Job is secure, but these coaches are 50/50 to be around with the same program for the next few years. They might retire or move on to another gig.

Ball State: Brady Hoke; Boise State: Chris Petersen; Buffalo: Turner Gill; BYU: Bronco Mendenhall; California: Jeff Tedford; Florida: Urban Meyer; Florida State: Bobby Bowden; LSU: Les Miles; Michigan: Lloyd Carr; Penn State: Joe Paterno; Stanford: Jim Harbaugh; Temple: Al Golden; Tennessee: Phillip Fulmer; Tulsa: Todd Graham; UCF: George O’Leary; USC: Pete Carroll

Lost All Their L.A. Privileges.

Stay gone and be gone. It’ll be a stunner if they keep a parking spot past 2007.

Duke: Ted Roof; Eastern Michigan: Jeff Genyk; Marshall: Mark Snyder; Nebraska: Bill Callahan; SMU: Phil Bennett (already fired); Syracuse: Greg Robinson; Texas A&M: Dennis Franchione; UCLA: Karl Dorrell; UL Lafayette: Rickey Bustle; UL Monroe: Charlie Weatherbie; Utah State: Brent Guy; Washington State: Bill Doba

Nuggets for the upcoming week, now made with white meat, at participating restaurants …

- The toughest award call of the year isn’t the Heisman, it’s for the first team All-Conference USA running backs. Tulane’s Matt Forte leads the nation in rushing averaging 182 yards per game. UCF’s Kevin Smith is second with a 161-yard average. Houston’s Anthony Alridge, one of the nation’s most dynamic playmakers, is seventh averaging 135 yards per game, and East Carolina’s Chris Johnson leads the nation in all-purpose yards after a 301-yard rushing day vs. Memphis. Pick two. Good luck.

- The second toughest award call of the year: three linebackers for the first team All-Big Ten squad. Most would immediately put Ohio State’s James Laurinaitis on the list, especially after being everywhere in the win over Wisconsin, but Penn State’s Dan Connor has been the best linebacker in the conference, and in America. Illinois senior J Leman has once again been a tackling machine for an underrated run defense, Penn State’s Sean Lee has been a perfect sidekick to Connor, and is third in the Big Ten in tackles, and Iowa’s Mike Humpal leads the league in stops. Michigan’s Shawn Crable has been a terror in the backfield as one of the nation’s most disruptive players. There’s no right answer, but if pushed, it has to be Connor, Crable, and then a battle for the third spot, with Laurinaitis in as the leader of the top ranked D.

- For years, Nebraska fans have been lauded for the way they politely clap for the vanquished opposing team after home games. The shoe was on the other foot this week as Kansas fans clapped for the Nebraska as it walked off the field. Several Nebraska fans have commented on how condescending the nice gesture really feels to the other side.

- Watch out for Arkansas. The SEC world could get even more bizarre in the coming weeks if the Hogs really have found their stride making a trip to Tennessee this week, playing Mississippi State to follow, and then going to Baton Rouge with a chance to put a damper on LSU’s dream year.

- Before kicking Karl Dorrell out to the curb, it would be interesting to see what UCLA could do with a healthy quarterback. What was once an abundance of riches with Ben Olsen and Pat Cowan has quickly disintegrated into a nightmare, and the team’s season has followed suit.

- The nation’s hottest offense? Texas Tech? Hawaii? Try Toledo. The Rockets have been unstoppable in a 4-1 surge averaging 581 yards and 46.6 points per game. The next game is on November 13th against a Ball State defense currently ranked 92nd in the nation in total D.

- For years, Nebraska fans have been lauded for the way they politely clap for the vanquished opposing team after home games. The shoe was on the other foot this week as Kansas fans clapped for the Nebraska as it walked off the field. Several Nebraska fans have commented on how condescending the nice gesture really feels to the other side.

Well, weren't they doing it to be condescending (KU fans this weekend)?

Flip a Coin.

Job is secure, but these coaches are 50/50 to be around with the same program for the next few years. They might retire or move on to another gig.

Ball State: Brady Hoke; Boise State: Chris Petersen; Buffalo: Turner Gill; BYU: Bronco Mendenhall; California: Jeff Tedford; Florida: Urban Meyer; Florida State: Bobby Bowden; LSU: Les Miles; Michigan: Lloyd Carr; Penn State: Joe Paterno; Stanford: Jim Harbaugh; Temple: Al Golden; Tennessee: Phillip Fulmer; Tulsa: Todd Graham; UCF: George O’Leary; USC: Pete Carroll

Where would either coach go? I can't believe either school would fire them

Flip a Coin.

Where would either coach go? I can't believe either school would fire them

NFL. More $$$. Not fired.

Well, weren't they doing it to be condescending (KU fans this weekend)?

Well if they were clapping respectfully, then kudo's to them. That is great.

This article is probably some media/drama infested sell the story writer. I could say some of the people email with angry fingers and have no idea how the type looks to others. This guy has no idea what that is about. It is more likely that this is this guys opinion and has nothing to do with fact.

Welllll... clapping for the losing team does seem condescending, "Awww look at dem tryin so hards." That's how it could easily be interpreted. I don't think anyone here means it that way, and I believe that our long-time opponents know that. Though as I mentioned in another thread and as has been brought up elsewhere, pity sucks. I'd rather have someone gloating over me or mocking me for a failure than giving me (too much) pity. That stings and is a deep sting that suggests that there is something fundamentally flawed and I can't be any better-- not only that, but the defeat/failure was expected and actually wasn't even done competitively.

Welllll... clapping for the losing team does seem condescending, "Awww look at dem tryin so hards." That's how it could easily be interpreted. I don't think anyone here means it that way, and I believe that our long-time opponents know that. Though as I mentioned in another thread and as has been brought up elsewhere, pity sucks. I'd rather have someone gloating over me or mocking me for a failure than giving me (too much) pity. That stings and is a deep sting that suggests that there is something fundamentally flawed and I can't be any better-- not only that, but the defeat/failure was expected and actually wasn't even done competitively.

The difference is that Nebraska fans will clap for other teams at their stadium win or loose (see this year for several examples).

If Nebraska would have been winning in the 4th quarter, there wouldn't have been a Kansas fan left in the stands after the game to clap.

Like how there werent many husker fans left in Memorial Stadium

in the 4th qtr during the USC game?

Give me a f'ing break, man. What are you even basing this on? The one shot that ABC showed with 2 minutes left and we were down by three touchdowns? The common rebuttal to the "NU = greatest fans in the world" thing has become "yeah, you guys remember when all those fans left at (insert one of 6 blow-out losses this season)? i thought u guyz were the best fans in teh worldd?"

In reality, no matter how bad NU is losing in the 4th quarter in ANY game from here until eternity, there will still be more people left in the stands than KU's Memorial can even hold during a sell-out.

Like how there werent many husker fans left in Memorial Stadium

in the 4th qtr during the USC game?

Yah, whatever. If sticking around to see your boys disgrace themselves is the only true measure of the quality of one's fan base, perhaps we're not the best. But then again, perhaps the best fans in the world would not necessarily be well served by hanging around to clap after allowing our opponents to hang 76 points on us.

Who cares about this best fans thing anyway? We have class and we know it. Part of that is not having to prove it.

Good for Mangino to be #1 he really has turned this ship around

Seconded. Great job.