Bo v Gill: Should be VERY Simple!

He only coached at NU for one season. He coached at OU for one season. He is the DC at LSU, who may lose their HC to Michigan. What makes him the best candidate for NU over Turner Gill, who is a current HC at a school with zero talent, and who is a former player, multi-year assistant and so on? 119 D1 schools, 6 black coached, in a sport that has way more than 50% black players. Don't you think that you could find a FEW good black HCs since so many of the players are black? the odds of getting great black coaches is very LOW, since you are only giving a MINISCULE FEW an opportunity to be coordinators, much less HCs. Gill is 45, Pelini is 39. Pelini hasn't wowed anyone in interviews and I honestly don't see him being any better than Brent Venables at OU, where he was co-DC for a year. The only thing he has over Gill are his physical characters that represent the majority of the Nebraska and American population. If Gill doesn't get the job, he will get an opportunity, maybe at a loser program in a BCS conference, where all the odds are against him. Pelini has only coached at top programs, and he is very young for a BCS conference HC, and he only coached at NU for one year, when things were in FLUX! Turning your back on Turner is a MAJOR slap in the face! If Gill were Brook Beringer, the choice would be simple, the former All-American QB and loyal assistant and current MAC coach of the year. He isn't, and he won't be the next coach at NU or any STORIED program.

Being black has nothing to do with trying to get the best person for the job. No University is going to just hire a black coach to appease the NAACP, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, or anyone else. You hire a coach that you think will win. If anyone could win, then Nebraska wouldn't be where they are today.

I think Gill is great...just don't know if he has the experience at this level that Nebraska would want...even Pelini would be a crap shoot on the experience thing...it comes down tp philosophy. Gill has one up with TO on that most likely...but who knows for sure except TO?

Then again, maybe it is someone altogether different...we will find out next week. I think the decision is already made...we are waiting for the conference championships to be over before they announce it.

Being black has nothing to do with trying to get the best person for the job. No University is going to just hire a black coach to appease the NAACP, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, or anyone else. You hire a coach that you think will win. If anyone could win, then Nebraska wouldn't be where they are today.

I think Gill is great...just don't know if he has the experience at this level that Nebraska would want...even Pelini would be a crap shoot on the experience thing...it comes down tp philosophy. Gill has one up with TO on that most likely...but who knows for sure except TO?

Then again, maybe it is someone altogether different...we will find out next week. I think the decision is already made...we are waiting for the conference championships to be over before they announce it.

I would like to see Mike Tomlin named the new head coach. He is young, black and has more than enough experience. Maybe the BCA and NAACP could help us convince him to come here.

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

If you want to turn this into a race thing then you had better take a longer look at Nebraska's Football program and the man who occupies the position of Athletic Director. Are there race problems in the State of Nebraska? Yes, but I defy you to find an area of the country where race is not a problem. Further more it's a street that runs both ways. There needs to be a lot of work and serious thought on all sides becaust this is not just a white - black problem.

...T_O_B

I would like to see Mike Tomlin named the new head coach. He is young, black and has more than enough experience. Maybe the BCA and NAACP could help us convince him to come here.

Tomlin will soon be a Super Bowl coach. Good luck getting him away from the Steelers.

...T_O_B

He only coached at NU for one season. He coached at OU for one season. He is the DC at LSU, who may lose their HC to Michigan. What makes him the best candidate for NU over Turner Gill, who is a current HC at a school with zero talent, and who is a former player, multi-year assistant and so on? 119 D1 schools, 6 black coached, in a sport that has way more than 50% black players. Don't you think that you could find a FEW good black HCs since so many of the players are black? the odds of getting great black coaches is very LOW, since you are only giving a MINISCULE FEW an opportunity to be coordinators, much less HCs. Gill is 45, Pelini is 39. Pelini hasn't wowed anyone in interviews and I honestly don't see him being any better than Brent Venables at OU, where he was co-DC for a year. The only thing he has over Gill are his physical characters that represent the majority of the Nebraska and American population. If Gill doesn't get the job, he will get an opportunity, maybe at a loser program in a BCS conference, where all the odds are against him. Pelini has only coached at top programs, and he is very young for a BCS conference HC, and he only coached at NU for one year, when things were in FLUX! Turning your back on Turner is a MAJOR slap in the face! If Gill were Brook Beringer, the choice would be simple, the former All-American QB and loyal assistant and current MAC coach of the year. He isn't, and he won't be the next coach at NU or any STORIED program.

