Coach Bob Knight resigns from Texas Tech

link

LUBBOCK, Texas -- Texas Tech coach Bob Knight resigned Monday and his son Pat will take over the program.

Chris Cook, a spokesman for athletic director Gerald Myers confirmed the resignation, which was first reported by the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal.

Bob Knight has 902 career wins, more than any coach in the history of Division I men's basketball. Win No. 900 came last month against Texas A&M. The Red Raiders are 12-8 this season.

The 67-year-old Knight has been a head coach for 42 years at three Division I schools. He got his 100th victory at Army, then moved to Indiana, where his Hoosiers went 662-239 and won three national championships from 1971-2000.

His first NCAA title came in 1976 when Indiana went undefeated, a feat no team has done since. In 1984, he coached the U.S. Olympic team to a gold medal in Los Angeles.

Knight, known as much for his fiery temper as his coaching brilliance, came to Texas Tech in March 2001, six months after being fired by Indiana for what school officials there called a "pattern of unacceptable behavior."

He began his coaching career in 1965 at Army, where at 24 he was the youngest-ever Division I coach.

link

LUBBOCK, Texas -- Texas Tech coach Bob Knight resigned Monday and his son Pat will take over the program.

Chris Cook, a spokesman for athletic director Gerald Myers confirmed the resignation, which was first reported by the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal.

Bob Knight has 902 career wins, more than any coach in the history of Division I men's basketball. Win No. 900 came last month against Texas A&M. The Red Raiders are 12-8 this season.

The 67-year-old Knight has been a head coach for 42 years at three Division I schools. He got his 100th victory at Army, then moved to Indiana, where his Hoosiers went 662-239 and won three national championships from 1971-2000.

His first NCAA title came in 1976 when Indiana went undefeated, a feat no team has done since. In 1984, he coached the U.S. Olympic team to a gold medal in Los Angeles.

Knight, known as much for his fiery temper as his coaching brilliance, came to Texas Tech in March 2001, six months after being fired by Indiana for what school officials there called a "pattern of unacceptable behavior."

He began his coaching career in 1965 at Army, where at 24 he was the youngest-ever Division I coach.

Might I add, in all 42 years, not one of his teams were ever sanctioned by the NCAA.

Probably will never be another coach like him in college sports. Good luck to him in his retirement.

:)

A great loss to college basketball. I totally agree with H_P. Clean programs and great ball. We, Coach Knight and I had similar personalities. I was once thrown out of a tournament game my daughter was playing in. The refs stunk so bad I just couldn't controll myself. The girls on the team still stop by and love me. Well, one anyway.

>>>T_O_B

:)