LSU fans say good ridence to Pelini!

rkhufu7

its more we didn't blitz against arky on a 4th and 12 in overtime, consequently they got the first down and went on to win the game.

This one cracks me up. I really don't think that blitzing on a 4th and 12 is the right answer most of the time. This is just a hindsight is 20/20 thing. If they would have blitzed and been burned deep, the same LSU fans would be complaining that he blitzed and should have put in a nickel package. chuckleshuffle

its more we didn't blitz against arky on a 4th and 12 in overtime, consequently they got the first down and went on to win the game.

This one cracks me up. I really don't think that blitzing on a 4th and 12 is the right answer most of the time. This is just a hindsight is 20/20 thing. If they would have blitzed and been burned deep, the same LSU fans would be complaining that he blitzed and should have put in a nickel package. chuckleshuffle

well, it 4th and 12. arky has an inexperienced young qb, they have to score a td to get another ot...

you have a severly banged up secondary that has been less than awesome all season long...how does "not blitzing" sound good?

well, it 4th and 12. arky has an inexperienced young qb, they have to score a td to get another ot...

you have a severly banged up secondary that has been less than awesome all season long...how does "not blitzing" sound good?

Not blitzing sounds good, because a blitz is high risk, and that situation does not call for a high risk/high reward option. If it works, you know you are going to stop them. If it doesn't, then you're putting even more pressure on your severely banged up secondary which is now undermanned to stop the receivers because you have blitzed, and are probably going to give up the first down. You just need to stop the offense from gaining more than 11 yards, so why not put in a base package, or even a nickel package, because you are relatively sure they are going to pass. The fans calling for a blitz in that situation are assuming that a blitz would be successful. If that were always true, then I guess you should have been blitzing every play.

Yeah, LSU didn't blitz on that play, and it didn't work out. That doesn't mean it was the wrong call. If you play poker, you may know that in some situations you have a 95% chance of winning if you bet. Occasionally you bet in that situation and lose, because the 5% chance of losing hits. That doesn't mean you made the wrong decision, it just means you were unlucky.

Not blitzing sounds good, because a blitz is high risk, and that situation does not call for a high risk/high reward option. If it works, you know you are going to stop them. If it doesn't, then you're putting even more pressure on your severely banged up secondary which is now undermanned to stop the receivers because you have blitzed, and are probably going to give up the first down. You just need to stop the offense from gaining more than 11 yards, so why not put in a base package, or even a nickel package, because you are relatively sure they are going to pass. The fans calling for a blitz in that situation are assuming that a blitz would be successful. If that were always true, then I guess you should have been blitzing every play.

Yeah, LSU didn't blitz on that play, and it didn't work out. That doesn't mean it was the wrong call. If you play poker, you may know that in some situations you have a 95% chance of winning if you bet. Occasionally you bet in that situation and lose, because the 5% chance of losing hits. That doesn't mean you made the wrong decision, it just means you were unlucky.

you're assuming there were more than two wideouts. that not being the case, commiting a linebacker is as safe if not safer than not commiting one.

you're assuming there were more than two wideouts. that not being the case, commiting a linebacker is as safe if not safer than not commiting one.

I disagree. Just because there are only two wideouts does not mean that there will only be two potential receivers. I'm sure you've heard that tight ends and running backs are eligible receivers. ;)

I disagree. Just because there are only two wideouts does not mean that there will only be two potential receivers. I'm sure you've heard that tight ends and running backs are eligible receivers. ;)

yes, but i'm also aware there are 11 defensive playes on the field.

Ok lets think about this for a second, I would venture a guess that most DC would have played this the same way Bo did in that one occassion. It might be true that he didnt blitz enough at other times but on 4 and 12 I dont think blitzing is the answer.

Before i go on i would like to say i am a big fan of blizing, and getting pressure on the QB, but you have to look at the situation, and in this instance i think Pelini made the right call and Arkansas just made a play.

On 4th and 12 you can give up 11 yards and still win the game. You said LSU has a "banged up secondary that has been less than aweseom all season long", well i dont know if you looked at any stats or anything before coming up with this stupid remark, but LSU currently ranks 9th in the nation in passing defense. If you ask any football fan who isnt drooling i think that would be considered awesome, all season. Also in a situation like 4th and 12 the offense can only do so much, a defense doesnt have to worry about a slant, or a 10 yard out, there isnt much threat of a run, all you have to do is keep the WR in front of you and tackle him before he gets 12 yards. Why take away another pass defender and send him after the QB(AR is 3rd in the nation in sacks allowed) when the odds of you getting to him arent that great. and put your DBs in one on one situations where a missed tackle would give up the first down.

Ok lets think about this for a second, I would venture a guess that most DC would have played this the same way Bo did in that one occassion. It might be true that he didnt blitz enough at other times but on 4 and 12 I dont think blitzing is the answer.

Before i go on i would like to say i am a big fan of blizing, and getting pressure on the QB, but you have to look at the situation, and in this instance i think Pelini made the right call and Arkansas just made a play.

On 4th and 12 you can give up 11 yards and still win the game. You said LSU has a "banged up secondary that has been less than aweseom all season long", well i dont know if you looked at any stats or anything before coming up with this stupid remark, but LSU currently ranks 9th in the nation in passing defense. If you ask any football fan who isnt drooling i think that would be considered awesome, all season. Also in a situation like 4th and 12 the offense can only do so much, a defense doesnt have to worry about a slant, or a 10 yard out, there isnt much threat of a run, all you have to do is keep the WR in front of you and tackle him before he gets 12 yards. Why take away another pass defender and send him after the QB(AR is 3rd in the nation in sacks allowed) when the odds of you getting to him arent that great. and put your DBs in one on one situations where a missed tackle would give up the first down.

1) watch a person named danny mccray play secondary for lsu

2) watch the lsu arkansas game

3) only talk about things you understand

4) upon completion of #1 define the word "awesome"

If you don't want Bo, why do you care so much what we think of him?

Not blitzing on 4th and 12 does sound like a mistake, in hind sight. However, i don't know much about the how the game went up to that point. If LSU had been blitzing a lot or had been getting good pressure from their D line, i could understand the decision not to go for it.

Even if it was a bad call, so what. It's one call, and every coach makes a bad call once in a while. I'm fine with giving him criticism for not blitzing on 4th and 12. But at the same time, isn't the guy at least somewhat responsible for the preceeding 3 downs that apparently went well to put Arky in a bad position. Or how about his D winning the game against Tenn? Seesh.

The man's defense got you into the NC game. I find it hard to believe there's not a lot more good than bad about his coaching.