Big 12 Best Conference?

JHaWk

Until Big XII teams start playing better defense, I cannot consider them a top conference. High-powered offenses are a dime a dozen in college football, and the Big XII has plenty of them; but great defenses are much rarer, and most of them are outside of our conference.

The two highest ranked Big XII teams in total defense are Kansas (14) and Oklahoma (18). Then its a long drop back to Texas Tech (50) and Texas (54). That's pretty bad. The SEC, Big 10, Big East, and ACC each have at least two top 10 teams in total defense.

You can make the case that the low defensive performance is a result of the amazing offenses in the conference, but I think the truth is closer to the alternative, that the great Big XII offensive output is a product of a lot of poor defenses.

Yeah, there use to be a name for conferences that had no defense...Um...Oh Yeah, the WAC :D

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

With several Big 12 teams dancing around in the Top Ten ballroom this year I think you are quite possibly right, of course the East Coast talking heads will never give credit where credit is due.

>>>T_O_B

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

Hmmm, maybe I'm an east coast talking head, being in DC and all...

...I just can't give credit to a conference where there are consistently scores in the 76-52 ballpark. The complete lack of defense among most of the Big XII has allowed the few decent defensive teams in the conference (KU and OU) to run away with one and two loss records and into the top 10. I still feel like if you put Missouri or Kansas in the SEC, they go 7-5 or 8-4.

The Big 12 is already has the most potent offenses among all conferences. 7 out of the top 20 scoring teams came from the Big 12 this year. The SEC was second with 4.

The Big 12 has solid QBs throughout the conference, with the exception of a couple teams. They will all be back too. And it's a spread attack, read option league. I really believe these teams can move the ball on the SEC teams. They dont see that kind of prolific offense week in and week out (in the SEC).

Next year, I agree, will be even better (potentially).

As far as KU is concerned, I think we're likely looking at a team that peaked in their win over Nebraska earlier this season. I believe that they'll be sustainable as a solid team going forward, but I have plenty of doubts as to whether they'll ever be as spectacular as they were this year. Reesing is a stud, and Mangino is great, but I'm not sold on the team as a whole... aside from that, even you'll admit that the Jayhawks' schedule was remarkably easy this year. Let's see how they fare next year when Oklahoma AND Texas are on their slate.

Missouri's the one team in the division that I feel could have sustainable success going forward. That Maclin kid is unbelievable, and if they can find a suitable replacement for Daniel after he graduates, that team could be consistently top quality for the next 5+ years.

The bowl will expose KU. I believe that. Based on the last game against Mizzou, I think we're going to see KU fade. Again.... Mizzou will rule the north for next season or two unless somebody musters a strong enough defense to control their quarterbacks. Unfortunately I don't see them beat OU. Texas yes, Oklahoma no. Stoops looks to have Pinkel's number.