Bo Pelini is badmouthing Nebraska.

kramer

Just so I get this straight...

If a recruit who hasn't stepped foot on the field in Lincoln says something good about the NU program, he's telling the truth. But if a kid who has played under Callahan says something bad and leaves, he's lying or being bitter.

Right....got it.

IRISH!

There's the question of motivation - why would a recruit who has committed, has not waivered, and therefore has nothing to gain by it, lie?

Conversly, the motivation of a player who leaves the program when he is not receiving playing time he thinks should be his, or who might have some other reason for being bitter, is cause to question the credibility of the statements made by that player.

This topic, of course, is filled with speculation. This reply isn't any different. Who knows if Dillard is lying or not? But if you are going to speculate, since that's all we really can do unless someone has Dillard's phone number, you have to look at the motivation like AR said. Dillard has nothing to gain by saying what he said. Pelini, saying what he said, now looks like more of a jackass IMO.

I don't doubt that Pelini said those things between him and Dillard. I have to believe that most coaches are going to at least take a shot or two at other schools when talking to the recruits. Hell, I would probably do it. However, I would do it jokingly because that's not what you want to concentrate on. You want to talk to the kid about what your university can do for the kid, not spend time talking about some one elses university. Apparently Dillard wanted to hear about what OU can do for him and all he heard was Pelini talking about NU.

Pelini would have done himself good by simply saying "I don't have any comment on that." when asked about Dillards comments IMO.

Say what you want about Polini hating Pederson, but he wouldnt have tried to get the job if he didnt like the program, and didnt want to stay part of it. He may be bitter, but bitter enough to thrash on the players/program he was with? I don't know him personally, but most coaches just don't do that to players they like, and he must have liked them, because he wanted to stay. As far as the kid goes everyone on here sure will be watching for him next year won't they, and know exactly who he is.

Say what you want about Polini hating Pederson, but he wouldnt have tried to get the job if he didnt like the program, and didnt want to stay part of it. He may be bitter, but bitter enough to thrash on the players/program he was with? I don't know him personally, but most coaches just don't do that to players they like, and he must have liked them, because he wanted to stay. As far as the kid goes everyone on here sure will be watching for him next year won't they, and know exactly who he is.

Everyone will be watching everything closely as they have been for the past 6 months. Especially the new recruits.

Don't think the media didn't play a role in this at least a little. People eat this stuff up. It sells newspapers. ;)

Its probably a combo of everything wrapped up into one. Did pud sink Bo's boat, who knows, but I surely wouldnt put it past him. Even if he says he didnt, he's a proven liar.

Did Bo talk trash about NU, I'm sure he pointed a finger or two, and told Dillard a few facts about how pud and cally do things, and why wouldnt he, after the way he was treated?

Is Dillard a kid just talking to be talking? Sure, he is, and isnt he the one who outed this story to the press? Sounds like he wants to make himself important.

Cant really believe anyone in this instance.

Its probably a combo of everything wrapped up into one. Did pud sink Bo's boat, who knows, but I surely wouldnt put it past him. Even if he says he didnt, he's a proven liar.

Did Bo talk trash about NU, I'm sure he pointed a finger or two, and told Dillard a few facts about how pud and cally do things, and why wouldnt he, after the way he was treated?

Is Dillard a kid just talking to be talking? Sure, he is, and isnt he the one who outed this story to the press? Sounds like he wants to make himself important.

Cant really believe anyone in this instance.

Wow, I threw in a sarcastic post earlier regarding this, but this is the most logic I've seen you write, and I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually agree with you.

This topic, of course, is filled with speculation. This reply isn't any different. Who knows if Dillard is lying or not? But if you are going to speculate, since that's all we really can do unless someone has Dillard's phone number, you have to look at the motivation like AR said. Dillard has nothing to gain by saying what he said. Pelini, saying what he said, now looks like more of a jackass IMO.

I don't doubt that Pelini said those things between him and Dillard. I have to believe that most coaches are going to at least take a shot or two at other schools when talking to the recruits. Hell, I would probably do it. However, I would do it jokingly because that's not what you want to concentrate on. You want to talk to the kid about what your university can do for the kid, not spend time talking about some one elses university. Apparently Dillard wanted to hear about what OU can do for him and all he heard was Pelini talking about NU.

Pelini would have done himself good by simply saying "I don't have any comment on that." when asked about Dillards comments IMO.

Absolutely agree.

I really liked the article Harold Andersen wrote in the World Herald today.

I want to comment today on Bo Pelini's headlined, quickly discredited cheap shot at University of Nebraska-Lincoln Athletic Director Steve Pederson.

But first, an explanation of why I believe we now have persuasive evidence that Pederson made the right decisions in firing Husker head football coach Frank Solich after the 2003 season and not replacing him with Pelini, Nebraska's defensive coordinator that year.

The evidence is found in a series of coaching changes during and after the 2004 season that left 22 openings for head coaches at Division I universities.

Solich was hired as head coach at Ohio University. Pelini, now co-defensive coordinator at Oklahoma, sought the head-coaching jobs at Pittsburgh and Syracuse, but neither school hired him.

So Solich and Pelini wound up without new major-university coaching jobs at a time that saw an unusual number of head-coaching vacancies.

Incidentally but importantly, I believe that Solich goes to his new job with the best wishes not only of those who thought he should not be fired but also of the Nebraska fans - a strong majority, I believe - who felt that it was time for him to depart.

As to Pelini: The head-coaching aspirant told a reporter that Pederson tried to damage his candidacy for the Pittsburgh job.

When I described that cheap shot as "quickly discredited," I had in mind that the same news story included flat denials by Pederson and E.G. Borghetti, assistant athletic director at Pittsburgh, that there was any communication between Pederson and Pittsburgh Athletic Director Jeff Long during Pittsburgh's coaching search.

"Steve Pederson had absolutely no influence whatsoever on the viability of Bo Pelini's candidacy," Borghetti said.

Unfortunately, Pelini's cheap shot made the headline and the lead paragraph in the news account. The decisive rebuttals appeared at the end of the story, on an inside page.

Maybe Pelini will never grow up. He is as bitter as formerfan.