Are you going to call TO a racist if he hires Pelini instead of Gill? Because that is how I am taking it. Just because there is a choice to be made between a white-black coach doesnt mean the black coach should automatically get the leg up just to be PC or to make up for a lack of black coaches. TO will make his choice based on his feeling of who is better fit for the job. The bigger slap in the face is to give the job to someone who isnt ready for it just so you can appease race baiters. This isn't a white-black thing, this is a who will dig NU out of a hole thing. Stop looking for racial issues where they aren't. :angry:

Are you going to call TO a racist if he hires Pelini instead of Gill? Because that is how I am taking it. Just because there is a choice to be made between a white-black coach doesnt mean the black coach should automatically get the leg up just to be PC or to make up for a lack of black coaches. TO will make his choice based on his feeling of who is better fit for the job. The bigger slap in the face is to give the job to someone who isnt ready for it just so you can appease race baiters. This isn't a white-black thing, this is a who will dig NU out of a hole thing. Stop looking for racial issues where they aren't. :angry:

Easy people, that was just one small part of his idea as to why Turner should get the job.

I hope Turner gets the gig, but I'm growing fearful that its not going to happen.

I will agree, as one looks at the coaching landscape in D1 college football, white priviledge is certainly observed. White head coaches, white coordinators. Sure there are black head coaches and coordinators, but they are the exception rather than the rule. Can it be that white men just happen to be naturally better coaches than black men? No. It boils down to a question of opportunity.

To say, however, that Gill will not be named head coach simply because he is black, is going a bit too far. First of all, Tom Osborne is a man of great integrity. I cannot see him weighing black versus white to make his final decision. Second, there are legitimate arguments for both Pelini and Gill. One can justify the choice of either with legitimate and rational arguments. If Gill were a white man, he wouldn't be any more of a slam-dunk choice than he is now. He may be passed over for Pelini as he may be now.

A decision for Pelini is not a decision to keep black men out of the Nebraska head coaching position. It is not a slap in the face of Turner Gill. It is a difficult decision made by a man of great integrity.

I love Turner Gill, he's one of my all-time favorite Huskers and I think that SOME DAY he will be a good coach for Nebraska. However, if Gill hadn't played for NU we would not even be considering him for our head coach. I just don't think he's ready.

Would we be considering Pelini if he hadn't been DC here for one season? I don't think anybody else is considering Pelini to be an HC candidate.

I love Turner Gill, he's one of my all-time favorite Huskers and I think that SOME DAY he will be a good coach for Nebraska. However, if Gill hadn't played for NU we would not even be considering him for our head coach. I just don't think he's ready.

This is more than likely true, but remember that he is getting looked at by WSU, so we would not be the only BCS school he interviewed with this year.

He's definitely turning heads with what he's doing at Buffalo. I would expect him to come home at some point in his coaching career, I just don't know if now is the time.

Would we be considering Pelini if he hadn't been DC here for one season? I don't think anybody else is considering Pelini to be an HC candidate.

Wow! Exactly, thats why I wish we weren't considering EITHER OF THEM! They have their perks but they aren't Nebraska HC material quite yet.

TO doesnt see in black an white.. He will pick the best coach for the job no matter what color there skin is, its pretty dumb for those people out there that think just cause he is black will be the reason he isnt hired.. I feel Gill is and will be a great coach but dont feel right now is the time to give him the job, maybe in few years if things dont work out with BO... No matter what TO will pick the guy he wants and we will support him....