The Case for Bronco Mendenhall

i'd been thinking mendenhall at least should be looked at all along. I haven't seen BYU play much, maybe 2 times last couple years, but supposedly he created that blitzhappy 3-3-5 D, could be a good D against spread offenses. I wouldn't rule out that osborne hadn't or isn't going to talk to someone like this, on sports nightly he sounded like he talked to more coaches than we thought. So far we only know about 3 coaches, really. 3 to me is not several, which is the word osborne used, 3 is a few. IMO several is at least 5. I wouldn't be surprised if osborne has talked to a large ammount of coaches, he just may not have interviewed a large ammount, idk.

i'd been thinking mendenhall at least should be looked at all along. I haven't seen BYU play much, maybe 2 times last couple years, but supposedly he created that blitzhappy 3-3-5 D, could be a good D against spread offenses. I wouldn't rule out that osborne hadn't or isn't going to talk to someone like this, on sports nightly he sounded like he talked to more coaches than we thought. So far we only know about 3 coaches, really. 3 to me is not several, which is the word osborne used, 3 is a few. IMO several is at least 5. I wouldn't be surprised if osborne has talked to a large ammount of coaches, he just may not have interviewed a large ammount, idk.

You are correct about his creation of a blitzhappy 3-3-5 and with the right personnel could be a very effective defense. BYU's problem has always been very poor team speed in the secondary. This creates a problem as this blitz package relies heavily on one-on-one coverage in the secondary. A talented quarterback and receiving corp are able to exploit it fairly easily. I doubt this would be as much of a problem for the huskers, as they have historical had a very solid secondary and front three.

He has since switched to a 3-4 defense which has proved to be absolutely the right move for his current personnel. This is another factor which makes him a great coach - not only does he surround himself with excellect Asst coaches, but he is not willing to change his schemes and sets depending on need.

He would be a great fit for Nebraska. Just so long as they can tolerate a coach whos vocabulary has nothing stronger than a word that rhymes with bass.