Lucky has unfinished business

Nate

It was pouring rain Thursday in Lincoln, a cold and generally miserable rain.

Too bad the wise old gentleman’s umbrella was broken.

OK, Marlon Lucky actually isn’t so old. He recently turned 22.

However, “Seeing all the young fellas on the team, you feel old,” the Nebraska senior I-back says.

By the way, grandpa Lucky wasn’t complaining about his broken umbrella. Lucky rarely complains these days. After all, he’s weathered his share of storms since his much-anticipated arrival on campus in 2005. He seems much more at peace.

“I remember when I first got here (to Lincoln), I about lost my mind,” says the native of North Hollywood, Calif. “I got homesick and everything. You look back on some of those things, and it’s kind of funny.”

Lucky says Nebraska feels like home now. His homesickness gradually subsided and basically disappeared last spring, he says. He’s no longer the shy and struggling student, the unsure and hesitant rusher, who so often tried to bounce inside running plays to the outside. He no longer feels engulfed by the pressure of being a five-star recruit.

He smiles a lot more than he used to, friends say. In short, the homesick kid from California has matured into a confident adult before our eyes.

He’s taking 17 hours of classes this semester and is on track to complete his sociology degree in December of 2009.

He also seems on track for a big senior season.

“I really didn’t have a great season last year — at least not the season I wanted to have,” he says. “But I finished off the season great.”

Now Lucky hopes to carry that momentum into the 2008 season. Continuing his late 2007 surge — he topped 100 all-purpose yards in each of the final five games to finish with 1,743 — was the impetus behind his decision to remain at Nebraska instead of opting for the NFL.

He still wants to become a stronger runner both mentally and physically.

Bottom line: He was unsure if he was ready to make the big jump.

Nebraska first-year head coach Bo Pelini was happy to keep Lucky in the fold. Lucky discussed the NFL with Pelini about a week before the mid-January deadline for underclassmen to declare for the draft. That meeting was the first time Lucky and Pelini visited at length.

“Bo keeps it really simple,” Lucky says with a chuckle. “He said if you’re not going in the first or second (round), you shouldn’t leave.”

The 6-foot, 215-pound Lucky was projected as a third-round selection in an NFL pre-draft evaluation.

“(Pelini) wanted me to help our team out,” Lucky says. “I’ve heard great things about him. I liked his attitude when I talked to him, so I was like, ‘I’ll stay.’”

When last season started, Lucky was leaning strongly toward skipping his senior season.

However, “As the season went on and we were losing, and we didn’t have that team spirit anymore, I made the decision to stay,” he says.

But he reversed field once again after the season.

“A lot of people put pressure on me, and I started thinking about leaving again,” he says. “Friends at home were saying I should go to the NFL. Everybody was putting in their two cents, and it was getting down to the nitty-gritty.”

“I’m just like any other player,” he adds. “I want to go out with a winning season and get back to a bowl game, because bowl games are fun. I want to have fun my last year.”

So, Lucky no longer is holding back. Not only has he matured off the field, he evidently has grown up on it. He raised eyebrows last November when he admitted he paced himself at times last season, if ever so slightly, mindful of the injury bug that slowed him as a sophomore.

The thing is, Lucky knows he can’t afford to hold back now, what with sophomore Roy Helu enjoying a breakout spring and 6-1, 235-pound Quentin Castille saying he’s determined to be an every-down back.

Here’s the good news for those rooting for Lucky: He welcomes the competition.

He hasn’t always been that way.

“Roy really is standing out,” Lucky says. “He can play in any system he wants to. He’s sharp with his techniques. I love watching him. And Quentin, that’s my boy. He’s big and quick with his feet. He can do just about anything, too.”

Lucky says he was surprised when senior Cody Glenn told him he was moving from I-back to linebacker.

However, “He’s doing an amazing job,” Lucky says. “He’s already like a leader over there. He’s always talking. He’s really happy.”

Lucky can relate.

Some college kids hit a rough patch and drop out, while others persevere.

Make no mistake, Lucky is glad he stayed put.

“I mean, all the immaturity has to leave you at some point,” he says.

“I guess I’ve learned that life has a lot to offer.”

Reach Steven M. Sipple at 473-7440 or ssipple@journalstar.com.