All-Star football game in S.A.

December 28, 2003

All-America stars shine on Rivals100.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rivals100.com staff

Chris Leak was one of the many players that announced at the U.S. Army All-American game last year. Organizers expect around 20 players to announce their college decisions during the game.

Things are always bigger and better in Texas, so it’s no surprise that the nation’s top collection of talent will be on hand in San Antonio this week for the U.S. Army All-American Bowl.

The game, slated for noon cst on Saturday, January 3, at the Alamodome features more than 75 of the nation’s top prospects, and Rivals100.com is an exclusive media partner with the All-America game. This means Rivals100.com is the place for inside behind the scenes access you won’t find anywhere else.

Rivals100.com will have three staff writers on site to cover the event, including former Texas A&M assistant coach Alan Weddell.

Before joining the Texas A&M staff in 1998 and retiring this past football season, Weddell led La Marque, Texas, to three consecutive Class 4A state championships (1995-97) and five straight state title games. As a collegiate player, Weddell was an offensive lineman on Darrell Royal's 1970 national champion Texas Longhorn football team.

Weddell will give Rivals100.com readers a true scout’s view of the nation’s top players through analysis from practices, film review and the actual game itself.

But that’s just one part of Rivals100.com’s coverage.

Rivals100.com editor Jeremy Crabtree will host exclusive daily recruiting chats with selected top prospects. Be sure to stay glued to the Rivals100.com message board for updates on special guests and chat times.

You can also expect unrivaled coverage of the events leading up to the game, including coverage of the media day on Tuesday, the U.S. Army All-America combine for the nation’s top juniors, the Playstation 2 and 989 Sports Challenge and the skills competition on Friday.

Other special features will include a look back at U.S. Army All-America game alumni, special audible features from the players themselves and many other exclusive stories.

Keenan is still committed. this is huge. hes a stud.

NU Notes: Nebraska prospect firm on commitment

BY MITCH SHERMAN

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

SAN ANTONIO - Nebraska prospect Michael Keenan was in town Monday, and he wanted to attend the Alamo Bowl.

But Keenan couldn't make it. He was needed at a McRib-eating contest.

The 6-foot-2, 220-pound linebacker from Oak Park High School in Kansas City, Mo., arrived in San Antonio Sunday. Keenan was one of 78 players selected to play in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl, set for noon Saturday.

And before he strapped on his bib Monday at a McDonald's about a mile from the Alamodome, Keenan said he wanted to clear up any uncertainty about his loyalty to Nebraska. As with most NU prospects, it has been questioned during the past four weeks since Coach Frank Solich was fired.

"I'm definitely going there," said Keenan, who committed to Nebraska in June after returning home from Big Red Football School. "There's no question about it, unless some new coach comes in there and tells me he doesn't want me.

"But I don't think that will happen."

Probably not. Of Nebraska's 13 oral commitments, Keenan is perhaps the biggest star. He rushed for 1,909 yards and 23 touchdowns as a senior in eight games and was named the top prep player in Kansas City.

Keenan, who will play linebacker Saturday and at NU, took a recruiting visit this month to Kansas State.

"It's OK," he said, "but that place just does not feel right for me. I feel right at Nebraska."

The U.S. Army All-American Bowl will be televised live on NBC. Keenan will play on the west squad, for which Larry Frost of Walthill, Neb., will serve as an assistant coach.

Daniel Sabreen, public relations manager for the game, said several players plan to announce their college plans during the broadcast.

Ja'Kouri Williams will not be among them. The 5-11, 180-pound running back from Plaquemine, La., has narrowed his list of schools to Nebraska, Michigan, Tennessee and Auburn. He plans to visit Lincoln in January.

"I like Nebraska," said Williams, who will play wide receiver Saturday in San Antonio. "But I'm just going to wait and see what happens. I've been talking to Coach (Tim) Albin, and he told me he thought there would be a coach in place by the bowl game."

Guest WyomingHusker

I watched most of the game. I wasn't aware any NU commits were even present or i would have paid better attention. I did watch them pull a hat from a bag that told who they commited to but never seen one for Nebraska. I watched because I had met a young man on our flight to SA that was a linebacker from California. Very polite kid and had committed to the buffs! :( I tried to talk him into Nebraska! LOL! He just laughed.

It was a good game, I think that group of kids could beat a lot of college teams.

Interesting. Did you get his name? Man you need to improve your recruiting skills WyomingHusker!! You'd be fired if SP had anything to say about it! ;)

So you went to the A-Bowl huh? Is SA a fun city? What were our fans like, MSU fans? Have you been to other bowls - how did it compare?

Blackshirt

I watched most of the game also. I have never seen so much speed on one field at one time by a bunch of 17 and 18 year olds. These guys are so far of anybody at there age even just 10 years ago. Toal from Jersey runs a 4.5 playing fullback?!?!?!??!?

Pederson the RB was amazing in the second half.

All the WR's caught, ran a made moves that broke ankles.

Not even close. Pederson to Oklahoma and Toal will probably stay out East. Boston College where his older brother goes or Virginia Tech, his dad went there. He played on a team in Jersey that finished up being ranked 2nd in the country. They were supposed to face De La Salle from Cally, but it fell through. Something within New Jersey conference rules.

We still have Keenan, but he didn't look particularly great at the game. Especially considering the other linebackers that were there. Eric is right we have no shot at Toal or Peterson. They were both better than the hype.

In fact I don't really know who we will be in on for the remainder of this year. Things are looking bleak, and that's a tremendous understatement. Don't expect any good news on the recruiting front until maybe next October.

Boy I hope I'm wrong.