Bo

Pelini sends players a message

So, the new Nebraska football boss is bringing some new ideas. Bill Callahan and Frank Solich, to my knowledge, never strolled onto campus to make sure players were making it to class.

But that’s what Bo Pelini did Monday, the first day of the spring semester. I guess there’s nothing like sending an early message to players about the importance of scholastics.

Pelini practiced what he's preaching: He was a three-time Academic All-Big Ten selection during his playing days at Ohio State.

But hey, you have to have some fun, too. Right?

To that end, you may have noted the mischievous grin Nebraska defensive coordinator Carl Pelini was wearing Saturday night as he “threw the bones” (raised and crossed his arms) toward the student section at halftime of the Kansas-NU basketball game.

All of the defensive assistants threw up the bones.

Turns out, the show of confidence was Carl’s idea.

“I knew the students would eat it up,” he says. “All of us were fired up.”

The Nebraska defense obviously could use a little pick-me-up, among other things, after finishing 114th nationally in scoring defense in 2007 (surrendering 37.9 points per game). The Huskers return six defensive starters – linemen Barry Turner, Ty Steinkuhler, Ndamukong Suh and Zach Potter as well as defensive backs Armando Murillo and Larry Asante.

“We have plenty of talent to be good,” Carl Pelini says.

http://www.journalstar.com/blog/huskers.php

To that end, you may have noted the mischievous grin Nebraska defensive coordinator Carl Pelini was wearing Saturday night as he “threw the bones” (raised and crossed his arms) toward the student section at halftime of the Kansas-NU basketball game.

All of the defensive assistants threw up the bones.

Turns out, the show of confidence was Carl’s idea.

“I knew the students would eat it up,” he says. “All of us were fired up.”

http://www.journalstar.com/blog/huskers.php

... with a SPOON.

it's good that the coaches know how to push the buttons.