The Bell Tolls for everyone...

Red-5

I've been checking out the posts about Nebraskas season and its future and I have a few observations of my own...

1. I can't think of one powerhouse that has not recently stumbled and had to reinvent itself. Miami, USC, FSU, Michigan, ND, OSU, OU, Texas. Sooner or later it happens to everyone.

2. I was saddened by the firing of Solich like many, and I was further dismayed at the death of option football by the last big school to run it. However, OU didn't win the national championship in 2000 with the wishbone.

3. The class of athlete the Huskers had to dominate the mid to late 90s has dropped off a bit. I think there is more parity in CFB now, than there was in the 90s, and the gaps between the haves and have nots is slowly closing. More schools are getting their fair share of athletes. Barrett Ruud is a solid yeoman backer, but in terms of athletic ability hes no Terrell Farley. Frankly, I think DeMorrio Williams was better. You could go down the roster position by position and make comparisons. Maybe, Solich was getting out-recruited.

4. Coker lived off Davis recruits, Callahan lived off Gruden, wonk wonk wonk. Who's to say Solich didn't live off Osbournes table scraps for a few years.

5. The Big 12 North is certainly not as strong as it has been. Solich may have had a winning season, but I doubt NU would be BCS bound. I don't see the outcome of the OU game being any different. Do you? Honestly?

6. As a football coach myself, one axiom holds fast...the fans never lose a game.

Red-5, great points all around. Where do you coach at? I believe that the firing of Solich was proactive rather than reactive. Just like a corporation will make a tough decision in order to benefit the future of the organization, aka seeing "the big picture."

We weren't falling off the map for awhile though until callahan came.  We had one off year at 7-7 but got a new staff and bounced that up to 10-3.  Lets see what callahan does after 5-6.  I bet it's no 10-3.

Yeah but we got crushed in those three loses.

If you watched the games we got crushed in one of those games not everyone. We were up 24-14 going into the 4th quarter against mizzou and blew it. kstate game was 7-7 at halftime. We had a couple bad breaks and they got a few breaks and they run it up after we put in subs and we get beat bad on the scoreboard. The texas game was a blow out. Even if you call them 3 blow outs, we were coming off a 7-7 season and improved to 10-3, what did you expect to win every game or lose by 3 in a couple games? We sure as hell didn't lose by 60 and we didn't lose to crappy teams like southern miss, Iowa State, Colorado.

10-3, without a doubt is a good record. But lets face it, you're not fooling anyone, when the three losses are by second letdowns/meltdowns or just plain butt-kickings. On paper it looks good, NU beat the teams they were supposed to beat, but could not beat the teams needed to be to reclaim their place. I think Pederson realized this. The gap between UT, OU was growing. Pay now or pay later.

10-3, without a doubt is a good record. But lets face it, you're not fooling anyone, when the three losses are by second letdowns/meltdowns or just plain butt-kickings. On paper it looks good, NU beat the teams they were supposed to beat, but could not beat the teams needed to be to reclaim their place. I think Pederson realized this. The gap between UT, OU was growing. Pay now or pay later.

so your saying, pederson didn't think after one year with his staff and those great assistants that it was a big improvement? I would say it was. We won a tough opener, we beat the teams we were suppose to and we won the bowl game. A year or two of those young coaches out recruiting and we don't lose the bigger one's and let's face it this year we only played one good team that we would of lost to.

Certainly its an improvement. I think you have to look a little deeper. They went 10-3 with essentially the same personnel as the year before. Maybe they would have improved over the course of a couple of seasons, maybe they would not have. The only thing I don't like about the change is the style of offense. Callahan we'll see. Solich did a solid job. Sometimes the right course of action is not always the most popular.

QUOTE]  We sure as hell didn't lose by 60 and we didn't lose to crappy teams like southern miss, Iowa State, Colorado.

Aren't all those crappy teams going to bowls?

Iowa State, no. Southern Miss, when they lose to Cal this weekend they will be 6-6 and will need an exception from the NCAA so maybe not. Besides they're no. 4 in conference USA. You don't find that embarassing? And if you think Colorado is better than us you're smoking something. There's no reason those three games should have been losses. It was all on the coaches. And I argue that K State and Tech should have been wins too, if not very close games.