Gill's record at Buffalo

Here's Buffalo's wins dating back to 2001, with Turner's two seasons in red.

2001: 2

2002: 1

2003: 1

2004: 2

2005: 1

2006: 2

2007: 5

He won 5 games, had 7 losses. The 7 losses were by 14, 8, 35, 13, 21, 35.

That's a lot of games that weren't even competitive.

Looks like a lot of progress for Buffalo, and 5-7 is a great season for them by their standards. But is this the very best Nebraska can do? It just seems like a gamble to the extreme. Everyone says "yeah but Buffalo sucks so 5 wins is remarkable". So we're going to pick our next coach because he's put together a few wins in two years at a crappy program? I mean even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut. I don't see how any logically thinking person can come to the conclusion that Turner is our best option at this point. How do you make that case?

I will support TO no matter who he hires, but Turner Gill potentially places this program at the cusp of permanent irrelevance.

Here's Buffalo's wins dating back to 2001, with Turner's two seasons in red.

2001: 2

2002: 1

2003: 1

2004: 2

2005: 1

2006: 2

2007: 5

He won 5 games, had 7 losses. The 7 losses were by 14, 8, 35, 13, 21, 35.

That's a lot of games that weren't even competitive.

Looks like a lot of progress for Buffalo, and 5-7 is a great season for them by their standards. But is this the very best Nebraska can do? It just seems like a gamble to the extreme. Everyone says "yeah but Buffalo sucks so 5 wins is remarkable". So we're going to pick our next coach because he's put together a few wins in two years at a crappy program? I mean even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut. I don't see how any logically thinking person can come to the conclusion that Turner is our best option at this point. How do you make that case?

I will support TO no matter who he hires, but Turner Gill potentially places this program at the cusp of permanent irrelevance.

Dude, it's Buffalo and take a look at their schedule. They're playing major programs out-of-conference. Rutgers, Penn State, Syracuse, Baylor. This is the first year you listed they have been competitive within their conference. Five wins with that schedule in Siberia is pretty dang good. And pounded Frank Solich for good measure. If Gill ends up staying at Buffalo IMO he'll end up being the next up-and-coming, hot-property coach.

Also, it may be that there aren't that many guys interested in NU. It takes a special kind of crazy to want to go to a place where most of the fans see winning EVERY GAME as a birthright.

I'm not saying Gill is my top-choice. I rank several, more experienced, guys above him. But do you think a big-name coach would be doing any better at Buffalo? I doubt it. What did Bobby Ross do at Army? Nothing. Buffalo's whole non-con schedule is BCS-conference teams that outgun them. They managed a winning record within the conference(teams you can expect them to have a real chance again). If it was just luck Gill wouldn't be the first guy ever at Buffalo to get over two wins. If Gill wasn't a solid coach Buffalo would be the same absolute trainwreck he inherited.