What are you listening to right now?

While I was visiting Ireland this summer, this particular song holds a rather memorable night for me at a popular pub called Garveys in Galway City. The annual two-week long Galway Arts Festival was in town and the city was in Craic (pronounced crack) mode. I was with 3 of my native Irish cousins and 8 of their friends with one of those friend's being a descendant of the pub owner from Garveys.

Needless to say the pub was overflowing with lots of alcohol and a healthy mix of natives and tourists from the festival crowd. Around 9-ish or so, my cousin's friend suggested to the bartender that he blast this Guided By Voices song over the pub's music system. He then proceeded to get everyone's attention to sing along. So he grabbed a humongous chalkboard that was hiding in the back of the pub and wrote down the lyrics to the song and hung it up for everyone to see and follow along. He modified the end of the lyrics from "Club" to "Pub". We're talking about a 90 second song that turned into a repeat sing along for the next 3 hours straight. It got to the point where they'd replay the song everytime a new patron walked into the pub, which was quite often since traffic was heavy throughout the night. The whole pub was drowning in their drinks while singing along to one of the most epic 90 second songs that ever exists in rock music. An absolute blast of a night.

As for the band, Guided By Voices, I've seen them perform 7 times between '93-'02 and they're a great live band. They're categorized as Indie/Lo-Fi genre. Anyway, the song is called "A Salty Salute" and I'm posting both the live and studio album versions.

Lyrics:

Disarm the settlers

The new drunk drivers

Have hoisted the flag

We are with you in your anger

Proud brothers

Do not fret

The bus will get you there yet

And carry us to the lake

The club is open

Yeah the club is open

Yeah the club is open