So who do you think will start on defense?

bbhusker

Yeah, now that you mention it, Blue did look good whenever he got on the field. Can't wait to see how things will shake down but one thing I do know is that Sanders will have this secondary playing 100 times better than the past 4 years. We might even see our corners looking for the ball when its in the air.

There's an article on the Lincoln Journal Star website(not sure if this has been mentioned yet, sorry if it has) where Bo says that he isn't really going to look at much film of last season because he said that it is not fair to the players because it might cause judgement on the coaches part of what a player can do. He said that during spring ball that the coaches will impliment their system and see where the players fit. With the new training and conditioning this seems like a great idea since Bo might get sick watching our defense from last year. I guess he said he might peek at a little film, but that it will not change how he evaluates the players. Just some info. Like I said before, sorry if this has already be mentioned.

Agreed, these players don't even know what a BLACKSHIRT means let alone got to wear them last year. Even in the glory days only the elite players received one, just because someone started didn't mean they automatically got a Blackshirt.

I think that the attitude will be there, remember these players voluntarily gave up their blackshirts last year instead of staining them with bad performances.

Actually only Zach Bowman was the ONLY defensive pplayer to voluntarily hand in his Blackshirt, saying that he didn't feel that he was playing well enough to wear it. The other defensive players shrugged their shoulders at his gesture of leadership be example and continued to wear their Blackshirts for a few more weeks.

Then, a few more weeks of poor displays be the Defense, Zach Bowman asked McKeon one day at a practice why no one was wearing their Blackshirts and he told Bowman that the coaches took them away from the players.

We had a Defensive team last year, at least Starters, who were nothing but big babies and clung to their Blackshirts with no reservations. Only Bowman was a Leader and took his off long before the others were forced to by coaches.

You wonder why our team was so bad last year? That is probably the best example. Poor leadership (Only Bowman led by example)/Crappy play.

Thanks for the post dlrn64. I completely agree with you. I found it very odd that the rest of the defensive player, especially Ruud, did not follow the lead of Bowman. I think that just showed the lack of team unity. I was estatic to hear that Pelini has mentioned and talked with T.O. about bringing the unity councel back.

There's an article on the Lincoln Journal Star website(not sure if this has been mentioned yet, sorry if it has) where Bo says that he isn't really going to look at much film of last season because he said that it is not fair to the players because it might cause judgement on the coaches part of what a player can do. He said that during spring ball that the coaches will impliment their system and see where the players fit. With the new training and conditioning this seems like a great idea since Bo might get sick watching our defense from last year. I guess he said he might peek at a little film, but that it will not change how he evaluates the players. Just some info. Like I said before, sorry if this has already be mentioned.

that makes a lot of sense. everyone will start off with a clean slate, as it should be. that and a new defensive scheme may call for some different skill levels. should be interesting to see how things mesh.

I really believe we will need to address our defensive front. You have to be able to get pressure up front. It makes or breaks your LB's in todays game. I also think dedhoarse our corners will need to step up. It may take some time to get the athleticism we were accustomed to in the 90's. Don't want to make light of intensity and will....Pelini will have that straightened out soon. The ship has righted itself....we just need to upgrade athleticism.

I definately think Bo is the right guy. dedhoarse

I really believe we will need to address our defensive front. You have to be able to get pressure up front. It makes or breaks your LB's in todays game. I also think dedhoarse our corners will need to step up. It may take some time to get the athleticism we were accustomed to in the 90's. Don't want to make light of intensity and will....Pelini will have that straightened out soon. The ship has righted itself....we just need to upgrade athleticism.

I definately think Bo is the right guy. dedhoarse

so true, even with hustle, you need quality athletes. won't happen over night, but slow steady improvement is one thing we should be able to count on.