LAKE CHARLES, La. - Police officers suspected that a car they had pulled over was stolen, so they called the registered owner and left a message.

But when the owner called back, officers say, she apparently thought the message was from a drug dealer, and she was busted for allegedly trying to buy crack cocaine.

"Officers put in a lot of energy to close a case, so we never mind getting one on sheer luck and stupidity," Lake Charles police Sgt. Mark Kraus said of last week's arrest.

He said officers Hope Kingery and George Miller stopped a vehicle for a traffic violation and the driver could not produce identification or a valid driver's license. Miller called the car's registered owner and left a message, but in the meantime they determined that the vehicle wasn't stolen and allowed the driver to leave, Kraus said.

About an hour later, Miller got a call on his cell phone from the apparent owner of the car "who stated that she would like to buy $150 in crack," Kraus said.

Miller agreed to a meeting, which led to the arrest of Jill Foreman, 33, and fiancé Larry Rieck, 49, both of Sulphur.

Foreman was freed on bail after being booked on a charge of conspiracy to distribute a controlled dangerous substance, the sheriff's office said. No phone number was listed for her in Sulphur, and the sheriff's office had no lawyer listed Tuesday for either Rieck or Foreman.

Rieck remained in custody Tuesday on the same charge, the sheriff's office said.

linkage

Last year we ran a drug warrant on a house and siezed a lot of dope and guns. I was searching through one of the dealers phones and decided to answer it. The guy on the other end asked me if I could hook him up with a "game"? (game is a gram) I told him sure come on over but hurry, my old lady is bitching at me so when you knock ask for J. 5 mins later he knocked on the door and he asked for J. Sure enough I opened the door and SUPRISE, I proceeded to place the habiusgrabus on him. Twas a fun day!

Last year we ran a drug warrant on a house and siezed a lot of dope and guns. I was searching through one of the dealers phones and decided to answer it. The guy on the other end asked me if I could hook him up with a "game"? (game is a gram) I told him sure come on over but hurry, my old lady is bitching at me so when you knock ask for J. 5 mins later he knocked on the door and he asked for J. Sure enough I opened the door and SUPRISE, I proceeded to place the habiusgrabus on him. Twas a fun day!

:clap:clap:clap

Nice.

You'd think he'd be like, "Hmm, I don't recognize that voice. Maybe I should just chill for a while."

Christ, people are dumb.