Bo v Gill: Should be VERY Simple!

I wonder if Osborne has "warned" Gill about taking the job right now. As in reminding him about how demanding the fans are going to be and telling him that he only gets one chance at NU to be the head coach, and this might not be the right time for him. Seriously, the Nebraska head coaching job is probably one of the most demanding HC jobs in the country -- you don't have a huge pool of talent in the state; the fans demand at least 9 wins per year; you are the most recongnizable person in the state and can't go to the grocery store without being hounded by fans; etc; etc.

RKHUFU we all know you hate Pelini and are trying to make this some racist thing. It is total crap! Have you every played football? The best part about football is at practice / at a game you aren't white, hispanic, or black you are RED or whatever your school color is. You have to be a team. I think it is total BS that you insinuate that because the majority of Nebraskan's are white, that's why they may hire a white coach. It shows that you are ignorant. Nebraska, specifically T.O., will hire the coach that they believe gives them the best chance to WIN......because that's why you play and it helps the school make $$$$$ which is the heart of the reason BC was canned. :nutz

He only coached at NU for one season. He coached at OU for one season. He is the DC at LSU, who may lose their HC to Michigan. What makes him the best candidate for NU over Turner Gill, who is a current HC at a school with zero talent, and who is a former player, multi-year assistant and so on?

He has also been a defensive coach in the NFL andhas had documented success everywhere he has been. Turner Gill is a great story, but Buffalo is not LSU...... if Turner Gill wasn't from NU would he get consideration? What other major D1 jobs is he being considered for? If he continues turning Buffalo around and has more success I think he'll be a hot commodity.

119 D1 schools, 6 black coached, in a sport that has way more than 50% black players. Don't you think that you could find a FEW good black HCs since so many of the players are black? the odds of getting great black coaches is very LOW, since you are only giving a MINISCULE FEW an opportunity to be coordinators, much less HCs. Gill is 45, Pelini is 39.

Absolutely there should be more African-American coaches. They need to be afforded more opportunities as assistants and coordinators.....then that will work itself out over time. Need to build into more HC positions.

Pelini hasn't wowed anyone in interviews and I honestly don't see him being any better than Brent Venables at OU, where he was co-DC for a year. The only thing he has over Gill are his physical characters that represent the majority of the Nebraska and American population. If Gill doesn't get the job, he will get an opportunity, maybe at a loser program in a BCS conference, where all the odds are against him.

I would hope Turner would hold out for a better job, but right now he's not even getting sniffs of crappy jobs. He needs to continue with Buffalo and establish himself.

Pelini has only coached at top programs, and he is very young for a BCS conference HC, and he only coached at NU for one year, when things were in FLUX!

And he turned the defense around DRAMATICALLY, after he left it went right back in the COZ.

Turning your back on Turner is a MAJOR slap in the face! If Gill were Brook Beringer, the choice would be simple, the former All-American QB and loyal assistant and current MAC coach of the year. He isn't, and he won't be the next coach at NU or any STORIED program.

No, Berringer wouldn't get any different consideration than Gill is getting. There are lots of All - American quarterbacks and lots of assistant coaches..... they are not all going to be head coaches. Just because you can throw / run doesn't mean you can scheme / motivate. I know it's football but they are different jobs. You can only look at COACHING. Not where they played quarterback..... why isn't Tommy Frazier getting any love for HC?

I love Turner Gill, he's one of my all-time favorite Huskers and I think that SOME DAY he will be a good coach for Nebraska. However, if Gill hadn't played for NU we would not even be considering him for our head coach. I just don't think he's ready.

Would we be considering Pelini if he hadn't been DC here for one season? I don't think anybody else is considering Pelini to be an HC candidate.

Wow! Exactly, thats why I wish we weren't considering EITHER OF THEM! They have their perks but they aren't Nebraska HC material quite yet.

Ok question what makes you think if someone besides Bo or Gill is hired they would embrace the Nebraska tradtions?? I understand there is more to the next coach then embraceing our tradtions, but it was a pretty big down flaw with BC...

I love Turner Gill, he's one of my all-time favorite Huskers and I think that SOME DAY he will be a good coach for Nebraska. However, if Gill hadn't played for NU we would not even be considering him for our head coach. I just don't think he's ready.

Would we be considering Pelini if he hadn't been DC here for one season? I don't think anybody else is considering Pelini to be an HC candidate.

Wow! Exactly, thats why I wish we weren't considering EITHER OF THEM! They have their perks but they aren't Nebraska HC material quite yet.

Ok question what makes you think if someone besides Bo or Gill is hired they would embrace the Nebraska tradtions?? I understand there is more to the next coach then embraceing our tradtions, but it was a pretty big down flaw with BC...

Fair enough, but I think that any coach that embraces tough defense, a tough practice/conditioning regimen, and tough run-blocking will, by virtue of those traits, embrace the biggest Husker tradition of all: WINNING.

Fair enough, but I think that any coach that embraces tough defense, a tough practice/conditioning regimen, and tough run-blocking will, by virtue of those traits, embrace the biggest Husker tradition of all: WINNING.

True winning makes all the other little things go away.. I am a big BO supporter but also would love to see Gill SOMEDAY be our coach, so I am just worried that as some of you have said above that he needs more time in Buffalo that he will become hot on everyones list down the road and when we want him he will say to bad so sad you had your chance.. I hope this doesnt happen but a man can only get passed over so many times before the says screw it...

I think I'm starting to favor Gill over Pelini. At first I thought TO was going to "reward" another one of his homeboys, but if I compare him to Pelini, I've got to say I'd rather have a cool-headed Gill on the sidelines than Pelini. Although, I have no idea who each candidate is saying they would consider for staff. TO said that is just as important as the HC, so he is no doubt considering this to be an entire staff he is hiring and not just a head coach.

He only coached at NU for one season. He coached at OU for one season. He is the DC at LSU, who may lose their HC to Michigan. What makes him the best candidate for NU over Turner Gill, who is a current HC at a school with zero talent, and who is a former player, multi-year assistant and so on? 119 D1 schools, 6 black coached, in a sport that has way more than 50% black players. Don't you think that you could find a FEW good black HCs since so many of the players are black? the odds of getting great black coaches is very LOW, since you are only giving a MINISCULE FEW an opportunity to be coordinators, much less HCs. Gill is 45, Pelini is 39. Pelini hasn't wowed anyone in interviews and I honestly don't see him being any better than Brent Venables at OU, where he was co-DC for a year. The only thing he has over Gill are his physical characters that represent the majority of the Nebraska and American population. If Gill doesn't get the job, he will get an opportunity, maybe at a loser program in a BCS conference, where all the odds are against him. Pelini has only coached at top programs, and he is very young for a BCS conference HC, and he only coached at NU for one year, when things were in FLUX! Turning your back on Turner is a MAJOR slap in the face! If Gill were Brook Beringer, the choice would be simple, the former All-American QB and loyal assistant and current MAC coach of the year. He isn't, and he won't be the next coach at NU or any STORIED program.

another ZINGER from rkhufu7!....have you been eating retard sandwiches again?

I think I'm starting to favor Gill over Pelini. At first I thought TO was going to "reward" another one of his homeboys, but if I compare him to Pelini, I've got to say I'd rather have a cool-headed Gill on the sidelines than Pelini. Although, I have no idea who each candidate is saying they would consider for staff. TO said that is just as important as the HC, so he is no doubt considering this to be an entire staff he is hiring and not just a head coach.

I'd rather have Pelini on the sideline kicking some a$$ if things weren't going well. Unlike Callahan who wouldn't talk to anyone but his QB or other coaches.

If Bo was turned down at Minnesota....yes I said Minnesota who lost to N.Dakota this year then I think you have your answer about Bo

If Bo was turned down at Minnesota....yes I said Minnesota who lost to N.Dakota this year then I think you have your answer about Bo

Tom Osborne is the AD, it doesn't mean he has the final word on the HC!

Actually it tells me more about you, and maybe Minnesota. How about a LINK that Pelini was rejected by Minnesota?

Maybe Minnesota lost to North Dakota because they didn't hire Pelini. Your logic makes my nuts hurt :w00t:madash

And Turner Gill was offered every job in the country before taking the worst one: Buffalo

I hope Turner Gill does not get the Nebraska job because he is black. If so, then it would truly be a racist thing. I have the same dream Martin Luther had, "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

If Gill gets the job because of his character, because of his coaching, because of what he brings to the table as a human being and his life experiences ... then, it will be for the right reasons.

When I see all these folks say that race should be first ... to me, they violate the very heart of what Martin Luther King Jr. said ... and ... they go against what America is truly all about.

It's the best candidate that should get the job ... period.

Personally, I can see why TO thinks Gill is a great choice. I'd love to see him or Pelini get it, but color has nothing to do with it.

Mark

I hope Turner Gill does not get the Nebraska job because he is black. If so, then it would truly be a racist thing. I have the same dream Martin Luther had, "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

If Gill gets the job because of his character, because of his coaching, because of what he brings to the table as a human being and his life experiences ... then, it will be for the right reasons.

When I see all these folks say that race should be first ... to me, they violate the very heart of what Martin Luther King said ... and ... they go against what America is truly all about.

It's the best candidate that should get the job ... period.

Personally, I can see why TO thinks Gill is a great choice. I'd love to see him or Pelini get it, but color has nothing to do with it.

Mark